• Yes but ask for more $

Votes: 22 88.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i have had a customer that had a set of gauges fail (they had the GI installed in them), BUT the failure was not due to the Gear indicator. Honda warrantied the unit and sent the customer a new one.

now my dilema is that the customer expects the work to be be redone on the unit.

however, the gauges were sent back to me, to put them back to stock so that the warranty issue would be taken by Honda...so i did get the used electronics back. (BUT had to once again spend time reversing all the work ive done). i also allowed the customer to use a set of my test gauges until this was all worked out so that they didnt miss riding time.this means i need to spend another 3-5 hours of work on something that wasnt my fault.

so now i dont know what to do:
I have spent 6-7 hours working on a set of gauges
i have the old equipment in hand
customer has my loaner gauges
have only been paid to do 1 install
paid to ship the third set of gauges to the customer (which will be $28 out of pocket so far with the loaner gauge shipping)
and now have to do the work a second time (total of 9-12 hours spent on a single customer)

i love my customers and do ANYTHING to keep them happy...but this is starting to get to be quite costly on my end.
ive let the customer know very lightly that i have had to work on an issue for free, but it was kinda shrugged off ...so should i readdress him about it? or would that be beyond decent customer service?

Please let me know

·
Registered
486 Posts
charge him/her the labor since you still have the parts. Explain what you have said in your post. If they don't accept the explanation and are not willing to pay to have the work done then you don't want them as a customer. It sounds like you have already went above and beyond normal expectations.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OHHH yes i want more money!!! but what my question is; do i request more?

and it sounds like the general concensis is yes.

i ve taken great pride in my business and have had 100% positive feedback and i have no reason to start now with displeasing people if i should just buck up and be a good business man about it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
yes, yes, yes, yes, yes..................absolutely

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW, have them offer you more... try not to ask for it as hard as it may be not to.

i did that... this is my quote
as for the gauges... it is good to hear that they covered them under warranty, but it does SUCK that i have to do my job again but for free :(. anyway let me know when the gauges are on there way to me.

so it was ignored

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
If this guy was a nice guy he would have already offered to repay for the gauges, or at least try and negotiate something with you. But it sounds like he is walking all over you now. Sucks when the nice guys get taken advantage of, but it seems he gots you. Sorry bud

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
okay so i though about a reasonable amount to ask for... since they are getting the GI and Color change i can not refund the cost of the LEDs as they are ruined once removed

so $40 for the color work and material
give him going rate of the Gear indicator BRAND NEW = -$109
which would leave for the $100 for the total work of the unit and shipping and all the loose ends.

so request $140 for rework of the unit? god i feel bad, but thats what my math shows...

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Should have never said you do it again for free, now you have too

i never said i would do it again for free.... but then again i didnt really give him a quote on rework...i was more worried about getting him riding and the gauges taken care of under warranty

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
i never said i would do it again for free.... but then again i didnt really give him a quote on rework...i was more worried about getting him riding and the gauges taken care of under warranty
It read like thats what you said,if those are your exact words anyways
DAMN!, you put in "for free" without a question mark behind it???
Exactly, from his quote I think he shot himself in the foot

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I've always been a fan of being honest and direct with the way you approach people, even if it's through email or any other form of impersonal communication. Start off by explaining to him how important it is for you to maintain your reputation as one who has great customer service, but also how after thinking about the service that you are providing for him, is getting to be a bit much (since it is free and has consumed a lot of extra labor hours). Then kindly try to ask the customer to understand the position you are in and meet you half way. Has always worked for me, and you don't have to feel bad :)

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Ya ,, this sux BB, but you did say free, I doubt he is going to offer to pay anything,, you may want to ask him to pay for half of the cost of the labour since the guage fail was not your fault by any reason,, just try to explaine to him that you are losing money on him even if he pays for half of the extra labour,, maybe he will match your good service by being a good customer..

also, some times taking a loss is the cost of business and the cost of keeping a customer happy

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah thats what i thought.... it seems the thread has touched on all my thoughts. god i will be sooo happy when i can phase gauges out of my business plan, they are such a pain in the butt!!!

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
Play the Karma card bro if its meant for you to recover some funds the guy will pay up
if he does take the funds and move on if he is a stiff one and does not pay a dime
so be it God all mighty will make it up for you one way or the other
If you leave it at that premise & be thankful trust me Good karma will fall in your lap
while you ain't expecting it

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
sounds good moe. will do.

now that that is taken care of i want to take 5 seconds to rant about another companies cutomer service :(

i bought an upper receiver for my AR because i needed one for a comp shoot Sat. i called Friday evening and talked to this company for an hour... telling him how important it was that i had it in my hands before the weekend. he assured me that three day UPS would take care of that. i asked him to email me a tracking... but he said just email him and hell forward it when he ships monday morning. so i emailed him so he had my addy. monday morn no email from him... he called at 12:00 and said he just shipped, so i went to comp to verify ship, but no email, so i reminded him to send me the tracking... no response until today where we went back and forth over the phone about the tracking, finally i got it (he shipped when he said he did) BUT he sent it GROUND!!!!! so it doesnt get here til monday...which is NO good!!!!

well anyway thank you for the rant and i am clear of that but still frustrated my $1558 upper is still not going to be here in time and there is no way to get it in time :( any one have 10.5 POF upper i can borrow :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts