Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have no keys. i bought my bike from an auction and they just gave me the bike. i have had it for 2 weeks and havent even started it yet :tard:. can i take my vin to a dealership and get a key made off of it? or do i have to take off my ignition and bring it to a lock smith? if so how do i go about taking my ignition off, is it tough? thanks a lot! :wave:

·
Registered
116 Posts
sounds me like you stole the bike, if thats the case shame on you. if not i apologize. anyway what you're probably going to have to do is get a whole new ignition,gas cap and your rear cowl. unless you have the original title or something and can prove the bike wasn't stolen. when i bought mine i got a key code# in case i loose both my keys i can get new ones with that number, if i don't have that number then i am SOL.

·
Administrator
51,152 Posts
You bought a bike that had no keys seems fishy to me

·
DID has A beard
322 Posts
It doesn't seem too fishy, he said he bought it at an auction. Probably a repo and when they went to collect the bike, the owner most likely didn't come out to be a nice guy and offer the key. I'm sure he bought as-is and that didn't include a key.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I bought a repo and it came with 2 keys. Not OEM Honda keys, but DIY from Lowes. The original owner has the key still - not too comforting for me.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
It doesn't seem too fishy, he said he bought it at an auction. Probably a repo and when they went to collect the bike, the owner most likely didn't come out to be a nice guy and offer the key. I'm sure he bought as-is and that didn't include a key.
or he just said he bought it at an auction just so a gullible person as yourself would answer his question so he can find a key for the stolen bike.. notice how he hasnt replied yet, that might tell you something

·
Registered
74 Posts
or he just said he bought it at an auction just so a gullible person as yourself would answer his question so he can find a key for the stolen bike.. notice how he hasnt replied yet, that might tell you something

you should read his other posts before accusing him of anything....seems to be pretty legit.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
lots of auction bikes come without keys.take the ignition off and have a key cut.

if it was a stolen bike why would he bother asking?why would he use the vin?

you can also buy a complete key set used off ebay or a bike wrecker or a new factory set and that replaces all the locks.

you only need one key so take the seat lock,gas cap or ignition and the one key will fit all locks

·
Registered
147 Posts
^Hey BCC..:wave:

anyways, take the ignition off and take it to the dealership. The dealership will read the number stamped on the cylinder, cut a key and check it in the lock to make sure it works. When I did this it cost me $6.00.. you can just find the number and give it to the dealer and they can cut the key but there's no guarantee it will work, sometimes the key has to be "adjusted" a bit to work. A locksmith can do all this too, and in fact if the dealer can't cut a working key they will call a locksmith to do it.

the ignition is easy to remove. Remove the front fairings, undo the two bolts holding the ignition on and unclip the wire.

·
Registered
756 Posts
you might be able to do this but this is what they do for cars... You need a registration, the vin number and your ID. You take those 3 to the dealership and they'll make you a new one

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
maybe its legit, maybe its not. but buying a bike with no keys just doesn't sound smart IMO. Unless you already know what to do in case the keys are missing (not in this case since he was asking what to do).

·
Registered
147 Posts
well whatever you think it's fairly common for auction bikes to not have keys. As I stated my track bike came with no keys.. from an insurance auction.

·
Registered
796 Posts
^Hey BCC..:wave:

anyways, take the ignition off and take it to the dealership. The dealership will read the number stamped on the cylinder, cut a key and check it in the lock to make sure it works. When I did this it cost me $6.00.. you can just find the number and give it to the dealer and they can cut the key but there's no guarantee it will work, sometimes the key has to be "adjusted" a bit to work. A locksmith can do all this too, and in fact if the dealer can't cut a working key they will call a locksmith to do it.

the ignition is easy to remove. Remove the front fairings, undo the two bolts holding the ignition on and unclip the wire.
Thank you. Time to go steal some bikes and get legit keys! Jk.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ahhaha well thanks guys. if i stole the bike would i really be willing to take the vin number to the dealership and get a new key made? probably not. also how would i register it? i dont even understand how stolen bikes are useful other then parting out, and the main parts (such as engine) have a vin stamped on it anyways.

anyways to the one dude that helped thanks a lot. im going to try and take the ignition off now although yu would think you would need some kind of special tool or somthing?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
take the vin to the dealer and they will cut u a key.. (need proof of ownership)..

....by any chance... they didnt give u the title either?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts