Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking at bikes for over 2 years now and Ive finally come to a conclusion that im ready to make the jump. Ive found a 2007 cbr with 2,300 miles locally. The guy had it listed for 7,500 so I called and asked him if he would consider taking 7,000 for it instead. He said yes if i was really serious about buying the bike. I told him i was looking to buy this week.

So i ride an hour away to look at it thinking it was mint. When i get there he tells me he had it fall over in his driveway a few months ago and it did minor damage. I take a look at it and can see that it has a few scratches on the passenger pegs and about 3 little scuffs on the rear swing arm. In the process the left rear taillight broken as well. I wasn't too concerned with all this as i am going to replace the tail light anyways. So basically there is zero damage to the plastics. I was wanting to get your guys opinion on me offering him 6,500 for the bike. I would come pay for it tomorrow if he would accept that. Is that a good price for me to pay or am i completely low balling him. He is including a free helmet and a jacket that he only wore 3 times.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Here is the bike
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/mcy/778733219.html

·
Registered
216 Posts
Bike looks good but scratches on the swingarm usually mean the bike has been down harder than a simple fall. And if insurance ever looks at it, scratches on the swingarm and frame usually mean the bike is totalled.

D

·
0 Posts
Take a closer look at the bike. Ask the guy if he'll let you pull some of the plastics off to inspect the frame and whatnot. Scratches on the swingarm and a broken tail light doesn't seem like a small tip-over. He probably messed up on a wheelie or something and just threw some new plastics on the bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just spoke with him and he is going to take pictures of the scratches and email them to me so i can post them up on here for you guys to see. From looking at them they didnt seem that bad, but it definitely concerned me. I like the idea of taking the plastics off to check underneath.

·
i love juggggggggzzz
7,498 Posts
i agree scratches on a swingarm do not sound like it just tipped over, but you never know. but scratches on a swingarm or frame do not mean its totaled, i have a scratch on my frame from a screwdriver is my bike totaled? no.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the swingarm needed to be replaced what would it run me? I wouldnt mind the other scratches, but the swing arm deal has me worried that something else could be wrong. This is my first bike and i dont want to get screwed.

D

·
0 Posts
If the swingarm needed to be replaced what would it run me? I wouldnt mind the other scratches, but the swing arm deal has me worried that something else could be wrong. This is my first bike and i dont want to get screwed.
Depending on where you get a swingarm from, maybe around $100. There's a lot of rear parts on eBay for cheap.

·
Registered
216 Posts
i agree scratches on a swingarm do not sound like it just tipped over, but you never know. but scratches on a swingarm or frame do not mean its totaled, i have a scratch on my frame from a screwdriver is my bike totaled? no.
I said usually. No, a scratch from where you fucked up cuz you cant work on your bike does not mean it is totalled. But if a bike went down hard enough to scratch either the swingarm or frame then there is a possibilty it is tweaked and insurance companies dont play around with that stuff. They dont want an unsafe bike on the road cuz i bike is cheaper to replace than hospital bills.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Once i post the pictures of the swingarm i think it will help alot. I should have taken them while i was there, but i forgot. So even if i had to replace swing arm im looking at $200 for that. I think the swingarm would be fine to ride on so id probably just touch it up with some paint. When i go tomorrow to look at it i will bring my tools and take the plastics off to make sure the frame is not damaged. If he does not let me do that i will not purchase it. Anything else you guys think i should check? I knew there was some kind of check list your suppose to do when you purchase a new bike, but i cant seem to find it anywhere.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Check the oil. If a bike has an engine tick some guys will over fill the oil to quite it down. Also check the chain and sprocket. Make sure they dont have stuff caked all over it. You wanna make sure the bike was taken care of.

·
i love juggggggggzzz
7,498 Posts
I said usually. No, a scratch from where you fucked up cuz you cant work on your bike does not mean it is totalled. But if a bike went down hard enough to scratch either the swingarm or frame then there is a possibilty it is tweaked and insurance companies dont play around with that stuff. They dont want an unsafe bike on the road cuz i bike is cheaper to replace than hospital bills.
youre right i dont know how to work on my bike, but based on what ive read you cant ride yours or give solid advice.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was also wondering if i could take it to a honda dealership and have them take a look at it. I dont know how much this would cost, but if its possible i would feel much better having a honda mechanic take a look at the bike. I know a good bit about cars, but bikes arent my specialty. Has anyone ever done this?

D

·
0 Posts
That would probably cost a lot to do, and I personally wouldn't trust a tech at a dealership. Bringing a bike in to see if it's in good order before you buy it, they'll probably bs you big time trying to get money out of your pockets by saying this and that is broken and whatnot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i just found the evaluation guide for buying a used motorcycle and read the entire thing. I will take a much closer look at the bike when i go tomorrow. I will definitely ask him to take some of the plastics off to see the frame. I will also check the oil and see if it is at the proper level. Should i be worried about testing the compression of the cylinders? Thanks for all the help so far guys. Im really looking forward to getting a bike.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
the fact that the add dont say anything about scratches or broken light leaves me sceptical! (is the broken light the tail or turn?)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well i can understand him not saying anything in the add because if you did then no one would come look at it. Once most people see that something is broken then they automatically run away even if it is something small, but yes i do understand what your saying. Tomorrow i will definitely give it a more thorough look over. Its the turn signal. It has the stock fender so the turn signal sticks way out on the side.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What do you guys think about me buying the bike for 6,500? Is this a good deal or should i look for something better. I don't even know if he will take 6,500, but its all im going to offer him. Id like some input on this as well.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 52 Posts