Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so like many of you im sure, i am on a low budget for my "hobbies" and i have about 3k saved up, i have the option to buy a scratched up 05 600rr (http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/mcy/2404359972.html) and save up for all the safety gear (helmet, jacket, golves, etc.) and get my license and take the safety course later. should i get the bike first, and then everything else, or get the equipment and license first and then get the bike?? thoughts....

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
can you go look at this bike? the seller states that it needs an "idle" put on the bike? not sure what that means exactly. how long have you been shopping? it usually takes a while to find the right bike for the right price. if you are handy, and can go look at this bike, AND you think you can do the work it needs then maybe it's the right one for you. only thing is, you need the gear to ride it safely. 3 grand is a pretty good price if the thing doesn't need much. used parts and gear are all over the classifieds here. it's a tough decision, GL. IMO, i would keep shopping just a little longer and save a little more and get the one you want. you will know it when you find it.

·
Registered
667 Posts
The bike is useless without the rest, IMO. you can always a get a bike. Get your gear, take the MSF course, get your license, get the bike. By the time you get the bike you'll prob have more money saved as well. Getting the bike know will just tempt you everyday and chances are you'll cave and open yourself up for a world of trouble.

·
BOTM Winner 05/15
9,996 Posts
I got a pair of Icon gloves that aren't the prettiest, but cover your hands. No rash, just need some reconditioning. If you want them, they are yours. I also have a 3 year old, Snell approved HJC that you are welcome to. Again, not the prettiest, but never wrecked, dropped, etc. A good cleaning inside and out, and she'd be all set. Your's if you need it, just cover shipping.

***Mods, if this is against the rules, please delete.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
i just think you can get a better deal than that.

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
Go check it out, if you have even the slightest doubt pass on it. If you are interested I am considering selling my bike for 5k and am located in Houston. You will need to get street fairings, but there is over $5000 worth of upgrades that will come with the bike as well as every stock part I have. So you could sell the aftermarket stuff and make at least half the money back. Pm me if you are interested.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
I got a pair of Icon gloves that aren't the prettiest, but cover your hands. No rash, just need some reconditioning. If you want them, they are yours. I also have a 3 year old, Snell approved HJC that you are welcome to. Again, not the prettiest, but never wrecked, dropped, etc. A good cleaning inside and out, and she'd be all set. Your's if you need it, just cover shipping.

***Mods, if this is against the rules, please delete.
Far from against the rules! Your doing the bloke a good turn, how can there be anything wrong with that?

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
so like many of you im sure, i am on a low budget for my "hobbies" and i have about 3k saved up, i have the option to buy a scratched up 05 600rr (http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/mcy/2404359972.html) and save up for all the safety gear (helmet, jacket, golves, etc.) and get my license and take the safety course later. should i get the bike first, and then everything else, or get the equipment and license first and then get the bike?? thoughts....
Bike doesn't look to bad from the pics, but as darkfader said, f*knows what he means by putting the idle back in...

Definitely worth going to have a look at.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya im super swamped with work this week, hopefully ill be able to contact the seller and go check it out next week if i get a chance. im a bit skeptical about this bike cuz i honestly dont know anything about bikes mechanically so as far as the mysterious idle issue, id have to take it to a dealer or something to get checked out before i went any further, and im not sure thats even worth the effort.

·
BOTM Winner 05/15
9,996 Posts
There are a lot of folks in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that I am sure would show you the ropes. Just gotta ask.

.... And maybe by the pizza and brews!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hey yeah lurk around here and you''ll find some riding gear like the genorous offer from Chad.. I've got some but probs too much to post to US from Australia.. Just let us all know what sizes you are and i'm sure someone will hook you up for minimum cash and shipping. (admin can freshman do that?) As for the bike...well i'd hold off a bit and save a bit more cash and you'll get a much nicer bike... it's worth the wait. I shopped around for 6 months before i came across an immaculate 05 with v low kms. Anyways good luck with it all mate... sorry i'm rambling but i'm 4 beers in...lols.... ;P

I just looked at the pics and ad on this bike and reckon it sounds/looks like ****. 500 -1000 more and you'll get the goods. Otherwise you'll just spend that getting this one fixed... blah..beer!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
can you go look at this bike? the seller states that it needs an "idle" put on the bike? not sure what that means exactly. how long have you been shopping? it usually takes a while to find the right bike for the right price. if you are handy, and can go look at this bike, AND you think you can do the work it needs then maybe it's the right one for you. only thing is, you need the gear to ride it safely. 3 grand is a pretty good price if the thing doesn't need much. used parts and gear are all over the classifieds here. it's a tough decision, GL. IMO, i would keep shopping just a little longer and save a little more and get the one you want. you will know it when you find it.
agreed! don't buy for the sake of buying! time and research is gonna save your bacon, plus you'll learn as you do that the more you shop, the more you'll learn the nuances of bikes and what's good and what's not. Don't put the carriage before the horse.

G/L dude.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Spend time and money on the BEST you can afford for both you and your ride.

Buy a cheap bike that is in bad condition, and it'll spend a long time sitting there, and you'll be upset you can't ride it. Will leave a bad taste in your mouth. And you'll hate it for a long time....

Buy cheap gear, and it may not last very long. You'll end up spending more money on more gear yet again because the first wore out and broke prematurely. If the event of an unfortunate incident, you want to be able to get up and walk away. That is how you should look at your gear. It should be of high quality, but also fit properly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Spend time and money on the BEST you can afford for both you and your ride.

Buy a cheap bike that is in bad condition, and it'll spend a long time sitting there, and you'll be upset you can't ride it. Will leave a bad taste in your mouth. And you'll hate it for a long time....

Buy cheap gear, and it may not last very long. You'll end up spending more money on more gear yet again because the first wore out and broke prematurely. If the event of an unfortunate incident, you want to be able to get up and walk away. That is how you should look at your gear. It should be of high quality, but also fit properly.
thats good advice man thanks alot. you all have been giving me great advice, and the more i think about it the more i think im just itching to get out and ride!! but im gonna sack up and wait til i find the right one.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Far from against the rules! Your doing the bloke a good turn, how can there be anything wrong with that?

amen to that NICO!!!!!

Good show bro!!!! This is what a community is all about,

Check the bike out OP, it doesnt look like it had frame sliders when it went down, so be sure to look at the frame and under that fairing,

have someone go with you that knows bikes, if they know 600rrs, even better, RUN THE VIN!!!!! make sure about mileage and all that,

keep looking if it isnt the right one, and stack your gear, just be on the look out for the right bike,

while learning always gear up!!!! good luck!!!

·
Registered
387 Posts
alxhockey - the temptation to jump the gun and buy a bike is high. Don't rush into it. It is super tempting, but hold off and think wisely. We're at the start of bike season, so prices on bikes go up. IF you can hold off,...hold off until towards late summer (depends on your location) and when you do, prices drop. And gear starts getting cheaper at that time too. Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so the other day i went to a local shop that sells moto gear (moto-liberty for those of you in the dallas area) and got fitted, i as extremely pleased with their service! i was helped my a guy named jimmy, he rocks! found alot of cool stuff in there, figured out what sizes fit me best and in what styles! now i just gotta buy tha damn stuff!!! :-( expensive but worth it

·
Registered
667 Posts
so the other day i went to a local shop that sells moto gear (moto-liberty for those of you in the dallas area) and got fitted, i as extremely pleased with their service! i was helped my a guy named jimmy, he rocks! found alot of cool stuff in there, figured out what sizes fit me best and in what styles! now i just gotta buy tha damn stuff!!! :-( expensive but worth it
That's awesome bro. Nice restraint. And just like the bike, shop around for your gear too. I would check with the vendors on here before buying anywhere else. You'd be surprised how cheaply they can get stuff to your door. You just gotta send them PMs and ask.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.