Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into purchasing a used 2008 600rr this weekend from a local seller. Bike has 3200 miles on it, oil has been changed at 500 miles & 1500 miles and tire conditions are good. Seller admitted that the bike has been down once on a corner at about 15mph. Images shows 2 minor scratches that is not very noticeable. He also mentioned that he took it to the dealership to get it inspected after the accident and the results came out negative, however he doesn't have the paperwork to back this up.

Is there anything else I should be concern about or questions to ask before purchase? Thanks in advance for any buying tips.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
check the engice/clutch casings for marks, the foot pegs/pillion pegs from scratches/scrapes etc
bar ends/levers for damage if they are bent etc
Mirrors scrape marks on them..

Really try and find as many scratches as possible and then state well its $50 to replace the mirrors, bar ends $20 etc etc

As buying a damaged bike comes with worries, Ask if he has changed the air filter, has he the original books? receipts of oil change?

·
Registered
533 Posts
ask about the service by dealer or self done? receipts? look under teh rear tail for the chunks of rubber from burnouts- they can be scrubbed off but take some muscle. that will help tell if he abused the bike or if hes just that anal about seeling and didn't want to miss teh abuse.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Go read this...

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

And let the words of the Gospel itself lead you to a fit new ride.
Nice link, thanks!

Further to checking the VIN, make sure it has a clean title (not salvage, non-repairable, or stolen) and do a lien seach to make sure there is no money owing on the bike, because you can unintentionally assume the loan on the bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
checklist

Below is a basic list that I got from somewhere on the web.

I've used it several times when looking at used bikes to buy. I put it in a spreadsheet, print it out and just check the items off as I'm inspecting. Feel free to use it, modify it for your own purposes.

I find that it keeps me on track and makes sure I don't take short-cuts or get caught up in how great a bike looks or sounds.

Again, its a basic list but its served me well. Good luck.

MC Inspection Checklist

1. Obvious different paint work that may have been done to cover up damage, or stickers trying to hide damage

2. Bent or replaced levers, mirrors or forks and dents that may indicate that the bike has been crashed.

3. Any misaligned panels.

4. Do the tires have reasonable tread left and are there any signs (wear in the center of the tire) of tire spin

5. Check for holes or rust in the exhaust

6. Can the gas cap be locked with the motorcycle key and are there any signs of rust inside the tank

7. Is the upholstery in good condition and does that lock work with the motorcycle key

8. Does the front and back suspension move smoothly and quietly when pressing down and releasing

9. Is the chain in good condition, is the tension correct and are the sprocket teeth not bent or worn

10. Is there tension in the front brakes and do they work properly when tested on a rolling bike (same with rear brake)

11. Do the wheels have dents

12. White deposits on motorcycle batteries are not a good sign

13. Check the oil color through the sight glass or use a dip stick to see if it was recently changed

14. Check the coolant color ‐ bright green is normal and may confirm that the motorcycle was not used for racing

15. Does the motorcycle battery start the engine easily from cold and does it run smoothly

16. Is the oil pressure light working properly

17. Test the headlights, indicators, neutral light, horn and brake light

18. Is the side stand cut‐off working

19. Does the kill‐switch on the handgrip work

20. Are any fluids leaking from the engine

21. Confirm the odometer is working properly by riding or have the seller ride it and enter the reading on the motorcycle bill of sale

22. Check VIN on bike vs paperwork

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice link, thanks!

Further to checking the VIN, make sure it has a clean title (not salvage, non-repairable, or stolen) and do a lien seach to make sure there is no money owing on the bike, because you can unintentionally assume the loan on the bike.
How can I do a lien search on the bike?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts