Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just what the topic says im new here and i want to learn as much as i can. as of right now i dont have a bike nor do i have the license to ride. ive always wanted to have a bike and i think im mentally ready for the experience. the type of bike im looking into is a '98+ honda cbr 600. from the ppl ive spoke to (locallly) they have told me that a 600cc bike would be a nice bike to start with because its not to slow nor is it to fast. i think a lot of people get the impression that i want a bike to speed up adn down the freeway. just to let you people here know im not in it for the speed. there a lot of things i dont know about bikes that i need to know. i know some stuff but not enough. i would like to know what are the things i need to look into when purchasing a used bike and what not, because i know this isnt like buying a car. im really big into the integra scene (www.team-integra.net) so i know my fair share about automobiles.

im not sure if this site has aritcles or anything like that that would help a newbiee like me. if there is a place where i can read about things before i start reposting the same topic that was already asked, please direct me to appropriate sites.

thank you

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
Welcome, and learn to use the search. It's tough to deal with at first, because you have to use words like AND, OR, and NOT to narrow your searches down.

Believe me when I say A 600cc BIKE IS REALLY FAST. Compared to a liter bike and +...it's "slow"...but any modern 600cc sportbike (within the last 5 or 6 years) will knock your socks off. A lot of people think that a 600cc bike is too big to start out on, I could go either way, I think with a good head on your shoulders 600cc's is just fine, because that's what I stared out on.

There's also a "commonly asked questions" section floating around somewhere...take a peek in there too.

There's also a little button at the top of the main forums page that says "view all posts since last visit" or something...I think that's a very good tool to use each time you come, because just by chance you could stumble across something you weren't intentionally looking for, but at the same time very helpful and informing. And it'll keep you updated so you don't repost the same pictures and videos 9 other people have.

Anyway, welcome to the site

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Welcome to the site justVncredible.

Yeah, like meddiepie said, learn to use the search feature on this site. It is a great tool, and will keep you from being flamed for making reduntant posts. You should be able to find the answers to most, if not all, of you questions here. below are some links that will help (maybe)

Search
Frequently Asked Questions

Again, welcome to the site, and good luck with getting your ride...

·
Registered
932 Posts
justYncredible, Welcome to the forum! It definitely sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders! If you would like to learn how to ride, the first step is the MSF BRC course. It is an absolute must! It also has the advantage that it will supply you with a 200cc bike to take the class. You will go over proper street riding technique, things you need to be on the look-out for on the road, and how to handle unexpected situations without panicing and making things worse. I can't stress this enough...TAKE THE MSF BRC COURSE!

There are a lot of people on this board who can help you out considerably. Just ask and they will be more than happy to give you help. (providing you can take a little razzing along the way :D )

P.S. The throttle works in both the open and closed position. Self-restraint is the key when you are learning how to ride.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i feel welcomed already
yes i know about the search function hehe because on this other site (car forum) we stress that as well. i did use the function but found it kind of hard because im use to searching for car related parts and or concern or issues. FAQ didnt have what i was looking for :(

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
Hey, check out SoCalSVriders.org....

They are the most newbie friendly site I've EVER been to.

They stress safety above all else, and the pertinent threads get brought back up often because the Mods there are super ontop of things and merge the threads together really quickly....

So everytime a newb comes and asks what to look for in a used bike, his post gets merged onto the thread that already covers that, and the whole thing is brought to the top of the site list. check it out.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Welcome to the board justYncredible :thumbup:,

I agree with both Meddiepie954rr and quantumfield here. The 600cc bikes are too fast for some new riders. But by taking the MSF course on their bikes they provide it will give you the chance to guage your skills to determine what size is best for you to start on. As a new rider, I would advise you buy a helmet, pants, gloves, and a jacket BEFORE you even get the bike. This way your not tempted to ride unprotected. I know how strong the temptation can be to just "take it around the block" (see note #12 below). Here are some of the results brought forth by a recent study from the University of Southern California (USC) with funding from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

12. Most motorcycle accidents involve a short trip associated with shopping, errands, friends, entertainment or recreation, and the accident is likely to happen in a very short time close to the trip origin.

24. The motorcycle riders involved in accidents are essentially without training; 92% were self-taught or learned from family or friends. Motorcycle rider training experience reduces accident involvement and is related to reduced injuries in the event of accidents.

25. More than half of the accident-involved motorcycle riders had less than 5 months experience on the accident motorcycle, although the total street riding experience was almost 3 years. Motorcycle riders with dirt bike experience are significantly underrepresented in the accident data.

40. The use of heavy boots, jacket, gloves, etc., is effective in preventing or reducing abrasions and lacerations, which are frequent but rarely severe injuries.

43. Seventy-three percent of the accident-involved motorcycle riders used no eye protection, and it is likely that the wind on the unprotected eyes contributed in impairment of vision which delayed hazard detection.

Look for the complete list of information about the study here:

http://600rr.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18400&highlight=

Tim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as for the gear where is a good place to purchase the gear for a resonable price? i hear its pretty expensive. as for a helmet i would like to have a plan black helmet because im going to get a wu-tang symbol painted on it. but anyways im getting a jacket adn gloves, i just dont know where to get the pants.

the bikes power (meaning 600cc) i know its gonna be fast and a huge difference from drving in a car than riding on a bike. this is what "i plan" on doing. i would like to practice everyday riding (in the traffic city) for a few weeks everyday for an hr or more, so i can get a feel for the bike the learn how to move with it. once i get comfortable with that ill take access roads near the highway and get on and off the highway until i feel safe enough to do it. i think the biggest factor will be being nerves or scared that something "could" happen.

hopefully i could ride with a crew down where i live once i get better at riding.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
justYncredible, if you were in Ft Worth I would tell you moto liberty. That shop has everything in stock for you to check out and try on.

Gear is more important than you bike, figure out your tatal budget and get the gear FIRST! Then if all you can afford is a POS, so be it at least you are riding safe.

Nevermind riding with a "crew," but actually other safety conscious riders. Too many guys play show off once a group gets bigger than 3 or 4.

BTW, welcome.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hondaf4iguy, i never thought of it that way. i remember when there was a integra meet and we tried to cruise together in a straignt line. ok this is 30+ cars that have to follow each other... it worked for about 5min.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
justYncredible said:
just to let you people here know im not in it for the speed. there a lot of things i dont know about bikes that i need to know.
J-
elcome to the site. I've been here a little bit and find the people here pretty helpful and informative, if not a bit witty... :roll:

First bike? not interested in speed? Good. get yourself a suzuki gs500 or a kawasaki ex500 to start. Low power but plenty to get you going fast. Much better first bike than a 98 cbr. If you have to get a cbr get an older one like the cbr600f2. it'd be better in the long run for you and you'll learn to be a better rider.

check out this link for some info:
http://www.beginnerbikes.com/editorials/formequalsfunction.htm

For gear check out newenough.com in their closeout section for some screaming deals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts