Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2008 cbr600rr and i just changed the oil and the sight glass looked perfect.
3 days later i checked the sight glass again and its completely full when fully warmed up.
I drained the oil and to me it smelt like gas.. to my buddies it didn't (could just be me freaking out)
so how can i tell if gas is getting into my oil pan?
am i reading the sight glass wrong or should the sight glass not be completely full when the bike is completely warmed up thanks.:retard:

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
i have a 2008 cbr600rr and i just changed the oil and the sight glass looked perfect.
3 days later i checked the sight glass again and its completely full when fully warmed up.
I drained the oil and to me it smelt like gas.. to my buddies it didn't (could just be me freaking out)
am i reading the sight glass wrong or should the sight glass not be completely full when the bike is completely warmed up thanks.:retard:
Are you following the instructions in the owners manual?
Is the bike on just a rear stand when you're checking it?

Pretty sure if it's overfilled it'll run & shift like crap and you'll have blow by which might explain the smell...none of those things are good tbh.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Whenever I do my oil, I make sure it's just a little more than between low/full in sight glass. Not half way, just a little more. Never had issues. Check it when it is upright.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Whenever I do my oil, I make sure it's just a little more than between low/full in sight glass. Not half way, just a little more. Never had issues. Check it when it is upright.
Just make sure you shut the engine off before checking the level; if it's still running the sight will appear empty and you'll really overfill it...also if you are using a rear stand, use a front so the bike has right angles both front, back and side to side.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,728 Posts
You're over thinking this. Probably didn't have the bike perfectly vertical. It doesn't take much lean to have it read falsely. A tiny bit too little or too much isn't a big deal

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Just make sure you shut the engine off before checking the level; if it's still running the sight will appear empty and you'll really overfill it...also if you are using a rear stand, use a front so the bike has right angles both front, back and side to side.
Yeah, bike is off when I check it, not on rear stand, just garage floor. Get the Wife to hold it upright whilst I look. :)

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
You're over thinking this. Probably didn't have the bike perfectly vertical. It doesn't take much lean to have it read falsely. A tiny bit too little or too much isn't a big deal
You're right, that's I use both stands...if I used a bubble level that might be a little much, lowering the front gets more old oil out when draining the pan though...to me, overthinking things is almost like saying close enough though.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Used oil often smells like gas. I wouldn't worry about that but would make sure the oil levels are appropriate. Too much is not good.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

Dude, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but you've started 5 threads about changing oil in the past 4 days and I fear for your bike's life.

Please go buy a service manual; you can get them used for the cost of an oil change on eBay or amazon. Even the owner's manual covers the basic steps of an oil change and would have prevented this issue.

There's nothing wrong with asking questions on the forum, that's what it's for, but after 5 threads...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
More like 3.... And the only reason why I'm asking is because I'm putting exactly what it calls for in the Manual and it's still extremely full. I'd be in fear for my bikes life if I didn't ask questions and investigate it........

·
Registered
862 Posts
Doing some quick maths you'll find that 3qts of engine oil will expand approximately to 3.35 qts when heated from 70f to 170f. Don't know the volume the marks on the sight glass correspond to but that's something to think about. When you drained the old oil, some probably remained in the engine so when you added fresh oil, you probably ended up with some noticeably more volume. Account for that and the volumetric expansion and you get a full glass.

This is why you should fill new oil by looking at the sight glass and not going by pure volume, and make sure that the bike is upright when you fill.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Doing some quick maths you'll find that 3qts of engine oil will expand approximately to 3.35 qts when heated from 70f to 170f. Don't know the volume the marks on the sight glass correspond to but that's something to think about. When you drained the old oil, some probably remained in the engine so when you added fresh oil, you probably ended up with some noticeably more volume. Account for that and the volumetric expansion and you get a full glass.

This is why you should fill new oil by looking at the sight glass and not going by pure volume, and make sure that the bike is upright when you fill.
Also why I use the stands, when it stops draining, there's still over 16 oz. still in and that's where the last, and probably dirtiest, oil sits.

·
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner
2,862 Posts
Ive always dumped in 3qts and the sight glass has always showed the correct amount. If you dumped in 4 I would be worried but you put in 3 as per the manual and as what everyone else does. Your bikes fine stop freaking out.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
my 09 lovingly takes about 3.2 lts oil with every oil/filter change.

run motor for 2 mins after fill.

bike upright and level.

hits top of straight part of oil level mark .

everytime.

ps i let oil drain for 15 mins plus.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
You know, to be honest some oil changes can be a pain getting the levels perfect, which is not really a big deal, but if you have the extra time, wait for the bike to cool down and let it sit until it's cold. When I'm at work and I need to do "quick oil changes" which I despise, I like to let it drain for as long as I can, add some oil, let it run real quick, shut it off and work on something else that the customer needs done, this way I'm getting stuff done while not adding too much oil by not letting the oil gather back into the oil pan. I honestly am not capable of doing an oil change and getting the oil level perfect without letting it sit for a while, because you can't judge the level when there's half a liter still gravitating down towards the pan. This is why I hate hate hate when someone's waiting in the front of the shop for an oil change because the ONLY way to get the perfect oil level is to have it sit for a while and then top it off. Having said this, I generally always have too much oil in my bikes, not anything excessive, but I know if I were to "overfill" it a bit, It's not going to make a hoot of difference, but for a customer, I definitely care very much. My aprilia track bike is a whole other story though, if you don't measure out the right amount in that thing, you're going to pump a whole lot of oil through the airbox and have it piss out onto your skid plate which in turn, will get on your rear tire and then you'll lowside on the track and get your arm run over by another aprilia followed by a ktm.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts