Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
BTW the big red text wasn't aimed at you James, if anything more at Grab_Ths, I can't stress enough just how important this is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I bought a new battery, and my old battery was still good. Didn't fix the problem, Low end was 10 and he said he was surprised the battery was still good after 4 years. Bought a new one just to try, and It's still the same thing.

·
2 R's are better than 1!
105 Posts
For starters:

NEVER DISCONNECT THE BATTERY WITH THE BIKE RUNNING!

It is a very good way to blow something up, including your r/r, ecu and gauges.

The battery soaks up a lot of transient voltages that the r/r doesn't catch.

The bike will not produce enough voltage to charge the battery till around 3.5k RPM, it will not produce enough to run the bike until around 1.8k rpm. Thats why you test the charging system at 5k RPM - its within its operating range.

If your battery is 4 years old then its probably stuffed.

Also check your engine stop relay, swap it with the fan one, it supplies power to the fuel pump (via the fuel cut relay) and the coils, if the contacts are a little burnt that may explain the problem as well, if swapping the engine stop relay doesn't work then try the fuel cut relay.
Roger that, thanks for the tip Nico

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well I'm bringing it to a mechanic tomorrow who's gonna ride it, Apparently he should be able to figure out by that. So I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Roger that, thanks for the tip Nico
No worries mate, I have seen a fair few cages damaged by disconnecting the battery, yet to see a bike damaged but I don't work on that many bikes.

Again I really cant tell you how important it is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The only thing the mechanic I brought it to could come up with was bypassing the tilt sensor or something because he noticed it would jerk and lose power alot more when in turns.

I'll let you know what he figures out.. I left it to him and hes gonna work on it this upcoming week.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
BAS could do it, but they generally work or don't work, could just be wiring to the fuel cut relay.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My bike does the same thing. It happens all the time. So I pull over and shut it off. Let it sit for 5 mins. Start up and good to go. Well just til I get to where I need to go. Any luck on ur bike yet.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Looks like there's a short somewhere in your bike... tough thing to find...

Normal places for shorts are: Alternator, R/R, blinkers... Still could be anywhere.

Last time I had one of these, my mech. needed two weeks to find that the short was in the R/R

·
Registered
12 Posts
Howzit Mugen

I had same issue and was beating my head against the wall for a month. After being to the mechanic 4 or 5 times , found the problem to be the fuel pump

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did anyone ever figure out how to fix this issue? I have he same problem on my '02 f4i.
Not real sure but I have an 04 cbr600rr that's doing the same thing now.
No throttle body 02 sensor or pc hooked up right now and it's still doing so. Gonna try fuel pump and see what happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure if you figured this out yet (9 years later.. lol), but I've noticed a trend with the RR's having this issue..

You mentioned that it happens when you hit a bump..

If you look under the seat you will see there's a fuse next to a relay by your battery..

Check all the wires to make sure they are not loose or broken..

My bike did the same thing and turns out it was simply a loose wire back there causing the bike to open the circuit from the battery.
It would only happen intermittently and especially when I would hit bumps..

I'm sure it's probably fixed by now as I'm posting in 2019 from the original post in 2010..
I'm sure if anyone else is having this issue.. What I mentioned above would be a good spot to check first before deciding to pull your tank..

·
Registered
1 Posts
could it possibly be the MAP sensor, I know that controls idle, my 11 flhx is doing the same thing...i should be recieving my new MAP sensor tom to hopefully fix the issue

·
Registered
6 Posts
could it possibly be the MAP sensor, I know that controls idle, my 11 flhx is doing the same thing...i should be recieving my new MAP sensor tom to hopefully fix the issue
I discovered that my kick stand sensor wire was losing connection hence causing my bike to cutout/sputter. Sorted now.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts