Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I was planning an evening ride. I go behind my house and bring my bike out front and clean it up... As I'm doing so, a dude drives by real slow in some blacked out SUV on huge chrome rims. He stops and yells "Nice Bike". I say thanks and continue what I'm doing.

Next thing I know he pulls over and him and a buddy get out. His buddy pulls a camera and take pictures of the truck, trying to look busy..while the guy walks over to me...

The guys starts small talking asking questions, and then goes, "yea I drive by here all the time, don't you have another bike out back??" I brush it off and start wondering... how the heck he knows? My back yard has no visible access, or roads/driveways..

He was acting very odd. I was thrown by this because Im ALWAYS outside after work and I never in my life saw his truck/or him... I live in a VERY NICE neighborhood and not be judgemental (these guys are people you dont see) Its all family and young-middle aged people..

Needless to say, I didnt sleep at all lastnight, consistantly checked the back. He just knew too much for a "random driver-by"..

I think its time to address/purchase a security system or some sort of deturrent..

·
Banned
2,603 Posts
sounds like they were trying to intimidate you. have some weapons on you next time. dagger, tazer, screwdriver, somthin....

·
Registered
130 Posts
i would let the local pd know what happened if you live in a nice area they will keep an i out and drive by more. sounds like they were trying to see what you had so they could come latter and take it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Definitely notify the PD and let them know how odd and unusual the situation is. An also have a weapon readily available so you can be prepared for the worst. Good luck man

·
TRUST NO ONE
279 Posts
I would definitely be prepared....smells fishy....they may have followed you before in another vehicle that you didn't recognize ( not that blacked out truck) and it sounds like they were feeling out the whole situation, looking at your security setup, getting a feel for you personally...like if you're the type that they're gonna have to fight. I would do what the other guy said if you have a relationship with the cops out there....usually nice neighborhoods do. ( I live in NYC so forget that, I would handle this much differently, starting with getting the plate numbers from that truck along with going back in the house and coming back out with "Mable" but that's neither here nor there)... secure your bike with locks, chains etc..get a good security system if you can, some are not that expensive....if you don't already and unless you're some kind of anti-gun anti-violence nut job get a gun. If you have a family/ kids in the house educate them regarding safety as well as yourself...it's just about protecting your family and the stuff you worked to get. Next time them guys come around get the plate number too.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would say security system for sure, especially garage or wherever you keep the bike. And it sounds like they for sure were seeing what you had, alot of those dumbass criminals think they're slick.

·
Registered
361 Posts
+1 to all the above. Maybe even store your bike in a buddies garage for a couple weeks just in case they come back looking for it and it's not there, maybe they will move on to the next target.

·
Registered
130 Posts
hell i dont know how it is up their but were i live you can protect you property, and there only need to be one story when the PD shows up.

·
Registered
130 Posts
nice part of the south. and if you fell "your life is in danger" do what you need to do.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice, but I think I will stick with the security way of protection.. I just got some things from motorcyclesuperstore and rush shipped it to my place.

I can have the motion light out back remain on pointing down the driveway. Last ditch would be to drop it off at my friends house but I think its a good idea until I get my security locks..

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
Lock it up. Get a loud ass alarm system so if anybody messes with it you will know. And Im not sure about the laws in NY but here in TX if someone is on your property you dont really need any reason to shoot other than "you were protecting your property" especially after dark.

·
TRUST NO ONE
279 Posts
Nice!!!I think thats pretty much anywhere but in NY they'll find a way to make you the bad guy even if you're just protecting yourself!..I depends on a few things actually..

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
Nice!!!I think thats pretty much anywhere but in NY they'll find a way to make you the bad guy even if you're just protecting yourself!..I depends on a few things actually..
I would look into it, a lot of self/property defense laws have change nationally over the past 2 years.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I pretty much agree with what everybody is saying.

If you don't have already, you can set up a recordable surveillance system. Even on the nights where nothing happens, you could skim through the tape to see if anybody drives by on a regular basis.

I think installing ground anchors where ever you keep your bikes is a good idea. At the very least it'll give you a few more minutes to catch those guys in the act.

And, I'm assuming you have theft insurance *knock on wood.

Hopefully those guys, don't mess with your stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
get a chain and lock it up in your back yard with that, do you have a dog?

yeah seems to me they were scoping you out bro, hopefully you got the license number on the truck,

notify the pd, so its recorded, get a chain and put it through your swingarm, and a lock on your brake disc,

and get those poppers that if you step on the ignite,

put them all over the ground near your bike, if someone steps on them they make louds pops, maybe will scare them but will also alert you,

good luck!!!!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Is the driveway the only way to get a bike out of your backyard? Besides the locks / chains / alarms / motion activated cameras, can you use your car to block them from moving your bike out?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts