Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 CBR. Check out this video of me starting up the bike. The gauge is half dimmed and some spots are out completely.

Any idea what the problem could be here?

I bought the bike used so I am not 100% sure what the previous owner did.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Bad connection at the plug on the back...

Corrosion if water has gotten in there... possibly time for new gauges.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice Nico.

I just checked the connection at the gauge and it is secure. Is there any way to find out for sure that the problem is with the gauge?? I just dont want to spend all that money on new gauges and find out its not the problem.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Looks like it's just your led's that are out. The top/bottom on the speedo are series wired so if one goes out the other does as well.. Can't tell from your video but looks like the reset/select plugs are still in at the bottom of the cluster. This is usually where water gets in the cluster. If you remove it you can meter the contacts to see if they are getting power, if they are then you can clean the contact where the led's are and possibly resolder. Would have to be opened up to see what's going on. Looks like everything else is working just the led's?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a multi-meter ill check it out to make sure there is power at the reset and select.

Yes, everything else is working. Just the bottom part of the tachometer is out and there is a black spot running down the speedometer. It also looks pretty dim to. I was thinking it could just be that an led went out, but I know they have a very very long life-span and whats the chance of that many of them going out.

I wanted to get my gauges color changed like the service you offer but I just want to make sure that there isnt a problem with the gauge before I ship it out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually just turned on the bike and hit the select and reset button and they are working so they obviously must be getting power. Where should I go from here?? Like I said before I just dont want to ship them out, get them color swapped and find out they dont work.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
You are going to have to remove the cluster. Remove the back panel. Once you see how it looks in there you will have a better idea of the condition. May just need some corrosion cleaned up on the contacts of the led's. If the whole thing is dime then maybe something else. Any other mods to the bike? Signals/fe ect.. Maybe look for something connected to the cluster wiring that is causing a failure in the cluster. T

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Yup! you have 4 leds out. 2 in the display and 2 in the lower tach. it looks like its time to do a color change and get some new leds in there.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Would this be the same problem the OP has or is my gauge completely shot?

Notice the 2 bars of gas missing, and the temp gauge is messed up as well.. Someone PM me with any ideas how to fix this..

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
nah mate you have a different problem, if you pull the gauges apart you may find a couple of dry joints in there. Just run a soldering iron across the wires going to the LCD to re-flow them and see how you go.

·
Registered
953 Posts
nah mate you have a different problem, if you pull the gauges apart you may find a couple of dry joints in there. Just run a soldering iron across the wires going to the LCD to re-flow them and see how you go.
Thanks for the advice, i will give it a try. If that don't work, i will work on just buying the new LCD screen for the gas/temp gauge. Wonder how much that costs.. lol I am a perfectionist and this lil imperfection drives me nuts! lol

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Would this be the same problem the OP has or is my gauge completely shot?

Notice the 2 bars of gas missing, and the temp gauge is messed up as well.. Someone PM me with any ideas how to fix this..
This is a problem with the contact. If you pull your cluster remove the cover piece for the fuel display and check the membrane, looks like something got underneath and is causing a mess up in the read out. Is the fuel readout spreading from the inside/out or is it just missing the middle 2 bars?

·
Registered
953 Posts
This is a problem with the contact. If you pull your cluster remove the cover piece for the fuel display and check the membrane, looks like something got underneath and is causing a mess up in the read out. Is the fuel readout spreading from the inside/out or is it just missing the middle 2 bars?
Just missing the two bars luckily. So i know when its full and i know when its getting low. I just hate seeing it like that lol. I guess when i rip the bike apart to drop stuff off to you for powdercoating i will get around to this. I am aiming to start the tear down after Biketoberfest.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts