Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the last couple of nights I have been thinking about a couple of interesting things, based on a few events that happened this weekend. With reguards to the right gear, what's it worth to you ?

On sunday, as some of you may have read, I crashed at a high speed entering turn 9 on the first lap of my race. I got off at about 130mph, with only ten feet or so of pavement left before the dirt. In that time, lets say the pavement slowed me down to about 90/100 mph before hitting dirt. Immediately after hitting the dirt, I rolled from my back and was tossed up in the air, and began tumbling. I smacked my head three times and rolled throught the entire run off area and hopped up on my feet about 10 feet from the outside perimeter of the track. So its safe to say I was tumbling from about 85mph until I stopped. I got up, was disgusted because I had just thrown away a 3 turn lead in the first lap, and denied a ride back to my pits. I was so pissed I walked the mile back to my pit area.

Now, later that day my friend Mike crashed in turn 3, argueably the slowest turn at the track, at a speed of around 40-50 mph. He lowsided and started tumbling on the pavement and then into the durt where he stopped, injured badly. Turns out that in the crash, Mike broke both his tibia and fibia right at the ankle. He also shattered the bone in the ankle they connect too. Needless to say he has to have a serious surgery or he may not walk again. The doctor says that if Mike does not let it heal properly and keep weight off of it he will not be able to walk. So this means that he will be out of work for at least 4-6 months.

Now this got me thinking...100mph tumble....no pain.....40mph tumble.....broken ankle. What happened ?

There are a lot of different things that happened in both scenarios which decided each outcome, like luck, bad luck, and circumstances. But what about gear, what about boots ? I wear the Alpinestars Supertech boot, which retails for $330. Mike was wearing the Sidi Vertebra 2 boot, a boot which retails for about $240, which has argueably less protection. This isn't an ad for alpinestars though, what I'm getting at is what if mike was wearing the vertebra 2 RACE, or a supertech, and what if I was wearing the vertebra 2, and not mine ?

The point here that a lot of times we take gear for granted and often will buy what may look good, or cost less, or be easier to get into, but take for granted functionality.

To those of you interested in going to the track, going to the canyons, or going to stunt at some industrial park. Why not buy the best gear ? Granted, you wont always walk away even with the best, but doesn't it decrease the chances of injury, and isn't it worth it to lower your chances ?

...Something to think about when you want to go get coffee in a t-shirt and shorts.

Also, By NO MEANS am I trying to make Mike look bad in anyway, he's a good friend of mine and fellow racer who I hope the best for. It was just very unfortunate for him and I hope his and my screw ups on the track can help a few others help themselves.

thanks for reading....

...Brian - MRI

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think you make a valid argument however I tend to disagree that higher priced equals greater protection, I know thats not the entire basis of your argument however it does use it at least some what.

The question I have was did his gear take more punishment? and fall apart more so than your own? Or simply did he tumble in a way that broke all those bones reguardless of the gear. Some falls gear simply wont protect you from. And spending an extra 200 on a pair of boots is almost always un warented in my opinion, more often than not your just paying for the name and not so much quality.

But then again Im fairly ignorant of many things soo thats just my penny and a half!

·
Ya'll betta RECKOGNIZE!!!!
2,926 Posts
yeah but you also gotta take into account the way that he tumbled.

its the same scenario how some people can be walking trip and fall and break an ankle but yet if some else trips they fall and get up without any harm done..

its all in the way you tumble, but granted the best gear is gonna help that much more if it was the same scenario..

either way you are right.. buy the best gear you can and always wear it..

Hope your friend Mike gets better soon and good luck with his recovery.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The price part wasn't actually meant to play into my arguement, more so to highlight the top of the line boot and the middle line boot in the reading.

The thing about boots is ho well they protect your feet and ankles when you tumble. See, the vertebra 2 boot is simply a boot that lines your feet. The supertech boot has aboot inside of your boot that acts like a cast basically, and has braces for support. This boot is insdie the shell boot which gets zipped up over it, therefore providing more protection. So in the same scenario, and the same tumbling, the difference in protection would definately make a significant difference.

CBRKID11, thats for the kind words about Mike....

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
I just hope My Teknic Lightning boots hold up if I ever need them. I won't ride without them, I am wearing tham at work right now. They are suprisingly comfortable.

On one of those 2Wheel Tuesday shows they had a rep from Teknic on describing the different amount of protection that you could get by spending more money. I forget the details but the protection provided by boots varies.

I wonder if SNELL or some outfit could come up with a rating system for protective gear, maybe a 1 to 5 set up where 1 is purely cosmetic and 5 is the best.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hey Brian,
I am the guy who met you yesterday from South Carolina. I just wanted to thank you for the scuffs. Your bike wasn't too bad in the parking lot. Take care guys! :bitchslap:

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
From the sounds of it, his leg broke from a twist. No matter what boot you rwear, nothing can prevent a bone from snapping while twisting. The stiffest boot may actually prevent the foot from being able to twist with the leg if it is pinned.

I have three wrecks (wearing SIDI Vert II) and the one that hurt me the most was the slowest one. At higher speed, your body skips over the surface. It is when you slow down body parts stick to the ground and you get tore up.

No two wrecks are the same! I would chaulk your buddies wreck up as simply tough luck. Sometimes it happens.

·
Registered
638 Posts
There is another element in the equation - luck..

I crashed going 60 mph on the freeway. Slid about 50-60' on the pavement. i was wearing sneakers, gym-pants, and a light cotton jacket. I got off with no injuries. Thats because, I stayed on top of the bike, while it was sliding. i don't know how - just plain lucky I guess.

To me, one thing is clear from the other posts.. Don't think you are invincible just beacuse you have the right gear on. I am sure Katoh (RIP) had the best/most expensive gear on when he crashed at Suzuka.

The most expensive gear may not necessarily be the best for you. As we have seen from the numerous helmet discussions. A lot of the price of the product may have be spent on advertising and endorsements instead of on improving the quality of the product.

One solution to the issue of varying standards for protective gear may be to propose having certifications such as DOT and SNELL (http://www.smf.org/stds.html) for mototrcycle gear - like they have for helmets.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Sounds like his foot caught on something and snapped. Just bad luck. Better boots may have protected him or distroyed his knee.

You were very lucky. Luck improves with good gear, but a $500 helmet can snap your neck and a $100 may not.

My advice is:

Play the percentages and go with the best gear you can afford.

Don't fall down.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ahh thanks for clearing that up brian, I should have looked at the difference between the boots. Definatly should go for protection comfort and last looks when choosing what to wear. However I give him props for wearing any thing at all... Just spent day at beach and saw just about every one ride in with shorts, sandles, and t- shirt. Amazingly stupid, these the kinds of guys who give us the label "organ donors"

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
Props for wearing gear at all?

Well, yeah, props for wearing gear.

But don't sniff at the Sidi Vert IIs--wouldn't even have crossed a squid's mind to buy Vert II's. To them, a motorcycle boot is a pair of Timberlands or sketchers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Did you visors pop up once you started rolling? When I came of I slid on the blacktop then started rolling into the sand trap and copped a face full of sand :???: I have now invested in a visor lock :roll:

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
Brian, I couldn't agree with you more! I've always run the best I can afford in protection. I'll be moving up from my SMX Plus boots to GP Tech boots and I'll be up-grading my suit for next years race season as well. I've always been a very very very fond believer that you get what you pay for. I've never understood why people settle for cheap, $100 helmets. For me, I'd SOO much rather fork out the extra $450 and be pretty-damn-sure about my helmet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well I will chime in since I am Mike's roomate and was there also when he went down. His boots are actually fine. They just look a little scuffed up and dirty. Now what Brian doesn't know is that Mike had a mountain bike accident about 3 weeks ago and hurt the same ankle. Mike thinks that he may have caused a hairline fracture in it on that incident. The doctor seems to agree with that. So who knows, could have been the boots or maybe the previous injury.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Props for wearing gear at all?
Ok now that just a plain silly comment. This is a racing organization, gear is required its not an option. The only option you have is what kind of gear you buy.

The biggest point to this thread is that this is not an accurate comparison. This is an apple to oranges comparison, as the 2 turns in question turn 3 and turn 9 are drastically different. Turn 9 is a high speed fairly constant radius cambered turn. Turn 3 on the other hand is a slower hard left up hill turn, and the runoff goes up and has embankment very quickly. The dirt is also very hard with lots of gravel and large rock. Turn 9's dirt is softer and has much more run off room.

I too had a crash back in May which I came out of rather unscathed except for some big bruises and a severe head concussion, I was also knocked unconscious for well over 5 minutes maybe even up to 10 or 15 min just don’t know. My gear held up very well and I had no rash at all even though my glove had worn through and my shoulder had a big hole that you could put a hand through (thanks to hard armour). My helmet had the worst damage. It was ground down badly and had bad cracks near the eyes. Also had a good chunk / chip just over my left eye which explains my bad bruise over my left eye. My gear was Spidi leathers (RSPro), OGK helmet, A* supertechs boots and Spidi gloves. Leathers are repairable and my boots are fine. Gloves and helmet are throw away’s.

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
While we're on the subject...

What do you guys think of the new Sidi Vertigo Corsa boots? How do those compare to the A* supertech?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts