Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was growing up you didn't need to take a test to get a motorcycle license. Now that I just bought another bike after many years I have no idea what is on the actual DMV road test. I've only heard bits and pieces that it's all slow turning and manuvering around cones. I tried talking to the DMV when I made my apointment (Next Tuesday) but couldn't even get the lady to confirm that they even used cones!?! WTF?? What's the big secret?? Can anyone who has taken the DMV road test please give me your best explaination of what to expect. Thanks for you input....

Tim

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
TIM
if and if you do not pass thru the msf you can take their course and their exam which evreyone passes and take their certificate once you turn that certifiacte at the dmv you will get your motorcycle endorsment and also will end up getting a discount for your motorcyclr insurance if you decide to get some so taking that course has a lot of benefits just my .02 cents

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
moeman, My insurance company doesn't give breaks for passing the MSF course. I already have good low speed control and balance so I'm pretty sure I can pass. But I hate taking a test where I have no idea what's on it. I've read some older posts but really want someone who has taken the DMV test to explain what's on it. I'll most likely take the MSF course at a later time. Thanks...

Tim
(Going to sleep now)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Everyone doesnt pass the msf though if you've road or are halfway good with motorskills you will though. There was a guy in my class who fell once going in a big oval and another time during the test in the stop drill. He of corse didnt pass. He didnt get hurt either time but thinking back it did make the class interesting wondering when he was going to fall. He shouldnt get a bike thats too much.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Hey Tim - It's been a while but I remember the road test not being too difficult. I passed on a 1983 CB1000 Custom (really heavy bike) - went something like this:

All lights, signal and horn must be in proper working order. Wear the proper gear.

Navigate through 5 or 6 cones placed about 10-12' apart. Stop.
Negotiate lowspeed 180 degree u-turn without putting a foot down. Stop.
Accelerate to about 20 mph and negotiate a panic swirve without incident. Stop.
Accelerate the bike to about 20 mph and come to a stop with the front wheel inside a 2' square painted box.

The road course had lines painted to indicate what to do and the instructor will explain each step thoroughly. If you don't understand him or have a question about the task ask him to explain it again. I took the test in the parking lot of the DMV. You shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Kevin, That was exactly what I was wanting to know. with this, I think I'm going down to the DMV lot today to see if I can get on and run through it a few times. Let's just hope the weather holds out for Tuesday. Thanks again brother....

Tim

·
Registered
114 Posts
sweet I was looking for the same info. I have to schedule my test. If that's all it is i could pull that off easy. I need a little bit of low speed practice but i can just hop in a parkinglot before i take the test.

·
Registered
77 Posts
NewRedRider said:
Thanks Kevin, That was exactly what I was wanting to know. with this, I think I'm going down to the DMV lot today to see if I can get on and run through it a few times. Let's just hope the weather holds out for Tuesday. Thanks again brother....
In Ohio you can't practice at the DMV site while they are open and when they are closed the lock the gates to the course.

They do however have the course on the wall that you can look over.

Since you are in Florida everything said here may vary a little bit but the concept and application of the test is usually very similar.

Good luck.........

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I rode by the DMV office at lunch only to find a locked gate and no notice on the wall as RogCBR600RR spoke of. I think I'll ride by in the morning when they open, look over the course, and then come back in the afternoon to take the test. I still find it ridiculous to go to these means just to see the course. What's the big secret?

Does anyone know if they make you pay if you fail the test. I was just wondering if they're making money off of the failures as well, seeing as they advertise over 20,000 failed last year. :shock:

Tim

·
Registered
881 Posts
Glad it helps, it helped me to practice the night before the test(briefly interupted by the local police, very nice guy just wondering what that crazy bastard was doing in the school parking lot).

Everything you see there was on the MN test, not sure what FL has in store for you. good luck.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok. Here's the deal. As of October 1, 2004 anyone who fails the test will get one free failure. After that it cost you. It definitely helps to practice your slow speed manuevers before hand. The link provided by Camel Jockey is exactly the same test as what Florida gives. I was even given a tip by the instructor who was pretty cool. He pointed out that your allowed 10 points to be deducted before your actually fail. The cone weave section is a five point deduction. So if you just blow off the cone weave section and pass everything else you still pass. If you drop the bike you fail automatically. If you stall or put your foot down to many times you fail.

The course at the 6855 62nd Avenue North facility in Pinellas Park, Fl. is very small. The cones are not 10 - 12 feet apart either. They're more like eight feet apart. Although they are very small cones. Even the "Two lane roads" are small. On a normal two lane road I can do a U-turn with no problem. On their "road" my handlebars were locked all the way twice and I still ran out of road?!!? This test is NOT a gimme! Study the link above, find a big parking lot and practice!

Oh! BTW.... I passed!! :mrgreen: :bounce: :mrgreen: :bounce:

Tim

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
congratulations TIM :bounce: :thumbup: :banban:

·
Ya'll betta RECKOGNIZE!!!!
2,926 Posts
In NY.. you need to do 2 full circles clockwise, 2 counter clockwise and 2 figure 8's... all of them consecutively and without putting your foot down or stalling the bike..

also there is a full road section.. have to drive around the road with the test giver in a vehicle behind you telling you where to go and you need to be able to do a u turn in the width of the street..

but

CONGRATS ON PASSING!!!! :bounce:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
whats on the road test? a bunch of BS if you ask me.

Tiny cones and circles, great so you can drive around a pariking lot now. :roll:

If they really want to test you they should get you going about 40-45 and throw something in the road and see if you can manuever around it. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Totally agree with you Nate, I don't see real life needs for 90% of the tests. The only one I will ever use is the quick right left to avoid the object, that is the only test that was really usefull.

On the other hand: they know you may never need this on the streets, they are testing skill and handling more than anything. For instance, the lady on the scooter that hit 3 cones and didn't make the 90 degree turn, may never encounter a need on the streets for that. But I'm glad she failed because it was a fricken scooter, about 1 foot smaller wheelbase than the RR and she couldn't make it work. Her skills are not good enough yet to get the license.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Camel Jockey said:
http://www.dps.state.mn.us/dvs/DLtraining/mom/ManualFrame.htm

Sorry, scroll all the way down to the bottom left nav, ON CYCLE SKILL TEST link..
THANKS!!! I am in GA, but I think they are close to the same.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
nate, I think they already know this. They also know that it takes more skill to ride at 10mph around the parking lot then it does at 40mph down the street. If you read their paperwork that they give you before your test it says that "...a skilled rider should be able to pass the test without too much difficulty" or something like that. I think their goal is to steer the rookies to the MSF classes and only test the "skilled riders". I would think that they want to test the least amount of people possible. The DMV's are over-crowded as it is.

I also think alot of guys out there could use a little practice on their U-turns. I've been on rides with guys before (and I'm not naming names) but I've seen them struggling to make a U-turn. I know it looks like BS on the surface, but realize that instability leads to insecurity and stability leads to security. Being able to perform these kinds of slow speed manuevers builds confidence in your abilities as a rider. And I think that is what their testing for. Confidence and control. So don't beat 'em up too bad nate :smile: They do a pretty good job at screening out the wanna be's.

Tim

1 - 20 of 22 Posts