Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I know I didn't get around to posting pics of my new trailer yet but I didn't get an enclosed trailer (too expensive) and I was wondering what the best way to secure the bike to the trailer is. I plan on maybe getting a wheel chock but I doubt it will be this month.

The trailer has rails should I just use a chain and lock? What are your recommendations?

I don't plan on leaving my trailer with the bike exposed for very long periods but maybe just like a nightly thing if I check in at a hotel or something. I don't want to come outside to find an empty trailer...Thanks in avance.

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
Get a wheel chock, or make one out of 2x4's and then use 4 tie downs (rachet style ones are really nice) And then you can go one tie down around each grip (or hooked to the tripple) and then two somewhere else (I used my passenger pegs but I don't have those anymore...so maybe the rearsets?)

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
If you are going to the track, then all you need is a "canyon dancer" harness for the handle bars, and some tie down straps to secure it to the rails on the trailer (depending how sturdy the rails are). What is the floor of the trailer made out of? You could always drill some holes in the floor of the trailer and mount some eye bolts so that you could tie it down to them.

If you plan on leaving it overnight, hell yeah chain it up. It can't hurt can it.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
what they said...

also, if you have yoyodyne - you can get the tie down kit for it - easier and less stress on ur forks...
you might also buy the bike chocks - you can get one for like $20 or you can get the baxley - $160? - or what meddie said - 4x2 so the wheels wont move around... if you need help, again, let me know...

btw - nov 27th trackday is sold out?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
definitely get some ratchet style tie-downs, work GREAT. and be sure to opt for a wheel chock, really helps in different lugging situations with a bike, and surprisingly adds quite a bit of stability. good luck with the new trailer!

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
daMartian,

Its not sold out only a few levels remain. I heard level 2 is out but I didn't confirm.

This is what I bought last week:
Canyon dancer
2 rachet tie downs
2 normal tie downs

I do have the yoyodynes but I haven't found a place that lists the eyelets for tie downs.

So I'm going to just drill a chock into the floor. I don't know if I should get a removeable one or not.

I'm thinking that the Kryptonite New York (I think thats the model---the one with the huge chain.) is what I will get to secure it overnight.

The floor of the trailer consists of thick planks of wood. I haven't really measured it but I know its not plywood. I'll force myself to snap some pics this afternoon.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
ask nick for the yoyodyne tie down kit - they have em in stock...
believe me - its much easier instead of using canyon dancer - less stress on your forks and clip-ons and grips - most likely you'll rip your grips off if you use canyon dancer...

you can drill the wooden floor for the bike chock but make sure u use reinforcement for the wood so it wont break...

so who's going with you on the 27th anyways? level II is where i would want to be at unless i go to level III and get passed by those freaking fast guys or level I and not be able to pass anybody unless we're on a straight-away

·
Registered
84 Posts
DSMCBR said:
Just make sure you compress the forks all the way, other wise it'll bounce all over the place.
DO NOT compress the forks all the way!!!

It's also a good idea to strap the back end down! The canyon dancer will work great for the front, but be careful if you have a steering damper.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Alex said:
DSMCBR said:
Just make sure you compress the forks all the way, other wise it'll bounce all over the place.

It's also a good idea to strap the back end down! The canyon dancer will work great for the front, but be careful if you have a steering damper.
I was going to say the same thing. Be very careful with the "ratchet" type straps. If you strap them down too tight you can damage the front seals. I also recommend the canyon strap. Very good product. Oh, and I also loop a strap through the back tire, just in case. :thumbup:

Tim

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Alex said:
DSMCBR said:

you wouldnt have to worry about this if you have the yoyodyne tie down kit...

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The Yoyodyne tie-down kit works well enough if you're just hauling a single bike, but you'll have to go back to the fork/bars method if you're ever going to be towing 2 bikes, which for me is quite often. Based on that fact I just opted to go with a Canyon Dancer instead.

My setup:

- Canyon Dancer. As mentioned, just make sure it's clear of steering damper and other things that may get in the way.
- (2) tie downs for the front, to attach to Canyon Dancers. I also do not care much for the ratchet jobbers. Too easy to over-tighten, and can be futzy at times. You do NOT need to tighten the front end down that much!!! About 50% of remaining travel should suffice.
- LA Sport Chock. When bolted dowm, this provides a tremendous amount of stability side-to-side as well as fore-and-aft.
- One tie down on the rear just to keep the rear end from hopping around.

I can't stress enough how wonderful the Sport Chock is. It makes loading and securing the bike *easily* a 1-man operation.

·
Superbike racer
6,177 Posts
i tie the front down, but not too tight. I then put a strat around the rear wheel and pull directly back and then on both sides of the swing arm....forming a triangle around the rear tire.....less stree on the forks and i have been 7,000+ miles hauling the bikes in two summers and no issues

·
Superbike racer
6,177 Posts
The bikes where just thrown in the back for the night and trailer left at the track , no we don't transport on rear stands....but note how we have the tie down hooks behind the rear wheels

·
Registered
17 Posts
O.K. The main reason why I said to compress the forks is that if the tralier or truck that your hauling the bike in hits a bump the straps become loose and may come off. Haven't been lucky enough to try these other methods but I will sure look into them... thanx

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mikesamillion said:
havoc, just try to get a motel room that is down stairs. then just take the bike inside with you. then you wont be up all night lookin out the window.
Easier said then done hahaha I had a bad enough night when I was driving over here from Miami. I was paranoid my truck full of goodies might get broke into.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll go to Cycle Gear and get the chocks there. I want two b/c I want to have an extra in case someone goes with me. It's not looking too good now hehehe.

I posted a pic on my other thread but this is what it looks like.

Its very simple but VERY sturdy. Everything is welded in place.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
my cousin has that same (type) of trailer, and it works great. have hauled many-a-dirtbike and not one problem. definitely need a wheel chock. i know he's only hauled dirtbikes, but i'm sure it'll work just as good for sport bikes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts