Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, im fairly new to the internet, new to the world of youtube and the likes.
my question is, is the uk the only place where it is the law to wear a helmet! i mean i saw a guy on youtube pullin a wheelie through a line of traffic on the highway 80+mph with nothing but some ****ing shorts on, WTF! that kinda **** gives us a bad name.
And another thing i want to know - at least one guy on this forum is 17yrs old and american and owns a 600rr, is this legal? i assume there is some kind of training and a test? dont you have to ride 125cc untill you reach 21?
please post with what you have have to do to ride a motorcycle on the street legally.

The deal here in the uk is at 17yrs old you must take a cbt test (compulsary basic training), pass that and you can ride anything up to 125cc with a learner plate on your bike untill you are 21yrs old. At 21 you may do a DAS (direct access scheme) which involves 30hrs training on a 500cc bike on the road and then a very tough riding test at the end of that. costs about £650 to do that stuff. i passed my test only 10 months ago and the the test have now changed, twice as hard and more expensive. do you guys have to do this or something similar? thanks

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
The rules are much different on this side of the pond. No protection required, no minimum bike size, very little training and testing (a matter of hours required). Basically, we vote against things that would make riding safer for people, haha. Odd isn't it?

edit: and we can do this at age 15 ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rules are much different on this side of the pond. No protection required, no minimum bike size, very little training and testing (a matter of hours required). Basically, we vote against things that would make riding safer for people, haha. Odd isn't it?

edit: and we can do this at age 15 ;)
wow, 15 u serious? a 125 at 15? surely you cant just jump on a 600 or literbike at that age

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Helmet laws vary state by state. Here in Indiana we have no helmet law except for a rider with a learners permit. Pass a written test (30 minutes of studying should do) to get the learners permit... Grab a helmet and a 1000rr and your good to go! LOL For now it is up to us to decide what is safe for us and what is not.

With a learners permit here you can have no passengers and no night riding.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to say, but you definitely can.
well that is different indeed, do the youngsters ride safe? i aint knocking young guys riding in any way, fair play to them for getting into riding so young, its just at 15, safety wasnt really something i thought about

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I didn't think about safety when I was 15 either, and I don't think 1% of 15-16 year olds know the real hazards of driving at that age. That's why there are so many accidents among new drivers. Until you get 5 or so years of driving experiance most people are still accident prone. Pair that with a powerful bike and you got lots of problems. But I guess not enough to put into law?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Helmet laws vary state by state. Here in Indiana we have no helmet law except for a rider with a learners permit. Pass a written test (30 minutes of studying should do) to get the learners permit... Grab a helmet and a 1000rr and your good to go! LOL For now it is up to us to decide what is safe for us and what is not.

With a learners permit here you can have no passengers and no night riding.
INSANE!!!!!!!! someone please tell me they think a helmet should be law, wouldnt you get bugs in your eyes at least lol

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
kids here are not much different. 90% shouldn't be anywhere near a bicycle not to mention a motorbike! LOL I now I would have died at 15 with a 600!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
i dont think you can have a license till you are 16... but there are no limits from there... 16yr old can have a busa, if he so pleases

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
ya what pick said, you have to have eye protection.
It is very scary how young people can start riding and whatever bike they want. I really wish we would incorporate some more guidlines and restrictions when it comes to starting to ride but were america....

·
Registered
72 Posts
in California you have to wear a helmet, but you can get your licence at 16. and yeah young kids ride like idiots, the average "new" rider wrecks inside of 3 months. this is an actual statistic that i wish i could remember where i read it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Also to clarify, In California, if you are under 21, you have to take some sort of motorcycle training class. If you are 21 or over you can just take the driving test at the DMV or choose to take the course. And I think its possible to get your permit when you are 15 1/2.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yeah, same in Oregon as it is in Cali... Under 21 you need to take the riders safety course, over 21 you can just go to the DMV and take the driving test. That DMV course SUX by the way!! LOL, it wasn't the easiest thing to manuver my old R6 at 0.3 mph. It took me two tries to pass it :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sweden has similar laws as Scotland. 125 cc until X age and so forth. No license until age of 18 for car or bike. Average cost for license is $2500+ easily with a minimum of 15-20 classes. Insane but then again, less accidents than here. I do like this side of the pond since I now have been here for 8 years

·
Registered
108 Posts
Takes anywhere from 6 months to 12 months to complete. You start at age 17 and if you are on time you should be ok to get your license when you turn 18.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts