·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
standard is no unless he has the cash to give you while he rides it

no test pilots or tire kickers.....

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
the answer is no, he can test drive it, with the cash in your hand, knowing he drops it, wrecks, it, anything, you walk away with the cash.

NEVER let anyone ride it, unless the deal is final. give him the title and the keys, he gives you the cash. end of story!!! good luck!!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
The general rule is no, but like sean said, it just depends. I'd only let a friend that I know has the skills and money to test ride the bike (knowing where they live and work helps too). I got to take my bike for a test ride, but I'm friends with the previous owner so no worries.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have heard of a situation where the seller drives the bike around for the potential buyer to observe. The potential buyer even followed the the seller around in their car. Seems silly, but I guess they can get an idea based on sight/sound/smell.

·
Banned
2,603 Posts
I would say yes if he/she has cash (in your hands) and proof of insurance. He/she also has to sign a liability release.
:+1: and keep his driver's license in your hand while he's out. Unless you get any kind of shady or noobish vibe from the buyer. Take care :shakehand

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Here's an idea:

If you have stands, put the bike on front and rear stands and let the buyer sit and test it like that. That way they can warm it up, rev the engive, and change gears if they want without leaving your garage.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Its a hard 1, as a rule i wouldn't but if the buyer was on a bike and seems mature id definatley consider it.

One thing i dont/wont do is ask the potential buyer to meet at my place where the bike is. I would meet them at a servo or some other place, just in case they have plans of stealing not buying.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have bought and sold many bikes. NO.!!! Full amount of asking price, cash in hand and their drivers license, sign a liability waiver, then yes.
Friend that knows what they are doing, yes. Stranger, NO WAY.!! Good Luck AJ

·
Registered
119 Posts
haha, reminds me of what happened when my boy was selling his bike (zx6r).
he lets this dude test ride it and the dude jumps on fires the bike up and immediately bounces it off the rev limiter, i mean, the dude had to have the throttle all the way open before it even fired. my boy slaps him in the back of the helmet and told him to get the eff off his bike. lol.

·
Brown at your service
3,493 Posts
I'm selling my bike. If some kid comes over to take a look do I let him test drive it? Is there a standard yes or no thought on this?
Cash in my hand before you ride my sh1t. If you wreck it you bought it.
If not that, check license and get their license num. before the ride. You could see them riding of in the sunset on your freshly stolen bike.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Cash and drivers license in hand, and take a look at an MSF card... and hey if you want, request to hold onto his car keys if your really worried.

·
Registered
143 Posts
NO CHANCE of TEST-PILOTS!

u can take a look; bring whoever "expert" friend/buddy or have me drop it off at any "authorized" bike facility to have it checked out.

The only way your riding it, is when it's paid for by u!!!

b/r

·
Registered
351 Posts
Well i think that pretty much covers your question some people are just looking to test ride your bike with no intention of buying it AT ALL they just want to see what bike there gonna get at the dealer:cursin::drunk:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.