Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the fairings on my 2004 and found this box. My key doesn't open it though.

What is it?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Pretty sure that whole assembly is an aftermarket part and why your OEM key is not opening it. Wonder if the box houses some sort of anti-theft device (fuel cutoff, etc.)?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
They show both in the fiche, one shows a lock and the other does not, be willing to bet someone lost the key at one time and had to get a new lock set and forgot to do that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cheers guys. I'll speak to the shop I bought the bike from last month. See what they say about it too and more to the point. the key!

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
It is the toolbox. Have one on my '03. Although I removed the tools out of it and they sit in the garage. Kind of a moot point to have to remove the fairing to get to the tools.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Toolbox. I bet your key does work but for some reason the lock is really ******* hard to open. I remember being sure my key didnt work till I finally got it open to discover!..........

Nothing inside.

My 2006 is a USA bike as far as I know (would be pretty weird if it wasnt) and it has the locking toolbox.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
It is the toolbox. Have one on my '03. Although I removed the tools out of it and they sit in the garage. Kind of a moot point to have to remove the fairing to get to the tools.
The big screw on the side fairing is supposed to be openable with a quarter or similar to get at the toolbox. At least, it's supposed to be; still, not exactly handy.

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
Also for what's it worth, there is most likely nothing in there. It's a 12 year old bike and any of the Honda included tools have probably been lost/not been included in past sales of the bike (wouldn't hurt to check anyways).

I have a remote for my garage door shoved in there with a button mounted on the lid for easy opening of my garage when I get done with a ride

·
Registered
829 Posts
My 03 came with one, and I highly doubt it was a non-US bike. My key doesn't open it, but a screwdriver or any small key like my mailbox key or small craftsman lock key will.

Its a good place to mount switches if you have anything like delayed lights for HIDs or different configurations for halos/DRLs.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have to insert my key, turn it to the right (it's heavily spring loaded), and lift up on the assembly while turning the key. It's awkward and it takes more force than you'd expect. I just found tools in mine, not bad for a 2004!

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
IDK why you say is useless... It had crappy quiality tools, but all you needed... You even had a spanner for the fork...

In Europe is almost mandatory to carry some tools... At least they insist on this during the driver's license course

·
Registered
164 Posts
Its a tool KIT, it has every ******* tool to take apart the bike. Change spark pkugs, wheels. Tires, everything. Its actually kind of amazing and the new 2014 cbr1000rr dont come with ****! So its kinda like that extra quality step they used to put into things when it wasnt all about profits..
Regardless i took mine off too ? Weight reduction.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
The big screw on the side fairing is supposed to be openable with a quarter or similar to get at the toolbox. At least, it's supposed to be; still, not exactly handy.
Never knew that. I never carry cash, only licence and bank card. :p

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Its a tool KIT, it has every ******* tool to take apart the bike. Change spark pkugs, wheels. Tires, everything. Its actually kind of amazing and the new 2014 cbr1000rr dont come with ****! So its kinda like that extra quality step they used to put into things when it wasnt all about profits..
Regardless i took mine off too ? Weight reduction.
You do understand your post is incredibly ironic and one of the other reasons they don't include them anymore, right? Most people pull them for weight, use them at home or don't give them to the next owner so why bother?

I can tell you while profit increase, cost reduction and weight savings are some of the factors as to why they are not included in the US any longer (they are available as an accessory through your dealer in the US, included still in most other countries) the number one reason is this:

Liability.

If you provide the tools to take something apart, and in the US someone will disassemble the entire bije with those tools, and not put it back together correctly, who's liable? Everywhere else in the world it's the person who used the tools (which btw are really supplemental and are designed to be an emergency use, not every day use) but here, in a place you can be sued if someone tries to rob you and you hurt them defending yourself, it's different.

It sucks but for around $60 if you want the tool kit you can buy it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts