Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont see why its such a big deal to everyone that you have to have full riding gear. When i ride i just wear a helmet and gloves, But when i ride i dont do anything stupid. Sometimes i like to go fast in a straight line but thats about it. Now if i was to start riding wheelies, stunting, and taking corners like a racer then i would def wear full gear. But mostly i bought a bike to cruise around and get from point a to point b. It would be really stupid if i were to go to the store, movies, anywhere showing up in full riding gear. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
240 Posts
You're opening up the door to a lot of statements you are probably not going to want to hear. Possible troll haha

·
Registered
127 Posts
tell that to your skin you leave on the asphalt after some old lady in her old boat cuts you off and you eat sh**, im sure its NO BIG DEAL to lowside at 20km/hr..

how bout this.. go outside in the front of your house.. run a full out sprint and mid sprint fall.. take the damage you sustain and you can EASILY tripple it at 20km/hr

truth is, you can never be too careful. and dont bother posting in the Crash Zone if your not wearing full riding gear, you WILL NOT get any sympathy

·
Registered
48 Posts
^ +1. saw a friend go down in an alpinestar jacket and jeans at 30 mph. after 10 feet the jeans tore and his leg is scared. try riding your bike to the beach changing and let everyone see your battered up leg.. and that was only 30 mph.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i hear what you guys are all saying your right accidents can happen any time..

·
Registered
240 Posts
Have to be prepared for anything... Just because you're riding around the block or to the store real quick doesn't mean you won't wind up posting in the crash boom bang section...

·
Registered
712 Posts
i dont understand why you would need us to tell you this. i would assume its only logic and common sense. but oh well, at least you see what they are saying.

Yeah i hear what you guys are all saying your right accidents can happen any time..

·
Registered
324 Posts
I rarely judge other riders by what gear they are wearing. It's your body. :stickyman

I have been guilty of riding w/out a jacket before but I won't go out without jeans.

No one wants to see upper man thigh....

I like getting fully geared up. Makes you feel more with one with your bike.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think we've all been guilty of riding without the jacket once or twice. I know here it's hot as hell in the summer but I rather sweat a little more than eat poop and have a nasty scar to remind me that I should have worn the gear. Ultimately it's your choice and what YOU feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I myself use to be a squid(implying i rode with just a helmet and gloves) until my first REAL crash which put a hole and 48 stitches in my leg. now i ride around in A* SMX 5 boots, A* RC1 Jacket, SHOEI RF1000 Helmet, Full Gauntlet Gloves, and in june im getting my two piece A* pants to attach to my RC1 Jacket,

and heres a pic of my leg not too bad
-Grade 3 sprained ankle
-laceration through leg,
-Missed my bone by literally a Hairline

I dont have pics of my right arm full of road rash aswell as my knee
at the moment of the accident i had a helmet and gloves, and a icon back protecter, wearing DC shoes, jean, and a t-shirt

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I myself use to be a squid(implying i rode with just a helmet and gloves) until my first REAL crash which put a hole and 48 stitches in my leg. now i ride around in A* SMX 5 boots, A* RC1 Jacket, SHOEI RF1000 Helmet, Full Gauntlet Gloves, and in june im getting my two piece A* pants to attach to my RC1 Jacket,

and heres a pic of my leg not too bad
-Grade 3 sprained ankle
-laceration through leg,
-Missed my bone by literally a Hairline

Damn that looks painful. Now if you had been wearing full riding gear would that help prevent a peg from going through your leg still?

·
Registered
655 Posts
This is my own repost from another thread but I think it answers my perception on "squids."

At the end of the day, it is all about what you want. I just bought full leathers, boots, gloves, etc. (the whole nine yards). If you don't want to go that route, it's up to you. Will some people give you $hit for it for not wearing all the right gear? Absolutely. Are you asking for worse injuries if you go down? ABSOLUTELY! We just don't want to hear any complaining afterward how much pain you are in. ESPECIALLY if the occurring injuries could have been prevented by proper gear (i.e. leathers, boots, etc.). The times I REALLY REALLY get irked is when riders take passengers with them and ride like complete a$$holes w/out gear. If you are going to risk your own skin, don't take others with you (especially little hotties you may have found on the street). Keep the hotties HOT! No one on here will have any sympathy if your lack of gear results in worse injuries, but again that is something you accept knowing you are riding at 50% protection.

One other thing on top of that: You are really throwing yourself out there as...well...an idiot...if you question if more gear is better or wonder why people think you are riding at higher risk without proper gear. If you are pulling out the "Just driving down to corner" or "I don't speed or act stupid" card, then you should really take some classes on logic.

Will I be in full leathers EVERY single ride I make when I get home? ...no, honestly, probably not. Will I feel like a schmuck if I get hurt worse if I go down during one of those times? ...you better believe it! I used the analogy in another thread about wearing seat belts. Don't try and challenge something that has proven to protect you and try justifying it to people who know much better than you.

So in conclusion (haha) it is not a BIG deal to us (it's not our skin) but if you go parading around asking why a helmet and gloves are not enough, people aren't going to beat around the bush and say it is enough or okay. No, instead they are going to call you a squid.

·
Registered
501 Posts
stop being dumb and wear your gear. helmet, some sort of jacket, leather gloves(not dirt bike gloves), good solid boots, and at least jeans. your skin will thank you if something happens. end of story.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Thing is, no one sees crotch rockets. Or really cares. Also, they don't know what it's like to control a bike. They think you can maneuver and stop like they can.

Everytime there is a motorcycle accident, the driver of the car says "I didn't see him". Well... that doesn't forgive a death or months of recovery/therapy/surgery etc, etc.

Wear your gear. "Dress for the crash, not for the ride"

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thing is, no one sees crotch rockets. Or really cares. Also, they don't know what it's like to control a bike. They think you can maneuver and stop like they can.

Everytime there is a motorcycle accident, the driver of the car says "I didn't see him". Well... that doesn't forgive a death or months of recovery/therapy/surgery etc, etc.

Wear your gear. "Dress for the crash, not for the ride"

Hey Dragonstang off the topic ... I just bought my 07 cbr from St. Louis almost 2 weeks ago lol. I live in kansas city.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I dont see why its such a big deal to everyone that you have to have full riding gear. When i ride i just wear a helmet and gloves, But when i ride i dont do anything stupid. Sometimes i like to go fast in a straight line but thats about it. Now if i was to start riding wheelies, stunting, and taking corners like a racer then i would def wear full gear. But mostly i bought a bike to cruise around and get from point a to point b. It would be really stupid if i were to go to the store, movies, anywhere showing up in full riding gear. What do you guys think?
Sometimes just cruising you never what might happen so it's better to be safe then sorry no matter if it's just a run to the store. I would recommend you think about wearing a lil more coverage! its just that extra feeling that you might be ok in a fall or crash!

·
Registered
263 Posts
my skin is made of reenforced kevlar with titanium stitching....

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
i second the notion that no one sees sport bikes.
in fact down here in san antonio there is a real bad problem with the people that drive the huge monster trucks on the street. there are a lot of them who like to play the run the bike off the road game. it happens all the time.

as far as not needing gear. its never the riders fault. if you say i only ride fast in straight lines consider this example.

my buddy in rush hour traffic doing less than 20mph was cut off by a dumb bitch on a cell phone running a redlight. he hit her and then another car hit him on the road. even with full gear and a helmet he suffered brain injury and broken bones. without a helmet his head would have been crushed when the second car hit him.

but hey he wasnt riding fast so it should be ok right.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I think it's because a lot of riders here really respect their skin, and will take the extra precautions to protect it. I personally get fully geared up before getting on my bike, because it makes the ride much more enjoyable. The wind isn't as big of a factor, and I feel safer. I know that I'm dressed for the occasion, and I'm doing my best to stay alive. But in the end it's all up to the rider, in a perfect world we wouldn't even need gear, but that world would be rid of stupid drivers and dirty roads. I don't think there's a place like that yet.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
For some people, it takes a painful crash to figure out why people advocate wearing gear. I guess you are just one of those.

Is it tempting to go for a short spin without all of the gear? Yeah, it is. But, I only have to take one look at the gear I was wearing last time I went down to re-consider that notion.

The people that get aggresive and mean on here about gear are jerks. There are a lot of them. If you are going to be a dot net member, you have to get used to it. Wear whatever you want man, it's your life. Buy the ticket. Take the ride.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts