Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So some days I get to town and I get stuck at a few sets of lights. If I let her idle she'll heat up to and a little beyond the point where the fan kicks in (104, might see 110 some days). If I kill the engine at each of 3 stops I don;t see any higher than 95.

What's worse, extra starts or extra heat?

·
Registered
396 Posts
don't start and stop the bike, those starts are hurting the engine more than temperature. when the fan kicks in, the temp should steady out at the max(close to 230F) and not go any higher.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
don't start and stop the bike, those starts are hurting the engine more than temperature. when the fan kicks in, the temp should steady out at the max(close to 230F) and not go any higher.
wow... 230

i dont think ive ever seen mine above 223

·
fast03600rr
9,995 Posts
i saw 242 once! i got out of traffic and got some air flowing through the rad immediately! i have the same problem though my bike is always gettin hot when i'm running around town. maybe my thermostat is bad??

·
Registered
906 Posts
Stop - starting the bike is definitely worse than the "overheating" (as long as its not really overheating). Why not stick a switch to your fan so you can turn it on manually. There's a guide somewhere on this site. It works wonders - I switch it on at 90 deg (we work metric round here), and it goes back to 85 and stays there, instead of rising to 104 deg. Def. worth it.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
don't start and stop. When you stop the engine, it actually gets HOTTER. The coolant just sits in the engine and cooks, since there is no flow to and from the radiator. Even with the electric fan running, its only cooling the coolant in the radiator and not the whole engine.

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
So some days I get to town and I get stuck at a few sets of lights. If I let her idle she'll heat up to and a little beyond the point where the fan kicks in (104, might see 110 some days). If I kill the engine at each of 3 stops I don;t see any higher than 95.

What's worse, extra starts or extra heat?
time to change your cooliant bro, mine goes to 106 in town on hot days , that and wot is ya idle set to??

·
Registered
480 Posts
don't start and stop. When you stop the engine, it actually gets HOTTER. The coolant just sits in the engine and cooks, since there is no flow to and from the radiator. Even with the electric fan running, its only cooling the coolant in the radiator and not the whole engine.
It wont actually get hotter, once there is no more combustion (ie: the engine is off) there is no more heat. it is impossible to get hotter. But I agree turning it off and on is not wise.

·
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner
2,862 Posts
It does not actually get hotter it is just not cooled down as quick as if it was still running w/the fan on. I believe my fan kicks in at 220 and I dont see it get much hotter then that.

·
Ride Red
2,041 Posts
It was only 70 degrees the other day and I noticed my temp getting above 220 easily. I think I might do a DIY in the fan switch, but If I were to do it, I would only have the switch jump the power to the fan instead of make it an all the time thing. This way when the bike turns off, the fan turns off too, regardless if I left my manual switch on or off.

K

·
0 Posts
Straight water and wetter or Engine Ice would be best for hot weather or stop and go riding. a permanent fan isn't such a bad idea, but be aware that you will draw more amperage from the battery than normal.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Might be time to change coolant gee, was done about 10,000km ago.

Idle set pretty high at 1500.

Cause of the problem is more the environment than the bike itself. Bike normally sits on about 80C, but I come through a long tunnel and by the end it's approaching 90. Then I stop at toll gates and she gets to 95. Then I stop at lights and she'll hit 100. Two more sets of lights and you know what's going to happen.

I think the solution here is to put a switch on the fan so I can flick it on as soon as I hit the tunnel and leave it running until I park the bike. Had planned to do this a little while ago.....you know how it is.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just let it run. The bike is not going to overheat unless there is a problem. It is designed to run up to 240 degrees. If it should be under 220, Honda would have made the fan come on at 210, 200, 190, or some temp below 220.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The heat. Granted, bike will run up to 120C or whatever the threshhold is but let's not kid ourselves, the cooler it runs the less stress on the engine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It wont actually get hotter, once there is no more combustion (ie: the engine is off) there is no more heat. it is impossible to get hotter. But I agree turning it off and on is not wise.
The system as a whole no, you are correct, but the circulation systems yes, it will. It goes into what's called heat soak. The combustion chambers and parts (sleeves, pistons, etc) hold a great deal of heat. The coolant in the engine and engine oil will continue to increase temperature when there's no circulation.

Not counting the extra wear and tear on the starter, far more important: don't forget that there's an oil cooler attached to the liquid cooling system on your bike. Unless you have a reason not to burn gas, like you're running on reserve, let it run. It was designed to take it. If you have doubts about its operation get it to the shop ASAP.

·
Registered
321 Posts
110, you mean 210? 110 aint ****

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Don't freak out if your fan kicks on... just cuz a dog starts panting doesn't mean it's dying of thirst, just like your bike's not getting fuct because the fan's on. It's all preventative to avoid damage.
As long as the temp about levels off after the fan kicks on (taking the outside temp into consideration) you should be just fine

1 - 20 of 33 Posts