Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had our Shoei distributor Rep stop by showing us some new 2013 helmets. Even though new is usually cool, we were sort of Under whelmed with new graphics on the upcoming helmets from Arai, Shoei etc.

Seems a few years back, the graphics were really rocking and it was hard to choose.
Now it seems not so much, and the graphics are just running together and bland, except for a few Replicas.

What do you guys think. ?

And, what's your take on the new "matte" Colors. They say they are for Weight savings by not having 2 coats of clear on top. But, it seems more like Cost Savings.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Good helmets, lame designs and getting worse by the year in that area. I loved my X-9 when I had it, but wasn't that keen on the look, although it was the best I could find at the time.

They just keep going with these overly elaborate designs with wacky symbols or random swirls, stars and swooshes. They look like a bunch of junior high school kids designed them while they were in school and kept the pictures until they got a job at Shoei/Arai. X-lite, Schuberth, Nexx, Bell and Suomi are all better looking. The worst part to me is the Shoei or Arai (also Suomi) stickers they put on the forehead and sides - you know, the white one with the company name, that doesn't flow with the design at all. It's not that I would buy a helmet just because of its look, but they could at least make some effort. If they've cut out clear coats, it's to keep prices down due to the high value of the yen, I imagine.

In short, they suck.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Both of those Signet-Q's are color schemes from this year. If I had to choose I would go with the "superstar" design on the left. Personally I wear the Signet-Q and was very unimpressed with their lineup for 2012 and now 2013. My old profile has awesome graphics on it.

Having said that I know Arai has got some pretty nice graphics for the Corsair in 2013. Loved the Russel from 2012 but hated that it was on a black background. The new one for 2013 with a matte white background is SICK.

Shoei had some decent designs in 2012 for the QWest and RF1100. Designs on the X-Twelve were terrible IMO.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

"Ok so keeping with this theme, How important is GRAPHICS, to you. Would that cause, you NOT to buy it, or... just not make you Jump the Gun, until your current helmet has expired "

·
Registered
109 Posts

"Ok so keeping with this theme, How important is GRAPHICS, to you. Would that cause, you NOT to buy it, or... just not make you Jump the Gun, until your current helmet has expired "

To me helmet graphics are actually very important. Finding a helmet with a graphic that you like seems to make it more "personal" and adds to the riding experience. Having said that I would never buy a helmet simply because it had a nice graphic on it. As I said above, I am a Signet-Q head shape - love the graphics on my old profile (predecessor to the Signet-Q), but didn't really like any of the graphics for the 2012 Signet-Q. That being said, I still went with a Signet-Q because it is the right shape for me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I got really excited for the Skeet TC-6 design for my 2007 pearl white/silver. I was getting it for sure but it looks like this design will be unavailable to u.s. customers :(

Would of matched perfectly with my carbon leo.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I too feel that graphics have gone downhill.

I want to see more Replicas as well. I miss the Era of helmets like the "Tommy Gun".

Even todays replicas are rather bland. Not much personality. Look at some of the top GP riders helmets. Basically once you remove the sponsors that they now plaster all over what used to be the last piece of personality for a rider, you are left with a very bland ordinary design.

And even when they can get the rights to put the Sponsor logos on a production replica, I just lost interest. Sorry Spies, would love to rep you, but I can do without the Cheesy 8 inch Monster logo.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Really boring and they have been getting more blah each and every year; but I tend to like wild loud graphics. I'm old so I remember the really wild and crazy graphics from the mid to late 1990s; I just loved those graphics!

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
gay.......tell them to make a design thats not on every other helmet or even close to it. If im paying 400$ for a dam helmet i dont want it to look like the loser that paid 90$ for his

·
Registered
195 Posts

This was from about 4 years ago? Happened to be the last time I enjoyed anything from the SHOEI lineup.
I miss this helmet....damn lowside!
Yep I agree- every year gets worse and worse.:gun1: Its like they let a computer design swirls, pinstripes and colours to their helmets. They're all ugly. I haven't even seen many replica's worth spending the extra 200.00 or so on them.

HardRacing- do you have the chance or oppourtunity to ask these Manufacturers if they really feel excited about these yearly lineups that seem to be getting worse and worse?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts