Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently have been searching around for a place that repairs rims and have come up short. Everyplace either tells me they can't or they say they can possibly fix it. So here is my question i am a machinist and have access to a fully functional machine shop we also do fab work and cnc work. Is it even possible to fix a rim that is damaged like this or has anyone attempted it or have seen it done. Also if anyone know's exactly what type of material 05 rims were made of i.e aluminum/magnesium. Here are a couple of photos i took of the damaged area of the rim they arent the best of qaulity but you can see basically where my problem lies. If anyone has had experience with this and can offer some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to also say that the tire does leak but its a very slow leak it takes 4-5 days to go flat maybe more. These photos arent the best but if it would help i could probably take some better pictures.

·
Registered
211 Posts
While I can't tell you whether your rim is repairable or not, I know that machining is not the way specialized shops fix it. They clamp it in a fixture that allows the wheel to turn and apply pressure to bend it back into shape.
I recently had this done to one of my wheels, and the damage was less severe than on yours. The shop charged me $150, I think I could have gotten a straight used wheel for $200, your call.
The advantage of a repaired wheel: They can true it to tighter specs than OEM which is 2mm runout radial as well as axial.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
i have the exact same problem, only air does not leak. I hit a pothole on a freeway and luckily didnt go down... my dent looks just like yours though. Im thinking of watching out for a used wheel at a good price... good luck man.

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
Am I seeing correctly. That's it. That's an easy fix. Less than $100.

Send that crap to Will's rim repair in SC... That sh1t is cake....

864 787 1351

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While I can't tell you whether your rim is repairable or not, I know that machining is not the way specialized shops fix it. They clamp it in a fixture that allows the wheel to turn and apply pressure to bend it back into shape.
I recently had this done to one of my wheels, and the damage was less severe than on yours. The shop charged me $150, I think I could have gotten a straight used wheel for $200, your call.
The advantage of a repaired wheel: They can true it to tighter specs than OEM which is 2mm runout radial as well as axial.

I know they dont machine them but i also have access to alot a fab shop and i can make any type of fixture needed to hold the rim or bend it. I also have access to alot of machinery like hydraulic presses and lathes so i cant actually get it within tighter tolerances than they would. And we also have a balancing machine so i can balance it aswell. And if something were to go wrong i can always weld it up and re-machine it. The only reason shops dont machine rims because its not cost efficient but in my case all it involves is my time. I was mainly curious if anyone had attempted doing this. I guess i could always try it and if it doesnt work go buy a new wheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts