Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got into another discussion with a friend of mine, who always likes to ask me about whether I did a wheelie or not. I keep telling him no, I don't wheelie...don't know how and am not really interested. It's not something I want to practice, especially on a bike that's pretty new. I would rather spend the time getting better at riding itself.

Anyhow, he goes on to say how he thinks dragging a knee at high speeds on the track shows control and skill of the bike, and holding up the bike on one wheel at high speeds also shows control and skill of the bike. Then he says a truly good rider should be able to do both, and adds that he bets any good profressional racer is also good at wheelies.

Maybe I am crazy, but this sounds very ridiculous to me. Just wondering what others think.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bet almost all professional racers can wheelie just from spending that much seat time on the bike, you will have control of the throttle well enough to control it on one wheel. just my guess

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,874 Posts
i'd agree that both show a skill and command of the bike. i would guess most pro racers can wheelie pretty well, but whether they can do the more difficult stunts i'm not so sure of. i wouldn't say a good stunter would make a good track racer tho. wheelies seem to be more about throttle and brake control which racers will have, as well as knowing the limits of the bike.

*disclaimer* i don't stunt at all...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think both skils require practice, sometimes you find out that your a better racer than a stunter or vice versa. I agree with BlueBur....maybe he is a hell of a racer but can he sit on his gas tank a do a wheelie?? Probably not. I wonder if pro racers have stunt bikes to??? I would 4 sure!

Later

·
Registered
684 Posts
That's like saying a Marine should also be a world class brain surgen.
Stunts, and racing are diffrent. They both show skill, but in diffrent ways and areas.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I know alot of guys who cant wheelie to save their life but would run circles around most on the track. It all boils down to what you"re interested in. If you"re in it for the long run just ride & enjoy. :) Who really cares?

·
Registered
757 Posts
I think it all comes down to practice a good road racer and a good stunter both put tons of hours in perfectin how to control the bike on the edge. So there for if a road racer took up stuntin he would put that same work ethic towards stuntin and vise versa. But as far as comin straight over im sure either would b more proficient then ur average rider based on the higher number of hours/miles on the bike.

·
Registered
336 Posts
loco_rr said:
I think both skils require practice, sometimes you find out that your a better racer than a stunter or vice versa. I agree with BlueBur....maybe he is a hell of a racer but can he sit on his gas tank a do a wheelie?? Probably not. I wonder if pro racers have stunt bikes to??? I would 4 sure!

Later
I think pros get paid not to go out and do stuff like that. Like football players and what not.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I would think that most race bikes can wheelie at will coming out of a corner but you have more control on 2 wheels then just one. Now the front wheel may come off the ground at times but generally most racers want to be fast not look good doing stunts. Aa a racer knowing when their bike will wheelie is good to know, that way they know how much throttle they can put down without bring the front up.

They are just different skills, pro stunters spend as much time racing around the track trying to go faster as pro racers spend time practising their stunts.....very little.

·
Registered
533 Posts
i dunno i got a bucn of friends that can wheelie all day long and love the straightaways. but when it comes to the twisties i smoke by them

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
i dont think the too are related.
i know a few guys that track often and cant wheelie, and most of the stunt heads i ride with i spank em in the twisties.

twisties takes some skill, and learning, wheelies, take mostly balls. cause i dont have em to try that sh!t, and once you kinda got it most people seem to just nail it after a while everytime, yet twisties they cant hang.

one of my wheelie head boys says he doesnt feel in control leaned over in the turns like that, but he feels totally in control with that front wheel in the air, cause its all in the wrist.

·
Registered
638 Posts
your friend in spartially right -- yes professional riders should be able to control their bike at their limits -- wheelies, stoppies, knee dragging. However, just because some one can pull these stunts does not mean that they are good/fast riders

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
you ever seen the Hayden video of him on the motard? and Rossi's little can-can wheelies over the finish line.

you spend enough time on a bike, getting comfortable with it, and you can make it do anything you want it to, with a little practice. it just depends on how much you practice doing what.

i can still spank most of my buddies in the twistys, and not even drag my cage. but i monkey off the bike pretty good to do it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts