Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guy i have an 04 cbr600rr and i wanna wheelie it since i could do endos and burnouts i think the wheelie will be a god addition but i just cant get teh wheel up and just to make it clear ive never done a wheelie so i really dont want to clutch it , will the 520 kit or any other sproket change make it easier to pwer it up in second, and to make it clear i have totally broken in my bike and i could control it pretty easy but clutching just sounds to crazy

·
Registered
181 Posts
Work on clutching, practice. 15/45 kit is like day and night, 2nd will become like 1st. Just practice, practice, and, practice. If you go that route (change up) you love it.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I wouldnt sprocket it untill you can wheelie it with the stock gearing, adding to the sprocket count will just make the throttle more sensitive, it'll be easier to bring the wheelie up, but alot harder to control if you're not used to it. And since you're starting out I'd just stick with the stock gears so that its less sensitive. BTW: since you've never done a wheelie before, now is the best time to learn clutching, alot nicer than pow pow power who0lies..esp on our bikes they dont have alot of TQ, so you can just throw it up at low rpm without clutchin..and dont forget to cover the rear brake.

·
Registered
170 Posts
ya definately go with clutching it.... its a lot better than gasing it... I would try sitting down in 2nd give it 3/4 throttle and just "snap" the clutch in and out (try to use one finger you might have to adjust clutch so it grabs higher) around 40-45MPH. it shouldnt come up real fast or even at all. Youll prolly just get the fork to uncompress. but get the feel for it. Once you do that do that same thing but stand up and cover the rear brake. go the same speed and clutch it with one finger but dont give it as much gas. youll feel it come up.. if it doesnt come up just give it a little more gas... youll get the feel, once you know how much gas to give it youll itll just "pop" and youll be at a low RPM to control the wheelie...

·
Registered
78 Posts
I went with the 15-45 kit before I learned to wheelie, and I would have to say that it is a biotch to get the throttle control down. you barely let off and it slams back down. For me first gear comes up faster than I am comfortable with and second is still a bit touchy. Try running your throttle at about 5k take it up to about 7k where you feel your power band start to kick in, pull in the clutch with one finger gas it a little and snap the clutch back out. I was the one asking questions on here about 6 months back. Honestly you wont learn a damn thing without putting a lot of time and practice into it. You will read on here that you will practice your ass off and then one day it clicks. I waited and waited for this “click” and just when I was convinced it would never come, it happened and I wheelie all over the damn place now. don’t watch the tack, just listen for the sweet spot and you will be fine. It isn’t a science, just a feel that you have to get the hang of.

Practice in a safe place, where your gear and keep the rear brake covered.

·
Registered
133 Posts
520 conversions is just a different gauged chain and sprocket, you can get 16/43 520 sprocket and all that. So when you do get new sprokets just stay with the 525 unless you want to have it as a track bike then the lighter chain and sprocket will help a little. I would suggest staying stock for right now though, untill you got clutching down pat. It's much safer i think than pow pow's. I don't even try to power it. Look in the stickies one of them has a pretty good instructional video in it. Remember practice, practice, practice, wear your gear and cover that brake.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so what speed should i try it at and clutch at what rpms to what rpms and should i sit down or stand up and if stand up which pegs hould i use

·
Registered
969 Posts
I would suggest 20-25mph in 1st gear, anything slower your gonna have to worry about side to side movement. Sitting down is what I was practicing on then maybe go to staggerd stand ups,left foot on passenger peg/right over the rear brake (just what your more comfy with, everybody is different). Don't even worry about looking at the RPM's, you should be looking/consentrating forward or at the front fender. Keep your knees pressed into the gas tank, snap clutch & throttle at the same time using 1 finger on clutch, start SMALL & go bigger/longer. Once u get it up to your desired hight, let off throttle SLIGHTLY & start modulating it (very small movements) carrying them longer & longer each time. Cover that rear brake, although engine braking is great in 1st gear. Ride safe/wear your gear, take baby steps, & of course practice practice practice!!!!!

Oh yeah, if you haven't been riding long. Take a year or so to get to know your bike, cuz throttle control is Key.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Definetley work on clutching them up. The key to anything to do with wheelies and stunting is clutch. Power wheelies are so unpredictable. Just take your time and practice

·
Registered
969 Posts
1st does come up fast but if your taking baby steps u shoud get use to it. Plus if your in 1st gear that means your going slower while learning & you can also use some of that engine braking if you cant hit the rear brake in time. If you master the throttle control in 1st gear, the rest of them will be cake!!!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Blizzle RR said:
1st does come up fast but if your taking baby steps u shoud get use to it. Plus if your in 1st gear that means your going slower while learning & you can also use some of that engine braking if you cant hit the rear brake in time. If you master the throttle control in 1st gear, the rest of them will be cake!!!
+101..Baby steps my friend..baby steps...Be patient it takes ALOT of practice..

·
Registered
12 Posts
seriously. try clutching about 1k rpm higher than your riding rpm, just so you feel what's going to happen..then slowly start grabbing more rpm's till your comfortable... and oh yea, DON"T LISTEN TO YOUR FRIENDS!!!!! just work at your own pace...and good luck bro

1 - 16 of 16 Posts