Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 2004 kawie 636 that i could wheelie out of 2nd, w. or w/o clutch. now i have a 2004 600rr that is all stock. there is no way i can lift the front wheel in 2nd. is my motor weak or is this how grears are on 600 rr? thank you

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I did the other day w/o dropping the clutch... It scared the crap out of me. I wason the 710 S and saw that if I got around these trucks it was relatively wide open. So I gunned it in second (I ride in really low gears - even on the freeway) and started to lean in a little as I pulled in front of the truck... Just as I did that big gust of wind hit me and my front wheel came up while I was right around 13-14K... it started coming up fast and the wind was blowing me off the freeway. I really didnt know what to do because normally I would gas it thru a turn (not that this was a turn, but it started becoming one because the windwas blowing me off and I was leaning into it.), but my wheel came up quickly... To tell you the truth, Im not sure what I did to save myself, but Im sure I eased off on the throttle to bring the wheel down.

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
Ceph said:
you have to press the wheelie button.
not all RR have that either. you have to custom order it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've been able to loft it using the clutch, if you regear you should have a much easier time of it. RR's are geared for the moon.

Actually I did have a beautiful 2nd gear power wheelie last weekend. I was riding aggresively on some backroads, coming out of some corners I hit a straight at about 70+ish in 2nd gear when I cleared a small rise. I then rode out a gorgeous wheelie till about 90ish. It was awesome.

Edit: This is on a 03 with stock gearing and a slipon.

·
Registered
182 Posts
how bout 3rd gear

after a few minor mods I can power up wheelies in 3rd. mods include down one on the front sprocket, power commander and air filter. it might take you a while but you should be able to bounce the bike in 2nd ,bone stock, with no clutch, and atleast mid way into the powerband. The bike will come up alot better in 2nd when clutched up, it is a bit intimidating at first. but clutching can be done at alot lower speeds then what is needed to get her up with just power. It's all about the powerband, that is the sweet spot!!!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
i have never had a problem clutching mine up in second and all i had was a slipon. i added a pc over the winter and it became a little easier, and just this last weekend i added a 520 conversion with -1+2 on the sprockets. its been raining so i havent got to ride it yet but i can only imagine that i shoulod have no problem powering them up in second now

·
Registered
470 Posts
You can wheelie in second for sure. Especially if you know what you are doing.

I say this because I popped my wheelie cherry once when I got pissed at a cager. I revved the bike up real high and slowly(I thought)let the clutch out, as so as I did this the bike came up a little, I then grabbed for the clutch to cut power and popped it into second on accident (the bike lurched), the revs were still up pretty high so when I let the clutch back out it stood right up. My friend who was behind me said it all happened it a few seconds and I got up to about 3 feet. It scared the hell outta me. I felt more like I was holding on for the ride, apparently I was kicking my legs. When I did let go of the throttle I tucked to the bike so tight I sucked the seat up my a$$. j/k

So basically it can be done. I also saw a guy in a parking lot going maybe twenty lift the front wheel a foot. Almost as if he was saying hi.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
HRC sells an ECU with 3 different engine maps & it comes with a switch, #1 is for low wheelies for beginners, #2 is big wheelies for novices & #3 is MEGA wheelies for pro riders (on this setting yo can do wheelies even in 6th). :rocker:

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
OveRReV said:
HRC sells an ECU with 3 different engine maps & it comes with a switch, #1 is for low wheelies for beginners, #2 is big wheelies for novices & #3 is MEGA wheelies for pro riders (on this setting yo can do wheelies even in 6th). :rocker:
can you tell me where i can one of these? i've been trying to wheelie but my obese weight hasnt allowed me to. i'm sure one of these will do the trick. so correct me if im wrong, i install the new ECU, wire the switch to my flux capacitor and then hit it when i wanna wheelie?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Be careful when connecting the wires the flux capacitor.......and once you have learned to wheelie properly - remember to carry a pair of "sky hooks" so that you can maintain the wheelie for days.

·
Registered
199 Posts
just rode the bike for the first time after the 520 conv. holy fricken sh!!t. its like having to learn how to ride on a brand new bike that you have never rode before. i cant wait to get my switch wired in to my flux compasitor. i will be unstopable then

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok, thanks. the bike i have had the engine replaced. i do realize that i will not be winning any stunt competitions any time soon, but it seems strange that i was able to ride nice enough wheelies in 2nd on a 636 and i cannot on the rr, clutch or no clutch. perhaps a mechanic should look at the engine and let me know if there is a problem.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Different bike geometry... The RR is designed with the intention of getting the power to the ground without lifting the front wheel... Thus, making it harder to wheely in the process... It just takes a bit more effort.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts