Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 cbr 600rr with a -1/+2 conversion , am having trouble finding the correct rev range - My speedo meter does not work so i dont know how fast am going...

Sometimes it will come easily , a next time it will come up too far. am new to wheeling , so i want them to come up a safe , low height.

What rpm range should i pop the clutch at?
How can i smooth them out and let it come up slowly ?

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,849 Posts
you need more horsepower to get them to come up slowly. or do power wheelies (don't, they're gay and everyone hates them)

just get on the gas, roll hard into it, then dip the clutch.

you need to do this in the lower rpms, not the higher ones, because it's the DIFFERENCE between your current engine speed and the engine speed when you drop the clutch that produces the accel needed to wheelie. if you rev it too high you'll get nowhere.

in second gear you want to be going pretty slow.. maybe 20-25mph

·
Registered
195 Posts
What gear are you doing these in, 1st, 2nd, etc? For me at least in 1st gear I will hold the throttle around 7k, slip the clutch and release around 11k-12k. This is with stock gearing and it still comes up fairly quick. With the higher fear ratio it will come up faster, but a lot of it is going to depend on how fast you are getting the rpms up and releasing the clutch. Be safe, wear your gear, and you should probably find an empty lot to be trying this stuff out ;-)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What gear are you doing these in, 1st, 2nd, etc? For me at least in 1st gear I will hold the throttle around 7k, slip the clutch and release around 11k-12k. This is with stock gearing and it still comes up fairly quick. With the higher fear ratio it will come up faster, but a lot of it is going to depend on how fast you are getting the rpms up and releasing the clutch. Be safe, wear your gear, and you should probably find an empty lot to be trying this stuff out ;-)
am doing them in 1st gear , sometimes i get them to a comfortable height..a next time i cant get the front up. am just not consistence , but i know i have keep practicing and take it slow.

how fast should i be popping the clutch , and do i hold the throttle steady @ around 6-7 rpm and then rev it a bit and at the same time pop the clutch ???

·
Registered
195 Posts
It's not a speed thing so don't worry about that. Again, this is just what works for me, roll the throttle on and then hold rpms at around 7k with the clutch released. Lightly slip the clutch while quickly twisting the throttle, and then quickly "dump" the clutch around 11-12k. And when you twist the throttle to raise the rpms it is more of a blip, so you're not actually staying full on with the throttle.

The fact that you're qetting them up sometimes and not others is telling me you know how to do it, just not consitantly. To be frank, you're probably psyching yourself out. Nothing to be ashamed of, you will get less nervous about them the more you practice.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I can wheelie on a mountain bike for a good couple hundred feet. Using the back brake is critical. I don't try on my 600RR, it's too nice.

On my gsxr-750, I pop the clutch in second around 5-7k rpms ish, and then I ride that **** out as long as I can. Still haven't gotten used to using the back brake on that one. I need more practice

·
Registered
195 Posts
I picked up a little Chinese pitbike, ssr I think, for dirt cheap on offerup and just wheelie that now. It's good for learning balance point, parts are cheap, and if I dump it it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I picked up a little Chinese pitbike, ssr I think, for dirt cheap on offerup and just wheelie that now. It's good for learning balance point, parts are cheap, and if I dump it it's not a big deal.
Thanks man for the help and advice. I think am gonna hold off wheeling my 600rr.. think am gonna buy a cheap dirtbike and practice on that.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was watching some youtube vidz and saw some guys loop their bikes attempting wheelies (that scared the **** out of me, wheelies look cool and all but the risk is too great) so for now I think am gonna try and get a dirtbike

That is my bike below , and i would really hate to F%&k it up trying wheelies. .. I love my bike too much .. lol :)

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Nice moto JX!
Ya man I looped my Interceptor going up a hill, did a lot of damage, had to haul it back home in a truck.
Be safe.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
382 Posts
I was watching some youtube vidz and saw some guys loop their bikes attempting wheelies (that scared the **** out of me, wheelies look cool and all but the risk is too great) so for now I think am gonna try and get a dirtbike

That is my bike below , and i would really hate to F%&k it up trying wheelies. .. I love my bike too much .. lol :)
Ummm, yeah...

Getting good at wheelies to the point where you really have no fear of crashing takes a good amount of practice. If you want to 12 o'clock, you'll need to practice even more. Guess what... Very likely you will crash. Nobody learns how to wheelie on their "baby", well that is to say those that don't subsequently crash their "baby".

If you want to dedicate your time to learning to wheelie, by all means do it, but by all means don't do it on your pride and joy. There are few people who are very good at wheelies who have never crashed - very few.

When you begin, just make sure you have a good support structure around you. Not just financially (because it will most likely cost you some money sooner than later), but also people that will be there when you do crash.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts