Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What all will have to be done? What will i need to do on my part? Any tips?

I've found a black 2006 that I'm going to buy. However this will be my first time buying anything privately.

I know we have to go to the courthouse to transfer the title into my name and i have to go to the dmv to get it registered and pay taxes on it, then get insurance.

Is there anything else I'm missing?

(Insurance is CRAZY on a 600rr for an 18 year old. 800 a year is the cheapest I've found)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
What all will have to be done? What will i need to do on my part? Any tips?

I've found a black 2006 that I'm going to buy. However this will be my first time buying anything privately.

I know we have to go to the courthouse to transfer the title into my name and i have to go to the dmv to get it registered and pay taxes on it, then get insurance.

Is there anything else I'm missing?

(Insurance is CRAZY on a 600rr for an 18 year old. 800 a year is the cheapest I've found)
First of all, do you know how to ride? I ask this b/c you will want to test ride and inspect the bike.

If you don't know how to ride, or you are not that familiar with inspecting a motorcycle, take someone with you that does.

Take a look at the foot pegs to see if there is any rash underneath. Inspect the triple tree bump stops on the head tube of the frame for damage.

Inspect the throttle action, brakes, chain, tires, etc.

Like I said, if you don't know how to do this, ask someone who does. And if you don't know anyone, ask a member on here that perhaps lives close by.

You'll need an odometer disclosure statement, and a bill of sale. The taxes you pay on the bike when you register it with the DMV are based on the purchase price. Keep that in mind.

Also, in CA, transfer of ownership and registration is done with the DMV.

Didn't check to see what state you're in, but I imagine its the same.

One more thing that is important, does the "owner" have the pink slip? If not, you and the owner need to speak with the bank that is financing the bike, and find out the payoff amount.

Have any other questions, PM me.

·
Registered
857 Posts
You'll need an odometer disclosure statement, and a bill of sale. The taxes you pay on the bike when you register it with the DMV are based on the purchase price. Keep that in mind.

fyi....this is no longer true in the state of texas. they charge taxes on book value now regardless of how much you pay....sucks!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
fyi....this is no longer true in the state of texas. they charge taxes on book value now regardless of how much you pay....sucks!
dude, that does suck!!

leave it to some money hungry bureaucrat to ruin it for everyone

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
woww that freakin sucks...thank God NY goes by the "purchase price"

yea dude take someone with you who knows about bikes.

Also, I think you may be making it more complicated than it really is but then again Im not too sure of your state's laws. In NYC both parties sign the title and the bill of sale. Takes those to the DMV, pay your sales tax and wait for the new title to come in. Im not quite sure if you need to go to the courthouse. Good luck with the purchase, you'll love the bike

·
Registered
59 Posts
In Missouri you just need a signed title and current safety inspection to transfer ownership...that is, as long as your personal property taxes are up to date.

Then you get to pay your sales tax- all at the DMV.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Works that way in Delaware too. I bought my 07 last september for $5000 and I payed book (somewhere around $6300 i believe). However, I want to say that she gave me the low book value.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I live in Kentucky. So he could sell it to me at whatever he wants and i pay taxes on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts