Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ive been searching around the forums and couldn't really find an answer so yeah...when did everyone replace their fork oil? i bought my bike just about a year ago and have 14,xxx miles on it, don't notice any leaks or anything...but where should i look for fork oil leaks? also...when i replace my fork oil should i also replace the seals since i have everything apart already? i'm not sure if i should try to do this myself or take it to a shop?

·
Registered
969 Posts
It seems that the fork seals last around the 10,000 mile mark. You should be able to look at the shiny part on your forks & see the greasy oil. Right before I wrecked my bike, I noticed that the left fork seal was starting to leak & I had about 9500 miles. Keep in mind, it does matter how many wheelies u do & how hard u land them. Needless to say, I did a FEW wheelies on my bike....LoL If you have it apart to replace the fork oil, I would go ahead and replace BOTH of the seals. Make sure u get OEM seals cuz I've heard all others are junk!!

Here's a lil How To:
http://motorcyclistonline.com/howto/replace_fork_seals

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm i have a little over 14K but no signs of any leakage...you guys think i should do it around 15k or wait til i see some oil on the forks? i don't know if i should do this myself or just take it to a local shop hmmmm i wonder if there are any write ups on this how-to-do on here?

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,791 Posts
what does the manual have to say about it?

·
Banned
544 Posts
I believe the manual says 5k-7k miles for changing the fork oil. As long as you have the fork apart to replace seals, replace the fluid. Its a good time to upgrade springs if you need to, make sure you get a seal driver, the outer fork bushing is a PITA to put back in without one.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm at a little over 12k miles and no signs of anything. I do also occasionally pull it up to the 11 o'clock position and ride it out a little and bring it back down smoothly. Only hit hard a few times.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,791 Posts
checked the Honda service manual & nowhere does it say to replace the fork oil in the suspensions, all it indicates is "I" or inspect at the specified intervals, only when it leaks you do the maintenance, don't fix if it ain't broken.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
fork oil should at least be replaced every 2 years. thats what I heard. manual might say as much but not sure.

I went 12,000 miles and 2 years on original fork oil, then replaced it. No previous leaks, no wheelies. You could tell the difference.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
I changed mine after 10k miles. Then again at 11k because I wanted a thicker oil.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the advice guys. i'll probably do that, along with my valve adjustment when i take her in for that service at 16K. does anyone know what type of fork oil they would use at a honda service center? i'm assuming honda fork oil? what is it, 10W?

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I started noticing a difference in mine at 6,500 miles and changed the fluid at 11k. Like pantablo says you WILL notice a difference when you get some fresh oil in there. I still have the stock seals and they're holding fine but I'm ready to change the fluid again.

The fork oil is SS-8 which is 10W. However, I would NOT let the dealership do your forks. Find a local racing shop or ship them out to Eric @ GDM or Chad at Kinetic Motorsports. There are others that you can ship them too also. Pulling the forks to ship is very easy.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think I should change mine as well, I want to use a Synthetic Fluid...Has anyone tried the Motul?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I changed mine for the first time at 31,000 miles. I am still using the stock seals. I also threw in some Ohlins fork springs while I was in there. I could tell a HUGE difference!

·
Registered
389 Posts
If you keep your fork tubes clean the seals will last the life of the bike. Pop wheelies and abuse them and you'll have trouble sooner.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Rubber comes from a tree - even if the seal is made of a lot of non-rubber materials, there is still some; so, this means natural oils will be present - so also allot like tyres on the wheels.... ....if you hardly ride your bike, your tires (I'll re-spell that for ya) will last ages? ....umm, is that statement OK? Or would you think there may be a loss of traction in 2022 when you wheel her out and decide to cut come laps? Why? Could it be the out-gassing and lack of oils in the rubber that allows the correct degree of flex in the compound to promote traction? So, likewise, the shock seal or the fork seal, or even a plunger type steering damper seal, regardless of leaking will want/need changing periodically - there isn't that much we can do right now about our levels of technology. It needs flex to slide properly on the shaft surface.

Even if something is not leaking, it is not enough proof that the internal oils' molecular chains have not broken down or sheared into oblivion/burnt/turned into cat-pee - the oils besides doing a job of filming/lubricating, also provide cushioning (sort of the same thing) as well as the damping properties - I suppose if we talked of motor oils as needing changing only when the motor started to weep like a 1960's Triumph it might sound a little ridiculous, but to me this is how it is with suspensions!

Fluids can only ever be changed too often when the system takes undue stress in being manipulated apart and back together again during the oil-swapping processes. A design issue of course, and does not afflict our model of machine's fork type.

I know this is a thread from the depths, but it may still assist today...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have always had it down on the forks and rear shock each winter. If you are doing a lot of track days then I would recommend it. I think the average rider doesn't do it until there's an issue

1 - 18 of 18 Posts