Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was stuck on the 101 near the 405 for about 45 minutes today due to the damn L.A. traffic. :-x I was really contemplating on splitting lanes but thought otherwise. Got my first bike 3 weeks ago, passed MSF course 2 weeks ago, only got my permit 1 week ago. getting my license tomorrow, put 200 miles on the bike (local and freeway driving) so far.
Sooo... How long did it take you to gather your nerves to split lanes in 0-10 mph traffic when you first starting riding???

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Just keep it easy for awhile. You don't have a license so riding at night and on the freeway isn't legal. Start with spliting really slow in stopped or slow traffic. I watch the front tires and the drivers head of the cars to make sure they aren't going to cut over on me. But I only do it when I need to and feel safe about it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Amen, I give you props for controlling yourself so well, I wouldnt have ever been able not to split with traffic like that, but then again I learned on a bike that wasnt nearly as sexy as the 600rr so guess that changes things alot =).

But yah as mabbottusmc states take it slow, baby steps.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I do it only when traffic is stopped. once traffic moves I stay in lane & ride normally. If there is yellow line on the right and traffic is slow, then go for it. I've ridden behind the yellow line once and saved at least 45minutes.

Be extreamly cautious even if traffic is stopped.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Man, you CA guys got it all. We just have to sit in a parking lot here in Orlando (I-4) and wait it out. Must be nice to have that option

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
I love where I live, A traffic jam in central NY is a car coming from the other direction. The only problem with central NY is a lot of the white hairs that migrate down to florida for the winter come back up here for the summer. They create thier own traffic jam by doing 40 in a 55 with 20 cars lined up behind them.

C

·
0 Posts
DAMN IT!!! I have to sit in f'n NJ traffic. Sure, I can split lanes, but that damn ticket will be pretty heavy.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Whats "sitting in traffic"???

And what is this "lane splitting" that you all speak of???

Cant say that I have ever had the oppertunity to do so here in the middle of Iowa.....traffic jams just aren't that common....so sad... :bounce:

·
Registered
393 Posts
I would wait until next year to start with lane splitting. You need to be most familiar with your bike, and how it reacts to sudden inputs. Splitting lanes can be very dangerous, less so in CA because people are allowed to do it. Your restraint makes me think you are going to end up being a very good, safe rider.

My personal speed reference is this, anything fast enough to need 2nd gear, I fall back into line with the cages.

Also, you aren't a real nutter until you split lanes on little 2-lane back country roads (riding the double yellow - car whizzing buy 50mph opposite direction of you about 12" off you arm, 2nd car 12" off your other arm traveling same direction as you... only slower). :bitchslap: DON'T EVER TRY THIS UNLESS YOU DON'T VALUE YOUR LIFE!!!!! :bitchslap:

·
Registered
784 Posts
We cant split in NJ? All I remember from the driver's manual is it saying that splitting is a dangerous practice. Nothing about it being illegal tho.

L

·
0 Posts
what's up luis, good to see you over here.

i have done it a few times. one time some ******* in truck tried to block me and almost took me out. be careful if you decide to do it, cagers get all butt hurt and act stupid.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'd be afraid to do it even if it was legal. People in GA drive like they want to catch a case.

I've split the D before in my car....stupid but I was young and ignorant.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I'm in NYC, so it's either split, or get home in 1.5 hrs.
A few things to watch for: car movement, driver shoulders, ROAD SURFACE, cigaretts, people spitting, and coffee. :shock: Make sure people see and hear you. Dont just sneak up on them.

Rev your engine, turn on your highbeam, and cover both brakes.

I've seen guys split lanes at 50 mph. :bitchslap: I split at 9mph. If i need to stop, i'll raise the rear wheel, but i'll stop on a dime. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
287 Posts
maybe im a squid or something, but there's really never a time im not splitting lanes. I hardly ever sit idle at normal traffic speed. Im always going 2-5mph faster than traffic.

·
Registered
526 Posts
what if someone opens there door your screwed

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow... from reading these replies, it seems that hardly anyone in this forum splits lanes ewven though it's legal (pertaining to California riders).
However in reality, it seems that most riders do split lanes, at least when I'm sitting in a cage in standstill traffic. Hell, I've even seen lane splitters in 60 mph traffic.

·
Registered
937 Posts
what if someone opens there door your screwed

I've had that happen to me, twice. :shock:

Both times i made it out with only a hard bump to the leg.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts