Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK... crashed my bike back in September...

Got it painted 2 thursdays ago... crashed 3 days later on a saturday.. (2 weeks agoish), got it painted, then crashed today... have to get it painted AGAIN..

Needless to say i feel like the biggest dumbass... and for some reason i cant drive a freshly painted bike, because i always seem to lay it down.

First time back in September i came in a turn to hot and hit the shoulder washing out..

2 weeks ago i slid out on the white line of the bike lane...

Today i almost died... i am seriously questioning getting back on a bike..

I was in a parking lot and going to pull out.. i looked left and a saw a truck in the distance, looked right and saw no cars.... started to pull out and looked back left to see the truck about 10 yards from me... i slammed on my breaks to prevent being broadsided by a speeding truck and did a stoppie, throwing myself over the front bars. I went over and the truck slammed its breaks missing me and pulled over.

I picked up my bike and luckily the girl stopped to see if i was ok.. she was more scared than i was... but i was ok so i wasnt mad because i was alive.. bike can be fixed, i cant.. i was a bit fristrated that my bike had a cracked and scrached upper and scratched tail.

I let her know that she almost hit me(stating the obvious), she was going way to fast... she was bout 17-18 years old and said she took that road cuz she could go fast.. she was doing about 70-80 in a 35 / 45.....

Well.. i am deffinately shook up.. i know im a good rider, but there are factors (like sliding out on white lines, and almost getting hit by speeding motorists) that i cant really avoid... Kinda makes me question when is enough enough? im only 20 years old and almost got killed today on my sisters birthday... kinda makes me think twice about riding again.....

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Maybe cut back on your riding... I have noticed since my daughters birth that I have cut down on my riding. This makes me enjoy my rides more. I just head out to the country and it's just like I was riding it when she was brand new.

Be safe.. T

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Toobs said:
...im only 20 years old and almost got killed today on my sisters birthday... kinda makes me think twice about riding again.....
Toobs...wisdom sometimes comes with age and life experiences...sounds like from the experiences you've had, you should be able to make a wise decision

Ride well...

·
Registered
606 Posts
thats the kind of stuff that happens on the street,...........when you get burned out on it do a trackday.........you'll be done with street riding then fo sho

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, Im just glad im alive today.

The thing that bugs me is financially i cant afford to crash every time i paint it lol...

Im afraid to put money into it, if there are uncontrolable factors that cause crashes ya know? not everything i have control over.... but i will definately be calming it down... hopefully extend my life expectancy past 21.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you keep crashing get a cage.. It will save your paint :p Also as that guy before stated, cut back on your riding. For me riding gets agrivating if I ride too much just doing B.S errands or to and from work, Pluss that crap is just no fun. I dont do track days, but instead a ride into the mtns, or a quick ride at night when the air is cool. Trust me bro, enjoying your rides will make everything way better, and enjoying a ride cant be done if you keep crashing or stressin out from traffic. As for the white lines, I hear people crashing on those things, Wouldnt it make sense for people to slow way down in intersections. Ive had my tire break free a time or two, but I konw what the lines will to if taken too fast so, case in point, slow it down! Thats just my .02

·
Hooked on Phonics
2,826 Posts
training wheels always worked for my sister...... haha no just ride a little safer or slower and enjoy your self, you know take it easy

·
Banned
544 Posts
I went through the same thing a couple years ago- you are constantly having to be on the lookout on the bike, cause you are the smallest thing on the road- I got tired of older people(mainly) looking and not caring that I had right of way or not looking at all- I quit- in fact my RR this next spring will be the first time I'll be back on a bike in a while. We'll see how that goes. But yeah, it does make you reexamine your priorities.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
My buddy crashed his bike like 5 times in 1.5 months, lol. I dont think hes a bad rider, just gets ahead of himself. Might wanna just not paint it for a while man, lol make peace with that fact that you'll prolly crash again and live with the fact that you crashed and people will know you crashed because your paints all scratched up.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
Toobs
I am worried about you bro take it easy man
its time for you to do some reading and when you read
these words think about how you could have reacted
in a different way

These are your own words

know im a good rider, but there are factors (like sliding out on white lines, and almost getting hit by speeding motorists) that i cant really avoid... Kinda makes me question when is enough enough? im only 20 years old and almost got killed today on my sisters birthday... kinda makes me think twice about riding again.

I disagree with you on the white lines part riding on painted areas
specailly when these areas are wet ( early morning dew , rain )
is asking for TROUBLE
Just like underestimating speeds of approaching cagers is
disasterous

....i read a lot of these pointers evrey week
just to stay sharp and focused trust me u will recap the benefits

1.http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=35712
2.http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=46242
3.http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=53861

Best of luck

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Ok, seems like you've gotten a lot of good advice here, so I'm not going to restate anything. I'm just going to ask, was the girl hot?

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,791 Posts
dude if you ever have doubts about your riding then stop for a while it's no good if you ride with a mindset you have now especially when you question your riding abilities, i was in a situation such as yours when i binned my 600RR for the first time, i had it fixed, put on frame sliders but my self confidence isn't what it used to be before the crash so that's where i decided to have a trackday, yes, call me whatever you want but i really did b'coz my belief was if you don't overcome your fear or crashing & still continue to ride with doubts in your head you'll be asking for trouble & crash more frequently.

when i took my bike for it's first trackday i was overly cautious about riding it ffast b'coz i'm afraid i might bin it again but my mind was deadset on improving my skills & conquering my fear, as the day wore on i found myself going faster & quicker every lap a tenth of a second everytime & at the end of the day i slashed 15seconds off the the lap times i first started with. i was very happy i came through it all unscathed, i concentrated on getting smooth with the steering, braking, downshifting, throttle control & body positioning & it has helped my immensely on the street, even riding in the rain hasn't got me worried b'coz i know what me & the bike can do, my friends thought i was crazy for riding fast in the rain but it felt like i was just going my normal pace.

you need to get back your confidence up buddy & increase your skills in the process, invest in stuff like books about cornering & riding skills, read all that several times over before i hit the track. when you increase your skills & get back your confidence you'll be a better street rider than you ever was before but don't get too cocky them cagers will still have lots of ways to mess you up (at least you'll be much better equipped).

you're still young & if you decide to stop riding it's your decision there's plenty of time for you to get back into riding but think about what i said, if you're serious about continuing to ride then you need to take the step & do a trackday, they should make this mandatory for every race replica sportbike owner.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Toobs said:
I was in a parking lot and going to pull out.. i looked left and a saw a truck in the distance, looked right and saw no cars.... started to pull out and looked back left to see the truck about 10 yards from me... i slammed on my breaks to prevent being broadsided by a speeding truck and did a stoppie, throwing myself over the front bars. I went over and the truck slammed its breaks missing me and pulled over.
how fast did you pull out that you did a stoppie and went over the bars?

I agree, you should really reconsider riding, at least for now, because your situational awareness isnt up to the task at the moment. Next time you might not be so lucky.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Here I go with my 2 cents...Just like everybody else take it easy and maybe take a rider course to refresh your mind on some safe riding skills. Like I said just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
maybe you have bad depth perception. Get your eyes checked. Maybe you have bad reaction time. How do you know your a good rider anyway? Good luck on whatever your decision. I'm not the type to let one bad thing scare me but three????? Damn I would take that as a sign to stop riding.

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
dozadj said:
maybe you have bad depth perception. Get your eyes checked. Maybe you have bad reaction time. How do you know your a good rider anyway?
+1000000 check the eyes!
not judging your riding ability, but how do you really know how good you are??
avoiding the white lines is avoidable and also SOME of the cagers around you. i look at it like
a game of chess. you see most of the pieces in place and analyze your opponents next move.
then anticipate and stragetize your next move.
dozadj said:
I'm not the type to let one bad thing scare me but three????? Damn I would take that as a sign to stop riding
3rd time is the charm mang! i wouldnt stop riding all together, but i would
suggest taking it easy and less riding for awhile. maybe keep it to just
the weekends. thats how i do it. i been doing it for about 3 mo's now.
too many close calls for me is why i dont commute with the bike daily.
but if its your only transportation...then i understand.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I like the getting your eyes checked. Might need contacts. Take a riding course. On the track. They teach you how to "really" ride a motorcycle like the 600rr. It will instill more confidence than you can believe and give you a broader spectrum of a sport bike.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts