Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody ever have over 1k damages and insurance not total the bike?
i'm going to have to replace my front, tail, and left side plastics, along with the stator cover, lights and mirros (so far thats all i know of).

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
With our company it was if the total damage was more than 2/3's of the re-sale value, I believe...and when they say "total damage" it means...ANYTHING that was damaged gets replaced to stock...when the F4i went down the insurance company included a pin-size dent in the tank, and wanted to replace the entire tank cover

H

·
0 Posts
When i went down on my Daytona 600 i damaged the whole left side, upper lower, tail and front fariings....left mirror...the front end mounting bracket...engine cover...pegs....it was like $4000 in damage (repairs costs and parts)....they totaled the bike within minutes of seeing it....when you crash with a bike it does not take mush for the insurance companies to total it out...especially since everything costs so much to replace...

·
Registered
812 Posts
You can't replace a frame, that determins the VIN.

So if the frame is damaged, you have to get a new bike as far as I know.

Otherwise, if repairs are about what the bike is worth, they should total.

They will want to salvage the bike (take your wreck to sell), usually.

Within a year of purchase, you may get a brand new bike out of them.

·
Registered
212 Posts
A damaged frame DOES NOT always mean a total.
They determine it is totalled by the TOTAL of the estimate. With MOST companies, they have a determined % that if the repairs(parts and labor) crosses the % the value (replacement)- they will total it. A damaged frame USUALLY leads to a total because they cost so much, plus labor to swap a frame is very high. Everything is at full retail. Keep in mind sometimes the person doing the estimate won't write things that are nicked, thinking it doesn't need it. Even if they do, CERTAIN companies may not replace it. However, they are supposed to!

Sorry for the long reply, but this is speaking from experience at our shop. A kid had a 10 day old 636 dropped it lightly, frame SCRATCHED and plastic, swingarm pegs etc.... total for damage and repair $5000 but a new one is 7999 plus tax- they are replacing the frame and not totalling the bike!! He works with State Farm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts