Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) Palos Verdes - My favorite place to ride. A very wealthy area with tons of expensive looking houses. My favorite part, is the postcard-like view of Catalina island. Nice long, wide, windy turns.

2) Ortega Highway (Highway 74) - A fun, but dangerous place to ride. There are usually tons of bikers testing their skills on the weekend. There's a food joint (Lookout Roadhouse) that overlooks Lake Elsinore. It's where all the bikers take a break. Overall, very fun, but dangerous due to the narrow, 2 lane, twisty roads.

3) Palomar Mountain - I've never been there, but I plan on going soon. I heard it's the ultimate ride in S. Cali. I can't wait to go.

Southern California people, post your favorite places to ride! Finding new playgrounds is always nice...

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
We did 74 for our SoCal meet. That was fun. I did Palomar last weekend and that was a blast. I highly recomend that. Also highway Telegraph canyon to the 94 in sandiego all the way up through julian is also a great route.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I've done highway 74 once when we had to So Cal meet which was pretty fun. Palomar is pretty fun too. I preferred the tight side over the fast side. I'm heading out there again tomorrow. Telegraph is about 10 min away from me so I go through there all the time.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yesterday I went on a nice 300 mile ride. We did Ortega then Palomar. It was my first time riding Palomar and it was intense. We also rode out to a place called Borrego Springs yesterday. Highway S22 (I believe) also has some awesome twisties as well.

Here is a picture of us off of County Highway 2 San Felipe Road.

·
Registered
403 Posts
For fast sweepers, I usually ride Angeles Crest Hwy. From Sunland to Palmdale and back is my usual route. For the technical turns, I make my way out to Latigo, Stunt Rd, or Piuma.

Palomar is definately on my "to do" list.

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
I keep hearing about Palomar so once I buy a trailer I'm THERE! No more long rides for me unless its for a Socal Meet or something. Other than that I enjoy riding the 74 from Palm Desert where it starts to just past the Desert Mountain Center or whatever its called.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Angeles Crest Hwy I hear is ful of po po to =\ Why cant they just let us kill ourselfs in peace...

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
havoc, if you want to go sometime you can always stay at my house for a night or 2 and we can hit up palomar. I got plenty of room. It takes 45 minutes of freeway riding or about 2 hours in the twisties to get there.

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
Cool I might just take you up on that offer sometime. Once I graduate this class and see what my next class is like. It sounds like the next class is easy since it is geared to get phone techs up to speed. Us radio techs should have no problem. I hope. :|

·
Registered
638 Posts
I do most of my riding in the Santa Monica Mountrains.. So, here goes.. Topanga Canyon, from PCH to the 101.. Yeah there can be traffic at times, but once you break free (after passing a bunch of vehicles) you can usually get some free space to enjoy the long sweeping turns and great pavement. I used to do Mulholland, but now its a police trap.. Piuma offers some great turns, but after an inexperienced buddy of mine crashed and had to be airlifted to the hospital a few years ago,, we have avoided it. Another great and long ride are the back roads from Simi Valley to Ojai and on to Santa Barbara. I think is Hwy23..

Angeles Crest is great, but then again a police trap and wekends. Haven's done any of the OC, San Diego rides yet..

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
mabbott,
hey... im down for a telegraph/palomar ride... hit me up... i'll be down... been busy the past couple of weekends and next weekend but after that im free...so let me know...

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
those are sweet helmets... the arai and the suomy especially. :twisted:

Here is a picture of us off of County Highway 2 San Felipe Road.
[/quote]

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
CBR619RR said:
mabbott,
hey... im down for a telegraph/palomar ride... hit me up... i'll be down... been busy the past couple of weekends and next weekend but after that im free...so let me know...
As soon as i get my new front in the mail and get it put on i'll be up for it. Until then my bike is dead un the water. I also need to borrow a front stand to change a rotor and get off my front so that I can get my tires changed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Palomar is definitely fun (the tight side). The turns are pretty predictable so you can be pretty aggressive. They pretty much go from a tight left to a tight right to a tight left to a tight right, etc... The cool thing about it is that there's a guy up there who takes pictures of the riders (on weekends) dragging knee. He posts the pics on his website and if you're posted and you like the pic, you can buy the picture from him. His site is www.palomarpics.net. The bad thing is that it's a good hour from downtown San Diego which leaves me with my more frequent stomping grounds...

Otay (or Telegraph Canyon) is only 20 minutes away from downtown San Diego so it is very accessible. Just take 805 South, exit Telegraph Cyn. and go east until you hit the twisties. The fun starts once you see the lake on your right. Keep going through Barrett Junction and into the mountains. Much more variety than Palomar (tight side)...some tight turns, some chicanes, some very fast sweepers, etc... A lot of riders on weekends though and you have to pass the occasional cager but the scenery is great. I've never done it but there's a route that will take you through Otay, through Julian, and through Palomar in one shot. I'd be way too tired for that though.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Lee600RR, Where do you live. I live right off the 94 and hit telegraph almost every weekend. Usually with teh socalriders.com group that leaves from the mobil right before the twisties.

·
Registered
71 Posts
mabbottusmc,

I live in downtown by Seaport Village and the Hyatt. That Mobil is definitely the spot to top off the tank and grab some Gatorade, huh? I've probably seen your crew at that Mobil before. You guys are the ones that ride pretty deep (I'd say like 6-10 of you if I'm thinking of the same group). You definitely have some fast buddies there. I usually ride with about 4 other guys (mostly Gixxers and a Yammy). What time do you guys usually roll out?

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Usually 10am. Maybe 9:30. Some people like to sleep late but yeah that's us. I won't be riding for the next few weeks because I'm waiting on a tire in the mail but I can't wait to get back out there and ride.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Palomar...Palomar...Palomar! 9 miles and 59 turns....NO COPS....squids don't show unitl like 12 so get there early. I might go up Tuesday night...Tomorrow if any of the san dog crew wants to role! shoot me a PM and i'll try to hook up. i know the road quite well so if you want to learn it write me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts