Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gf wants to ride but is scared to death of the power of my 600. She wants the ninja 250 but id much rather see her on a baby blade(cbr 125). Anyone know where I can find one?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Nice bike, if a ninja 250 is too quick the NSR defo is......always been tempted by one of those or the late RGV250.

I would say that the 125 hasnt got enough power to get you out of trouble, sounds strange I know but you end up flat out on the 125 and thats not good practice for when your gf moves up. If I was making the decision I would go with the Ninja.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Keep in mind anything under 250cc is illegal to take on the freeway, which sounds all well and good until you realise that it probably can't reach freeway speeds. How many highways and fast streets are around you? Do you live on a hill? Important things to consider so your gf isn't flooring that little engine to get anywhere and being blown past by SUVs.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep in mind anything under 250cc is illegal to take on the freeway, which sounds all well and good until you realise that it probably can't reach freeway speeds. How many highways and fast streets are around you? Do you live on a hill? Important things to consider so your gf isn't flooring that little engine to get anywhere and being blown past by SUVs.

she was pissed when i took her on I80 and hit 75mph. she actually told me that if she never was on the highway on my bike again that would make her happy. let alone go by herself. i dont know what to think. shes paying for it, ultimately her decision.

·
Registered
428 Posts
yeah its tough telling my g/f 'no you cant start on a 600' when....I started on a 600. I mean ultimately you are right....its her $$$, but at least make her take the safety course before she gets one.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don't think they sell those here (probably emissions or unlikely sales). They're pretty much just glorified scooters, so you might as well get her one of those haha. They're for Asia and countries with tiered licensing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
she was afraid to be on the freeway at 75? and you think a 250 is too much? so what your saying is she cant handle a motorcycle and will wreck right away when you get her one?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
she was afraid to be on the freeway at 75? and you think a 250 is too much? so what your saying is she cant handle a motorcycle and will wreck right away when you get her one?
she rides dirt, on four wheels. I just think shes a little scared of the whole scenerio. my ex didnt give a rats ass how fast we went, she held on and kept her mouth shut. current gf is studying for the permit and then msf currently. she kinda scares me in that shes affraid of being with someone who can handle a bike on the highway yet wants to ride alone.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Are you saying they don't sell CBR125s in the states? Everytime I walk into a stealership here in Canada they have one or 2. If they don't sell them in the US there's probably some law against it, otherwise it's pretty easy to import a vehicle into your country.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I suppose you don't realize how fast 250 2 stokes are...go check out the GP times for 250 vs. 800

·
silent master
3,532 Posts
you can get the baby blades in Canada.

as for her starter bike, a buell bolt would be a great start, its not as fast or torquey as a 600 but its still fun to ride around and she can get to highway speeds on it. not thats shes gonna go into highway or anything, just something to have when you need it.

kawi 250 is thee starter bike but she would/might get bored with it fast, like anyone else that have bought it as a starter bike.

the bolt is a good medium.

does she go for looks or functionality?

·
Registered
123 Posts
In the May 2009 issue of Rider Magazine, they have an article on the Lake Erie Loop. Its an annual event for bikes under 200cc. The last one was won by a CBR125R from Canada. They said it is liquid cooled and fuel injected. Sounds like it goes good too!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
They said it is liquid cooled and fuel injected. Sounds like it goes good too!
It doesn't. I personally know 5 people who gave their hard earned cash to the dealer for this piece of crap. All of them were bored within 1 month of riding it. Its a good bike to learn basic skills on, but do not expect it to be fast.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
In the May 2009 issue of Rider Magazine, they have an article on the Lake Erie Loop. Its an annual event for bikes under 200cc. The last one was won by a CBR125R from Canada. They said it is liquid cooled and fuel injected. Sounds like it goes good too!
Ha, Uhm... I know 2 people with one and it's not exactly a performance demon, it's about half as fast/powerful as the Ninja 250. If I recall correctly, I don't think it can make 60mph... think it tops out somewhere around 90km/h which is like 52 - 55mph and that's redlining it in 6th or whatever the top gear is. So basically, you're stuck to city driving with that bike.

I can't figure out why honda doesn't make a 250cc bike... why would they just hand that market over to Kawasaki? I've been on my buddy's ninja and it's surprisingly quick (from what I expected it to be) and fun.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'm kind of stunned that Kawi still has a monopoly on the 250 class in the US.

Check out this UK link for the Yamaha YZF-R125. If they were to drop a 250cc motor in there, that would be MAJOR competition for the Ninja 250.

Also, tell me you wouldn't buy a CBR125RR if they put a 250cc engine in it.

Seriously. Ninja makes a good bike, but there needs to be some competition in the 250 class.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Even with the pretty pic above ^^ ..kawi still kills the CBR125 in the looks with the 250 ninja. You can put a 250 engine in the 125 but its still gonna look like a beefy bicycle..... :puke: ... holy could they make the stalks on the front signals any longer... :icon_lol:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts