Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The flight into Kingcove started in Anchorage on twin engin turbo prop into Cold Bay,Alaska.From there it was on singal engin Cesna into this squall seen below.It took 7 attempts and about 45 min to get through it.Every attemp,it would throw throw the plane back like hitting a brick wall.

The pic below is the reason I was there,we're building a school.The gap below the school is a creek under it.You can see thr fish swimming from inside the school.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some random pics from around the village.The first one is 2 signs,the bottom showing children at play and the top showings "watch for bears"

This is the man camp I'm staying at.

Me with Kingcove behind me.

The boat harbor from the TV show "The Deadliest Catch"

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
IVE SEEN THAT SHOW! thats cool. i wish i could get stationed in Alaska...

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few birds

The birds at the village dump........free food

My apprentice and the birds at the dump........agin they had free food.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spent the last week in Cold Bay to provide shore power for the $13,000,000 hover craft seen below.This boat is 1 of 2 in the world and will travel in 12' seas at 50 knots {it's the first one}

The boat was designed and bought in hopes that it would fail.It is going to be used for life safety,transporting people from King Cove to Cold Bay.A normal boat ride takes 2 hours on a calm day where as this hover craft did it in 19 min in 6' seas.So far,the craft has broken down 4 times.

The life safety issue comes into play because of the high winds in King Cove that seem to never stop,they can't land any planes,or fly at all for that matter,and when someones life is on the line,they need a way to get people out.

What they want to do is build a road all the way around but the wildlife and fishereies stoped that.

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
thats one bad ass boat but I don't think I would want to be on it in rough sea and it break down on me....I believe I would just sh!t all over myself!!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dr.Spank said:
thats one bad ass boat but I don't think I would want to be on it in rough sea and it break down on me....I believe I would just sh!t all over myself!!

They say it's a pretty smooth ride once it's moving but a disaster to land it and take off.The landing you see in the pics is to small and all of the work I'm doing will be taken out by the boat when they land it next time.

All of this was designed in England by some one that has never been to Alaska and wouldn't believe the locals on anything they told him,things like 35' tides witj large chunks of ice and 80 mph winds.

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
alaska cajun said:
The life safety issue comes into play because of the high winds in King Cove that seem to never stop,they can't land any planes,or fly at all for that matter,and when someones life is on the line,they need a way to get people out.
What they want to do is build a road all the way around but the wildlife and fishereies stoped that.
yeah ...the hell with peoples lives, just as long as the wildlife live, thats all that matters!!!

Those are the same people that wont let us drill for oil , aint they??

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dr.Spank said:
yeah ...the hell with peoples lives, just as long as the wildlife live, thats all that matters!!!

Those are the same people that wont let us drill for oil , aint they??

You said it

As you can see,nature has no problem living around people.I highly doubt that most of those that would try and stop all of this has ever been up here and have never been this close to a wild eagle,especially that many at one time.

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
in your original post you said it took a few tries to get in on the Cesna cause it would throw you back........ what do you mean by that?? are you refering to the winds around the cove being so strong that the plane couldn't make it through???

Sorry if I sound like a dumass but I know nothing about Alaska ......
All I know is that from the pictures that I have ever seen and people that I know that have gone there it looks like a Beatiful place.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dr.Spank said:
in your original post you said it took a few tries to get in on the Cesna cause it would throw you back........ what do you mean by that?? are you refering to the winds around the cove being so strong that the plane couldn't make it through???
Yes

It was like being on a roller coaster/bumper boat combo.

At one point the pilot said,you want to go back and wait it out,I said no with my purple face and he got a big grin on his face and went in agin.

·
C.A.H.N founder / President
11,188 Posts
Great pics. I want to visit Alaska one day. It looks beatiful.

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
alaska cajun said:
Yes

It was like being on a roller coaster/bumper boat combo.

At one point the pilot said,you want to go back and wait it out,I said no with my purple face and he got a big grin on his face and went in agin.

LMAO...your a brave man!!!!!! If that was me and I was in a Cesna gettin thrown around like that I would have sh!t all over myself!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would like to visit alaska someday.. Did you guys see that show about that guy who spent something like 30 years in a log cabin he built by hand? It was always being shown on the public stations. I think it was called Alone in the Wilderness or something like that. The guy chronicled his time there on video, pretty wild stuff. However I would need atleast a 24 hour market :)

Great pictures by the way, that is way cool stuff!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Those pics are very cool. Where can you go to see an eagle, let alone more than one, in one place? The surroundings are awsome but how cold is it there. Burrr.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
AJ
Glad to hear from you man , great pictures thanks for sharing
my hat is off to you bro for the great work you are doing for
the people in that tough to live place

Regardless of it being your job or not not evreybody would
accept such a mission take care and stay warm

BTW
I taped the Valencia race for u as promised pm me your address
and i will mail it out