Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I low sided months ago had everything repaired (fixed it myself) and than took it to a shop to have them look over everything. They didn't find anything wrong besides a couple of loose clamps but no leaks or anything. But I kept always finding that my overflow resoivor was going empty. So I dropped it off at the shop and they topped it off but didn't see anything wrong, after a week of picking it up from the shop it was bone dry again yesterday.... I dont see white smoke coming out the exhaust, nor do I smell coolant burning and the performance of the bike seems perfectly fine. I also checked the oil pan to see if it was milky and it's not. WTH!!! Anyone ever had an issue like this? I'm getting tired of having to put coolant in all the time.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Are you sure your radiator is full? I'd continue to check for leaks somewhere if you know the system is full.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure your radiator is full? I'd continue to check for leaks somewhere if you know the system is full.
I filled it up until it was overflowing out the top of the radiator. But I see what your saying if there is a leak somewhere of course the overflow bottle would go empty... Hm...

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
You need to burp your cooling system before filling up the reservoir.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to burp your cooling system before filling up the reservoir.
Blip the throttle right? That's what I normally do but having to add coolant once a week is starting to really :banghead: and I'm just getting tired of having do to this.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
you gotta let the thermostat open before putting the radiator cap back on... otherwise you aren't doing anything helpful to get rid of the trapped air

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
Before you fill the rest, check the level in the rad. Do this with the bike on the side stand. If you top up the rad then fill the overflow you should be good. Chances are you didn't burp the system completely on your first go.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Blip the throttle right? That's what I normally do but having to add coolant once a week is starting to really :banghead: and I'm just getting tired of having do to this.

Let the bike warm up a bit. Blip the throttle a bit and tap/squeeze on all the hoses until you see no more air coming out. Top it off again.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you gotta let the thermostat open before putting the radiator cap back on... otherwise you aren't doing anything helpful to get rid of the trapped air
Before you fill the rest, check the level in the rad. Do this with the bike on the side stand. If you top up the rad then fill the overflow you should be good. Chances are you didn't burp the system completely on your first go.
Okay I will give that a go, I believe the thermostat opens up at 170. So later today, I will get the bike warm, give it some blips and than keep filling it up until there are no bubbles and it's at the top. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: So that day I went home took the side fairing off and filled up the radiator and overflow. I blipped the throttle many of times watching bubbles come up and coolant go down. I continued to fill the radiator into it was hardly any bubbles. I went on a very spirited canyon run saturday and sunday. Checked the coolant and it seems not be pissing any. So I'm crossing my fingers!!!! However I had a weird issue today haha. On my way to work while cruising on the highway my bike stayed at 233* and this was in 6th gear at 7k rpm. That is hot to my normally riding temps. Normally I'm sitting at around 190 or even lower especially considering its much cooler in the mornings. And at that temp I can normally feel the heat on my legs and I felt nothing... Maybe my temp sensor is taking a ****? When I get home today I'm going to look at the levels of coolant again.... I'm paranoid lol

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I wouldn't bother checking your coolant again.

Test your water temp sensor. It's on the side of the thermostat. The service manual has the resistance values in it. I can't remember off the top of my head.

Worst case scenario, buy a new one. They're $20 new from bikebandit.com

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
Dude. Either you are losing coolant, which is easy to diagnose with no fairings on and the bike idling. Or you have failed exceptionally at burping your system

·
Registered
228 Posts
Dude. Either you are losing coolant, which is easy to diagnose with no fairings on and the bike idling. Or you have failed exceptionally at burping your system
This. I'd start with running the bike with all plastics off and check for leaks. Go get a pressure test kit and see if it holds up. In case you're unfamiliar, it's basically a rubber stopper you plug into the radiator fill neck and then you pump it up to put the system under pressure. If it holds then you're good. The high temps could mean there is air in the system too. Burp it again and make sure you're doing it correctly. There are how to write ups with pics all over the place. Google is your friend. Also make sure your radiator cap is holding pressure. A bad cap will cause temp issues.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
The other option is that your fluid is going into your exhaust through your cylinder head. Happens when you run your bike hot and blow your head gasket.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The other option is that your fluid is going into your exhaust through your cylinder head. Happens when you run your bike hot and blow your head gasket.
You would see quite a bit of white smoke as well, right? Considering he's losing it fairly quickly.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Not necessarily. All depends on what he's running. If it's just water, or a mix with water wetter it will come out as steam and may be close to colorless.

Also depends on how fast he's losing it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I know there are no leaks I have done just as you said ran the bike with no fairings. I took it to a shop they checked for leaks and found nothing. I blipped the throttle for close to 10 mins and pressed on the hoses like no tomorrow I highly dought there is air in the system.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Did you repair the coolant tank/radiator at all or was it damaged in the lowside? Any chance that system is not hooked up right? The lower hose of the overflow tank should go up to a connection the neck of the radiator just under the cap and the upper hose should drain to the ground under the left side of the bike.

How long had you owned the bike before the crash? Just wondering if it's a problem that always existed you just never np knew about.

Anything else you can give us for info? What was all damaged and repaired in the crash? How's your oil level look/smell? Did you replace the water pump/clutch cover in the repair?

Mike

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you repair the coolant tank/radiator at all or was it damaged in the lowside? Any chance that system is not hooked up right? The lower hose of the overflow tank should go up to a connection the neck of the radiator just under the cap and the upper hose should drain to the ground under the left side of the bike.

How long had you owned the bike before the crash? Just wondering if it's a problem that always existed you just never np knew about.

Anything else you can give us for info? What was all damaged and repaired in the crash? How's your oil level look/smell? Did you replace the water pump/clutch cover in the repair?

Mike
When I low sided I replaced the coolant tank because it had a slight crack in it and was leaking. It's a slight possibility the hoses could be swapped on the overflow tank. I owned the bike 9 months prior to the crash i had a slight leak from the radiator and I replaced it. During the crash it was all on the left side of the bike and almost all cosmetic. I replaced all the fairings, headlights and the hardline from the radiator to the thermostat it was slightly bent. I did not replace the water pump/clutch in the repair. My thing if it was leaking it would be very obvious as it would be getting over my bike and tires if I was riding. I'm going to drop it off at the shop soon and see what they say.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts