Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am on the quest looking for a 1000rr. I have decided that my 600rr will become my track bike and the 1000rr for the street.

Now, I love the look of the newer fairing setup (2008-present).

Which of these years do I want to steer away from? Was it the 2012 that burned the oil like crazy? Yes, I am about to search, but I wanted you all's opinions since this is my Honda Home, here...

·
Registered
803 Posts
I've also been searching for a 1000RR myself. I'd get the newest / latest one you can. After some research, the oil consumption may be a part of the design of the bike, and I hear that it was at its worst in '08 and all the way up to '12 models - although I also hear that even select '15s may have it as well. On 1000RR.net, owners say that when you start riding the bike harder and taking it up to higher RPM's, then you will start to see the oil level drop. It seems to be the nature of the bike, so you may have to get in the habit of keeping a constant watch to be on the safe side - and then top off as needed.

With this said, as much as I'm tempted to add a 1k, I love my 600 like crazy, and I have doubts that I would enjoy the 1k anywhere near as much, since it feels more like a grand tourer in comparison - like you said, maybe good to DD and on the highway, etc.

Fyi, you can currently pick up a new '15 base for between $9,500 and $10k before taxes and fees - if you shop it right. Honda has good bonus bucks to apply ($1,500) - and then the dealer has the option to apply their specific "flex bucks" . You're looking at close to $4k, or more off.

Another fyi - the '14 and '15 SP models had a recall to repair the rear Ohlin shocks due to some defect or safety correction. I was so close to closing a very sweet deal on a new leftover, but I called it off once I discovered the specific recall.

All the best.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,767 Posts
Another fyi - the '14 and '15 SP models had a recall to repair the rear Ohlin shocks due to some defect or safety correction. I was so close to closing a very sweet deal on a new leftover, but I called it off once I discovered the specific recall.

All the best.

why would you call it off for a defect that is repaired for free by the manufacturer?

i'd call it off for oil burning that the manufacturer refuses to deal with, not for a problem that ohlins fixes pro bono.

seems like a strange motivator

·
Registered
803 Posts
why would you call it off for a defect that is repaired for free by the manufacturer?

i'd call it off for oil burning that the manufacturer refuses to deal with, not for a problem that ohlins fixes pro bono.

seems like a strange motivator
"Free" doesn't carry much value or merit for me. I doubt the part goes directly back to Ohlin for repair - I think it goes back to a 3rd party shop of their choosing for a quick and cost-effective fix or adjustment for it, hence labeled "repair" - not replacement. Even if Ohlin is handling it personally, I don't like the word "repair" when it's affiliated with a brand new bike, and on a bike which is crafted with such precision as an SP.

The oil burning is more due to the nature, character, and design of the bike. As long as you're willing to accept, monitor, and maintain the oil level regularly - especially with the harder you ride it... It seems a bit more tolerable. I believe it was much worse on the earlier model years, such as the '08s - as @TheX has mentioned.

Doesn't seem so strange to me. To others? Perhaps.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,767 Posts
it goes to an authorized ohlins service center.

and literally, the recall is to loctite and torque the damper rod nut that MAY be loose but probably isn't.

if that's your attitude about recalls, it's amazing you've found the courage to purchase anything at all

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Hey X , how did you break in your 08?

I have a (beer driven) theory that oil burning is related to break in?????

Any 1000 rr owners please chime in on this?

·
Registered
803 Posts
it goes to an authorized ohlins service center.

and literally, the recall is to loctite and torque the damper rod nut that MAY be loose but probably isn't.

if that's your attitude about recalls, it's amazing you've found the courage to purchase anything at all
Thanks for the clarification.

Looks like it's my loss if it's my attitude, right? One less thing for you to worry about, brother.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
There's recalls and there's recalls.

Ohlins shock recall? Not part of the bike proper - just a drop in part. Contained to that part only, not a result of Honda's QA. Minor.

Yamaha's R1 engine internals problem? Different animal - internals of the engine itself, under Yamaha's design and overwatch. Would have to be assured that repairs were satisfactory. Major.

·
Registered
803 Posts
There's recalls and there's recalls.

Ohlins shock recall? Not part of the bike proper - just a drop in part. Contained to that part only, not a result of Honda's QA. Minor.

Yamaha's R1 engine internals problem? Different animal - internals of the engine itself, under Yamaha's design and overwatch. Would have to be assured that repairs were satisfactory. Major.
Good point and perspective.

Not that it matters, but I'd rather pick up a base version where it's on Honda and where I'm at their mercy, alone.

* Edit - I set myself up for this one... I understand that every part isn't going to be from Honda since they contract with other manufacturers on their brakes, forks, etc... And that every part is subject to the possibility of a recall. It's something that I need to understand and take in, regardless - @wibbly .

·
Registered
14,362 Posts
Hey X , how did you break in your 08?

I have a (beer driven) theory that oil burning is related to break in?????

Any 1000 rr owners please chime in on this?
The problem is the oil control ring. Has nothing to do with break in. Honda acknowledged this ring was the issue, yet didn't cover any out of warranty...and some that were.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have heard of 08s broken in easy and hard and both burned oil. I have a 2012 1000rr along with my 600rr. I would go 12 and up as the prices are more reasonable now and they come with awesome rims... Unless you get an SP, the only thing noticeably different is the paint scheme.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

I knew you "encyclopedias of the Honda" would show up...nice inputs from everyone...I knew the oil issue was there on a few years of the 1000RR, but wasn't sure which ones. I guess the only thing to monitor is your oil consumption? No "fix" for this?

X...what happened with your 1000? I never saw your story...

I guess I should have said 2012+ because I want the cool wheels and that fairing setup. They do seem to be reasonably priced as well...hell, I found a 2013 for $9000 that was brand new. Seems to be a decent deal...

I will probably wait until the Fall/Winter to buy to see what I can finagle. I have ridden and R1 and a 2006 CBR1000RR (which I kind of want too), but I haven't ridden one of the newer 1000RR's yet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I knew you "encyclopedias of the Honda" would show up...nice inputs from everyone...I knew the oil issue was there on a few years of the 1000RR, but wasn't sure which ones. I guess the only thing to monitor is your oil consumption? No "fix" for this?

X...what happened with your 1000? I never saw your story...

I guess I should have said 2012+ because I want the cool wheels and that fairing setup. They do seem to be reasonably priced as well...hell, I found a 2013 for $9000 that was brand new. Seems to be a decent deal...

I will probably wait until the Fall/Winter to buy to see what I can finagle. I have ridden and R1 and a 2006 CBR1000RR (which I kind of want too), but I haven't ridden one of the newer 1000RR's yet.

Just monitor oil on the 12+. Mine doesnt burn but ive heard of a few that have... Although i question that...Best time would be February or march to buy, and have a back up bike that is well priced and reasonably close so that you can tell the dealer you will go get that one instead of buying theirs if they cant work on the price... Worked for me...

Oh, and any cbr 1000 model 08+ sucks to remove the side fairings... You've been warned, lol. Although 12+ you can change oil without removing any...

·
Beer: does the body good
682 Posts
I have a 10 w/abs. No issues with oils burning and it has 21000km on it so far.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Check out 1000rr.net loads of information on there.

Look up the 08-09 crank whine issues, if that is the years which you are looking at, so you know what to listen to before you purchase one.

·
Registered
422 Posts

All the best.
Oh man this statement pained my heart lol. A 14 HRC schemed SP is like my dream Honda. The thought of you backing out on a deal on one over something like that just kills me :frown2:Now that some other members have explained exactly what that recall was, I hope you're still in a position to own one. I know I wish I was in a position to own one.

·
BOTM Winner Jan 2015
1,960 Posts
Oh man this statement pained my heart lol. A 14 HRC schemed SP is like my dream Honda. The thought of you backing out on a deal on one over something like that just kills me :frown2:Now that some other members have explained exactly what that recall was, I hope you're still in a position to own one. I know I wish I was in a position to own one.

From what I've read he still stands by backing out of the sale over the recall. I would have jumped on that deal, as its a dream bike for me as well and the recall was very insignificant. To each their own I presume.

·
Registered
803 Posts
From what I've read he still stands by backing out of the sale over the recall. I would have jumped on that deal, as its a dream bike for me as well and the recall was very insignificant. To each their own I presume.

I guess if I wanted it bad enough, I would have made it happen. Maybe I'll try to stay content with the 600 on hand since I've already taken the plunge into it and with only 10 months in.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I guess if I wanted it bad enough, I would have made it happen. Maybe I'll try to stay content with the 600 on hand since I've already taken the plunge into it and with only 10 months in.
Not a bad call. Couple of years on a 600 and some time for Honda to work out the kinks in the new fire blade never hurt anyone. I'm ultra picky with new purchases as well. Took me a year to buy a Z because of how ridiculous I am.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts