Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any really better than another? I have my first track day in two weekends at Barber and want to keep the tires warm between sessions since it'll be so cold outside.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no doubt the most expensive option is of great quality, but is there any downside to running a $150 set and just turning them on 10 minutes (or however long it takes them to warm) before each session? I have a IR temp gauge.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Honestly you don't need tire warmers for your first track day. You'll have plenty to think about without having to mess with warmers before and after every session. Take it easy on the first lap or two and you'll be fine. You don;t need warmers until you're the fastest guy in itermediate, and thinking about going to expert. Then it's time for race tires, warmers, etc. It's a damned expensive hobby. No need to make it worse right off the bat.

If you decide to get them, the warmers need to be on for an hour before you ride.

Have fun. It's addicting.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Honestly you don't need tire warmers for your first track day. You'll have plenty to think about without having to mess with warmers before and after every session. Take it easy on the first lap or two and you'll be fine. You don;t need warmers until you're the fastest guy in itermediate, and thinking about going to expert. Then it's time for race tires, warmers, etc. It's a damned expensive hobby. No need to make it worse right off the bat.

If you decide to get them, the warmers need to be on for an hour before you ride.

Have fun. It's addicting.
^^ Spot on, and cheap warmers are nothing but that: cheap and will give you far more of a false sense of security than actually help. If you are going to buy then get dual temp quality brands or you'll be quite disappointed in the end.

All warmers do is allow you to go at a more brisk pace right off the bat, rather than having to keep it in check for a lap or two until you build up heat in the tires. For a first track day you'll be taking it easy anyway, so why add that pressure to an already overwhelming day?

Why people are so hell bent on spending needless money on an already pricey hobby blows me away, been track riding 15 years now and never felt the need for warmers......

Mike

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^ Spot on, and cheap warmers are nothing but that: cheap and will give you far more of a false sense of security than actually help. If you are going to buy then get dual temp quality brands or you'll be quite disappointed in the end.

All warmers do is allow you to go at a more brisk pace right off the bat, rather than having to keep it in check for a lap or two until you build up heat in the tires. For a first track day you'll be taking it easy anyway, so why add that pressure to an already overwhelming day?

Why people are so hell bent on spending needless money on an already pricey hobby blows me away, been track riding 15 years now and never felt the need for warmers......

Mike
Au contraire. I started this thread hoping people would talk me out of tire warmers. Exactly what happened. Thanks guys. :banger:

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I don't know if it's "needless." 20 minute sessions, on average about 10 laps per session since my favourite track is long and technical a fast rider gets around it in about 2 minutes. If you spend a lap or two getting your tires up to temp. You're essentially wasting 10-20% of your track day just getting your tires warm.

There's something nice about taking your warmers off and going balls out on the first corner.

That being said, if it is your first track day, then warmers should not be a priority. I had warmers in my first season and I didn't even bother using them until my second year. There's just so much to soak in that warmers will be the last thing on your mind.

Good luck!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Agreed that there is no need until you're really fast or racing. My Q3 heat up in less than one lap going fast intermediate or slow advanced pace.

·
BOTM Winner 07/16
880 Posts
Hard acceleration and hard braking flex the carcass and in turn generate heat.

Swerving left to right does little to generate heat into the tyre.

If you're on a road/semi road (e.g. Dunlop Q3, Michelin Power Supersport) a couple of hard acceleration and braking should be sufficient to put enough heat on the tyres. Very handy if your track as a long straight and plenty of braking space at the end.

The 1/2 laps thing is a guideline. So if the weather is cooler it will take longer to heat up.

If you're on race tyres/ slicks (even the threaded ones like Pirelli SC compound, Michelin Power Cup, etc) they will take longer to heat up.

And when they are cold, they are horrible as in it feels like riding on oil.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Lots of good info in here. Take time to absorb and enjoy your first visit out. Welcome to the track scene.

I have had good experience with Suzuka as well for over two years...and that's a "cheaper" brand according to some people.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Moto-D has excellent warmers. Great Quality, Price, Warranty.

Even with warmers: you need to give yourself time to warm up/stretch/mind-right as well as your suspension oil.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts