Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. So some helpful members on here already helped steer me away from buying a slightly worn/abused 07 600RR, so I figured I'd ask for some help/recommendations again.

I've got my heart set on a white/black 07 600RR, and I've found three different bikes on Craigslist that fit the bill (within ~3 hrs from my location at least).

One has 1400 miles and is completely stock, asking $6200. The clutch cover has a tiny bit of rash. (see here)

One has 2400 miles and is likewise completely stock, asking $6000. No damage (pics here)

The third has 3500 miles, has a Puig smoke screen, Shogun bar/frame/swingarm sliders, and flushmount turn signals, asking $6000.
Both the clutch and alternator covers have a tiny bit of rash, the ends of the mirrors are scratched, and the clutch lever is bent. Pics are here.

I'm having a hell of a time choosing which one to go look at (their distances from me making it unrealistic to look at more than one in person), let alone what a fair price would be. I feel like the light damage on the third would give me more bargaining power (none of the damage is a big deal - clutch lever can be fixed, covers can be powdercoated for cheap, and oh well about the mirrors/possibly could be sanded/painted). The damage was from a previous owner (both of the others are single-owner bikes). The flush mounts and sliders are things I would want to add immediately to the other two, so that saves me some money. Of course, his advertised price was originally $6500, though I quickly convinced him that was far too high of an asking price (and he agreed).

Any suggestions on what sounds like the better option, or what a fair offer would be? I'm paying in cash, FWIW.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
i would say if you could get the third for like 5500 go for it

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hm. Just emailed the third guy to get some more info, and push him a bit on the price. He says he can't take less than 6 for it. While that may not be true if I show up with cash in hand, it makes the rash-free one all the more appealing given that it would probably be about the same price (no flush mounts would offset needing to get the covers repaired, and I probably wouldn't get shoguns anyway if I were the one buying...). Going to call him up and see how firm he is on the price.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Cool....although i'd reccomend the first upgrade be sliders. I've lost count the amount of money i've saved because of them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He said that he's "pretty firm" on the price, over the phone. I wonder if he'd give it to me if I showed up with $5800 in cash. Think that's a fair offer? I don't want to piss him off, but I don't personally feel like 3.3% under his asking price is a lowball.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think you found three nice bikes with little to fix. whichever one you get your going to be happy. My salvaged title track bike I paid 4k shipped. I should have had you hunting for me. No matter what everything will have a little something. Good luck

·
Registered
221 Posts
He said that he's "pretty firm" on the price, over the phone. I wonder if he'd give it to me if I showed up with $5800 in cash. Think that's a fair offer? I don't want to piss him off, but I don't personally feel like 3.3% under his asking price is a lowball.

Rule #1
NEVER EVER EVER TALK ABOUT PRICE BEFORE GOING TO SEE THE BIKE
You agree on a price before seeing the bike? Why, then you go there and see the pics are better then the actual condition, then you have agreed on the price and he has an upperhand

That is the dumbest thing in the entire world, please tell me you are not one of those guys that says "Whats the lowest you will go?"

Because who in their right mind would honestly answer with their lowest price

When I go to sell a car, I say to myself the price I will be happy with is say for easy numbers 10,000. So I post it for 10,500. They say Ill give you 10,000, i say meet in middle 10,250, so this way they think they are saving 250 or hell even if they got me to 10,000 they think they got a steal by knocking 500 off, when in reality my low was 9,7 so im still happy. Remember this when going to buy one.

Example

Bike is for sale for 6500

Show up, pic out as many flaws as you can, i.e. tire needs to be replaced, crack fairing here needs to be replaced, etc. Then be like thats about $600 so Ill give you 5900 and he says 62. thats the easiest way to talk someone down, pick out as much as you can

\

But I like the 2nd

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not new to the game. I know how to work these things, I'm just not quite familiar enough with CBR prices to know what's "fair", hence why I'm asking here.

I never agreed nor would agree to a price over the phone. I simply prodded the guy to try and get a sense of how difficult it would be to bargain on the price in person. If someone is very terse and blunt about being firm on the price, they're probably not going to be any softer in person. If they waffle, you can work them.

The reason I need to do some probing in advance is because no two of these bikes are in the same area, and they're all over 2 hours away from me (with the closest between them being a little over an hour apart from each other), so I don't have the luxury of hopping all around the east coast and bargaining in person with each seller before buying.

Thanks for the advice though. I'll hopefully be going to check the 2nd one out in person on Wednesday or Thursday.

..as to my previous proposition, do you think I should offer lower, then? This will all be in person, mind you, with the wad of cash in hand to back it up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would offer a lower price. If you go check out the 2nd one and you like it, just act semi-interested...Then tell him you'll give him $5500 right now. He'll probably come back with a counter offer, but, you'll atleast be getting something off.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Rule #1
NEVER EVER EVER TALK ABOUT PRICE BEFORE GOING TO SEE THE BIKE
You agree on a price before seeing the bike? Why, then you go there and see the pics are better then the actual condition, then you have agreed on the price and he has an upperhand

That is the dumbest thing in the entire world, please tell me you are not one of those guys that says "Whats the lowest you will go?"

Because who in their right mind would honestly answer with their lowest price

When I go to sell a car, I say to myself the price I will be happy with is say for easy numbers 10,000. So I post it for 10,500. They say Ill give you 10,000, i say meet in middle 10,250, so this way they think they are saving 250 or hell even if they got me to 10,000 they think they got a steal by knocking 500 off, when in reality my low was 9,7 so im still happy. Remember this when going to buy one.

Example

Bike is for sale for 6500

Show up, pic out as many flaws as you can, i.e. tire needs to be replaced, crack fairing here needs to be replaced, etc. Then be like thats about $600 so Ill give you 5900 and he says 62. thats the easiest way to talk someone down, pick out as much as you can

\

But I like the 2nd
Actually, I did do just what you said and am one of those guys who ask for the best price. I bought my '07 5 months ago with 1200 miles for $5500 in mint condition. I bought it from a dealer that was 2 hrs away and had them fax a price in writing before I drove half a day to pick up/bring back a bike.
The dealership's asking price was $7500. I asked for the lowest price and then offered $500 less and that's how I ended up at $5500. If you are driving a distance, it is best to find out how flexible the seller is before making the drive. You can always retract your offer due to flaws that you find with the bike.

BTW - go with the second bike. I bought a bike (not my 600rr) with minor rash like the ones pictures and it ended up having bent rotors and a bent handlebar that I didn't notice at the time. Go with the one that you can verify doesn't have any hidden damage.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well ****. That's just my kinda luck. Took out an insurance policy with State Farm on the second bike yesterday, so I could drive down and (hopefully) buy it today. I had some **** come up that I had to deal with, which put me behind schedule. Called the guy around 4 to say I was heading down - he said he had a guy coming in 20 minutes to look at the bike (I'm almost 3 hours away). Turns out the guy showed up and dropped cash for the bike ($6k). The seller tried to convince the guy to wait until tomorrow at noon (so I would have a chance to see it), but no dice. FML.

Guess I'll see if the one with only 1400 miles is still for sale...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Tell him to knock another $250 off for your lunch and gas money and some $$$ to pay your friend for taking you to see the bike.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts