Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I really want to do this and I have the throttle tube. I have read about all the hassle it can be to get the air box off and I guess this is my main concern as I have no idea how to get the damn thing out. I attempted to pull it once when I was changing my spark plugs, but I just decided to drop the radiator and did it that way. Is there any other way to reach the throttle bodies besides pulling the air box?

Also, I know about the throttle housing needing to be dremeled out. Would it be possible to just buy an R6 throttle tube housing and use it?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have done this mod. It is not hard to access the throttle bodies, but the throttle bodies removal can be a little more tedious. Removing the throttle bodies is not a requirement, but makes it much easier to access the throttle cable since Honda decided to put it on the bottom. Some people have been able to get the R6 tube in without accessing the throttle bodies to adjust the cable, but it's an extremely tight fit with no slack. Here's an easy how to on removing the throttle bodies: https://www.600rr.net/vb/104-07-013-rr/290479-how-throttle-bodies-removal-07-08-a.html

While an R6 housing may fit the handle bar since it's the same diameter, you will have other issues with fit regarding the starter housing and throttle cables. Dremeling the stock CBR housing is the easiest/cheapest way to go and works fine.

However, with all that said, I'd still recommending buying an actual variable throttle kit. You can get the motion pro rev2 kit for $150. I have the old version on my bike and it works great, supposedly the new version is greatly improved. I've heard the Euro Racing kit is one of the best quality wise. The kits come with multiple size cams, as well as cables specifically

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the input BM!

I figure I will try to get the tube on first without accessing the throttle bodies and see if I have enough slack to make it work “comfortably.”

How did you go about doing yours? Did you remove the air box to get to the cables?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
How did you go about doing yours? Did you remove the air box to get to the cables?

Man, it's been a looooong time; I remember getting the R6 tube on without pulling anything off, but it was not a pleasant experience since the fit was so tight. I also ended up shaving off a little bit of the cam on the pull side just to get it on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just recently performed this mod on my 08 RR. If your throttle cables have ever been adjusted at the throttle body, then you will have to pull the airbox in order to completely loosen the cables at the throttle body as well as on The handlebar end. The air box is not all that difficult to remove, but if you have never done it before a few of the fasteners can be a little difficult to find. On my 08, I had to remove the airbox in 3 separate pieces. You have the air filter access on the top of the airbox which has, I think, 6 screws. Then there is the top half of the air box which has 8 or 10 screws, and lastly the bottom half of the airbox. the bottom half of the airbox has screws inside the airbox near the velocity stacks. I had to take my velocity stacks out before I could access all the screws for the bottom half of the airbox. I don't know how your air box is designed, but I imagine it will be fairly similar to mine if it's a 600RR. The hardest part is actually getting to the airbox. For ease of access, I removed not only the fuel tank shroud, but the fuel tank itself as well instead of just propping it up. you don't have to unplug the ECU, but you will have to unplug your upper injectors, figuring out how this all goes back together is fairly easy so don't worry about having to take extensive notes or anything. So, to sum it up, tank shroud followed by fuel tank, unscrew retainer for ECU and unplug upper injector plugs, then just start finding all the screws for the upper half of the air box. This mod took me roughly an hour and a half, and most of that was being very tedious with the Dremel on my throttle housing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also, on a few of the different posts on this forum about this particular modification, I noted that some people took a bit out of the throttle tube in order to make installing the throttle cables easier, but if you loosen the cables all the way at the throttle body and at the throttle tube end, then the cables will pretty much be the exact length needed to have the spec throttle FreePlay after you have everything back together and installed. It was a bit tight for me when I was installing my R6 throttle tube, but I did not find it overly difficult and I did not have to remove any material from the throttle tube itself.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you both for giving your input. I really appreciate it.

My bike is a 2007, Chak, so yes mine is exactly like yours. It seems simple enough. The air box was the most intimidating part when I attempted to remove it to change my spark plugs. I kept looking for screws on the outside/side of the air box. However, I do remember I did not remove the velocity stacks because I thought they would come out with the entire air box once I found those “side screws”...I guess should have removed them...might have been triumphant...

Thanks for the details Chak.

I’m going to try to knock this out this week.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
would a small shim in the throttle cam at the grip be easier?

I've done such work on smaller cc bikes to make the throttle more progressive......

·
Registered
45 Posts
yup, just did it a couple weeks ago. in the moment was i really frustrated with getting down to the throttle bodies, yes lol. expect a lot of hoses to get through. but now that ive been riding with the new tube.... gotta say it is quite the difference. i did it because i hurt my wrist recently and didnt like having to hold the throttle at a high angle on the freeway, now i barely have to hold it twisted to maintain like 70-80mph

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If anyone has any tips as to how to put the rubber intake boots back into the lower air box, I would really appreciate it.

This is the WORST part of this mod

·
Registered
45 Posts
If anyone has any tips as to how to put the rubber intake boots back into the lower air box, I would really appreciate it.

This is the WORST part of this mod
i think i used a flathead screwdriver to push/pull it back into place. but if youre talking about the thing thick rubber piece that attaches to the frame and then creeps into the lower airbox then yeah, you def gotta like play with it to squeeze it into the airbox, eventually itll sit into place. if you have a pic of where exactly youre stuck, upload thta too

·
Registered
45 Posts
The throttle cables go in between the air box and the rubber boot, correct?
its hard for me to tell exactly cause that pic is super small, but... i dont remember feeding my cable into the lower part of the airbox. mind you, all i had to do was make an adjustment at that cable, not replace it. But i was only able to view/access that throttle cable once i fully had the airbox removed. i recorded a bit from when i did this job but more-so explaining steps in putting things back on like right after i got that rubber boot attached. ill link it here in a sec. also that "rubber boot" i had attached to the frame BEFORE putting the airbox in. its the only way id say, without having to fight it more than you already have to. i tried to explain some things the best i could, but some steps i obviously left out cause i started recording this a little later than i should've.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you click on the picture it comes up larger...

So...I’ll take the “Moron of the Week” award for the forum. That rubber boot (ram-air boot) that goes onto the bottom of the air box attaches on the outside, not the inside as I thought it did. It sure helps to look at things closely before you take them apart to see how they go back together. Took me 20 seconds to get it back on.

Also, anyone ever taking your air box completely off, be sure to plug the MAP sensor hose back on. It is on the very bottom of the air box...the clip you unplug tells you where it is. I put my entire back together and got an F1 code and had to take my bike apart to plug it in.

Also, the throttle cables do go in between the air box and the ram air boot. You cannot put them behind the rubber boot.

All in all, this mod isn’t difficult to do. I can’t wait to ride it. The throttle response to full throttle is going to make this thing feel like a new bike...I assume.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts