Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to do a rattle can paint job on my track bike. It has a set of aftermarket armor bodies track fairings on it.

Has anyone else done this? Has anyone been able to get a high gloss finish on the paint? Should I stick with a matt color?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I repainted my old ninja with VHT Epoxy paint. I used their semi gloss black. Great adhesion after sanding and cleaning with alcohol before painting. They do have a gloss paint but will generally require more coats and lighter coats and will be more susceptible to runs.

I had excellent results though and I cleaned and painted everything : metal, plastic, exhaust. The paint is gas and oil resistant and heat resistant up to 500 degrees IIRC.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just my opinion - if you want a paintjob that's going to both last, and look good, you really want to be using 2k paints, and using proper body fillers and primers. You can get 2k paints in rattle cans if you can't use a HVLP sprayer for some reason. Ideally you would prep the fiberglass surface to take primer, prime, fill, sand, prime, scuff, paint, sand, paint, scuff, clear, clear, clear, clear, sand.

It's tedious. But you get far longer lasting results, and results that look much better, than you can with e.g. Krylon.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Painted a BMX when I was 13, if that counts.
White!
It was a PK Ripper with Black skyway tuffs. 😎

1 - 5 of 5 Posts