Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Who has had their Battery Crap out on them.?

3K views 62 replies 38 participants last post by  HardRacing 
#1 ·

Our personal experience with Bikes over the past 20 years has been .... while all the high technology seem to be going into the bikes... They seem to be coming with crappier and crappier batteries.

- Cannot hold charge for more then a month or Two without use.
- If you leave your lights on for more then 20 min the battery is dead. :cursin:
- And no matter how you take care of it, they crap out after 2-3 years.?

Anyone else have some comments of Experiences..?

Just trying to get some Feedback from you guys.

#2 ·
Happened to me a few times luckily I was 5 mins away from my friends house, but the push took 20 mins... *sigh

lol

I think we have a few posts as to why this happened, i searched it last week when it happend to me..

#3 ·
i had my Yuasa YTZ10S crap out right after i first got my bike. had to bump start it in a grocery store parking lot lol. not fun!

#5 ·
had some issues on my old SV but nothin yet on the RR (knock on wood) if it does take a crapper im def. going with BB's Motydesign 4 cell pack

#9 ·
I guess I'm lucky(knock on wood) have my bike since June of 07 and not one problem with the battery. Longest it sits for was a week, Ride when there's no rain and Not much when your in Cali.

#10 ·
Yes, I remember I was riding all day and decided to pass my friends house and visit him. We talked for like 10-15 minutes and then I tried to start my bike back up, it didn't... I had to bump start it but unfortunately I couldn't get enough speed to turn over the engine. Plus it doesn't help when your on a flat ground while the rode comes to a peak in the middle. Luckily I asked for jumper cables and my other buddy came over and I jumped it.

#11 ·
mine wont last if it sits for over a month without riding, and its '08, kinds dissapointing since I have an '04 honda rancher atv and I just had to replace the battery in it this past winter (and my atv stays up for sometimes months at a time)

#13 ·
When I first got my bike, I would turn it on just to hear it and see the highbeams - that died shortly after. After getting a new one along with a Battery Tender, I've never had that problem...

Maybe you guys never charge it?

#14 ·
Slaps, maybe us Cali guys ride more a year then have it sit through winter.

#21 ·
ive got an 03 and im just replacing my battery now... i did alot of push starting last season. i think im gonna pick up one of those motydesign 4 cells

#22 ·
Bought an 07 in November and it did this to me the first week with the lights on for about 5min when I stopped at a buddies house. Was on hill so easy bump start, but went to start it the other day and same thing :( been sitting since December though. Might have to look into a new battery like some of the other posts said

#24 ·
2008 here. Just found out today that my OEM battery has died. Just ordered at MOTY 4 cell battery from Browning.

I live on top of a long hill (maybe 1/4 mile long) and tried bump starting it down the hill.... didn't work. Had to push it back up. Took about 30 minutes to push it back up.
Rested for about an hour then tried again....the bike tipped over in the process. Went inside and ordered MOTY battery.

Last time I started the bike was my last track day in....Sept or Oct 2009. Since then it has been sitting in my cold garage in the cold North East connected to the bike. It's no wonder why it died. I should have disconnected it and brought it inside months ago. Lesson learned the hard way.

#25 ·
2008 here. Just found out today that my OEM battery has died. Just ordered at MOTY 4 cell battery from Browning.

I live on top of a long hill (maybe 1/4 mile long) and tried bump starting it down the hill.... didn't work. Had to push it back up. Took about 30 minutes to push it back up.
Rested for about an hour then tried again....the bike tipped over in the process. Went inside and ordered MOTY battery.

Last time I started the bike was my last track day in....Sept or Oct 2009. Since then it has been sitting in my cold garage in the cold North East connected to the bike. It's no wonder why it died. I should have disconnected it and brought it inside months ago. Lesson learned the hard way.

OOooh. That sucks. Sorry the bike fell over to. :cursin:

#27 ·
i still used my oem YTZ10 battery until late last year, i knew the battery was conking out as i was frequently bump starting my bike which is embarrassing to say the least so i got $20 YTX7 battery off my shop & it's running great for more than a year now.

i just think these new batteries isn't designed to last more than 2yrs now, designed obsolescence so the factories could make a killing on their overpriced, crappy batteries.

i already got my money's worth with my $20 battery, even if i have to replace it every year i can still afford it.

#30 ·
2002 F4i - battery lasted to 2008 (over 39000 miles). Not started for months during Indiana winters.
2005 RR - battery lasted til sold in 2009 (over 15000 miles).

Now crap out as in not start? Only the F4i and that was on a deserted section of Florida highway at 4am looking for $800 (using the bikes headlights) that flew out of a chick's unzipped backpack (long story). Push start and everything was fine, of course that bike liked me!

#31 ·
My bike hadn't been started for 154 days. I didn't charge the battery and it started right up. I did the same thing with the Ninja 500 I had previously, too. Sat for months and months and didn't need a charge.

Of course now that I've said that, I've probably jinxed myself.

#32 ·
I bought a leftover 08 in February of 09. The battery died on me at the end of the season last year, I kept having to jump start it to go anywhere, and the battery would not keep a charge, even with a tender on it.

At the beginning of this season, I replaced it with a new battery from the dealer, Yuasa YZ10, or whatever they're called, the stock one. For what I paid for that one, though, I could have gotten one of the fancy new lightweight ones from BrowningBuck, Speedcell, or E-Batt. :(

#34 ·
happening noe, its pissing me off, my bile wasnt used for the winter and now need to push start it (looking like an idiot on in the neighborhood) at this point it is starting up once it completely cools down but if i turn it off and leave it off for 10 min it will not start up bat will die..
its so frustrating that there is no good bat out there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.