Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I moved to Annapolis area, I decided to conquer the waters and grabbed myself a Dovekie 21. I know there are tons of sailing forums out there but want to see if any dot net members go out on the water. Could be fun to meet on the bay.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
I used to sail Lasers some time ago... It's been ages since I last did.

I would love to do it again... :-(

Nice boat you've got there!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Nice boat. I cruise every other year or so for a week with the wife and kids. All rental (moorings). Enjoy!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Haven't ever sailed, although it's something I could consider down the line... I'm sure my wife and kids would enjoy it if I could pull it off.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually considered a Laser but realized how much effort there is involved in keeping that thing upright and pointed in the right direction. Since I have zero sailing experience outside of that of a passenger and trimming jibs, I figured something calmer would make sense. This thing is quite willing to lean though not having a weighted keel (or any keel for that matter) and all. Quite a nice change of pace after getting off the CBR too, nice and easy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice boat. I've always wanted to try it. Maybe one day I can move closer to the water and give it a try.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
I actually considered a Laser but realized how much effort there is involved in keeping that thing upright and pointed in the right direction. Since I have zero sailing experience outside of that of a passenger and trimming jibs, I figured something calmer would make sense. This thing is quite willing to lean though not having a weighted keel (or any keel for that matter) and all. Quite a nice change of pace after getting off the CBR too, nice and easy.

I actually never took any lessons or any classes...

Just rented them and learnt on them...

I loved scaring my sister while sailing in a 60º angle!! jajajajaja

It's fun, it's the sea... it's great!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha, yeah, I terrified a friend of mine when we got hit by a good gust and picked up some water through the oar ports. It's surprising how much water gets through even though they have covers.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I was boyscout camp sailboat champion back in the day in upstate NY. Now a days I only sail if the motor dies on my jetski and I'm stranded. Its mostly paddling but I get some sail affect from the handlepole :)

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
That's a nice boat!

I used to sail small stuff as a kid, and had some time on larger craft.

worked on large ships for about 8 years.

Get yourself a small sailfish or hobie cat 14"?

( as a kid, most fun to play around with, and not a big deal if you run aground on them while you learn the local water)

Happy Sailing!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
A small catamaran could have been loads of fun and I looked at a Hobie 18. Preferred something a little more... Dry.

The Dovekie turns out to be pretty forgiving as long as you either point to wind or let the boom out if it gets hit by a gust and heels to the gunwale =) Also awesome to have the ability to beach it since it's a keel-less flat bottom.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Ahhh, I miss it.

Used to fly pontoons in Mission Bay (San Diego) when I was younger.

Good summer memories.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts