Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the bikes going to CA with me afterall next week!! I had to go to denver this morning, so i towed it along to make sure it was going to be OK. Not only did it tow perfectly, but it still got 30MPG in the process!



Got me one of those canyon dancer things too...works REALLY good. This should be the ONLY way to tie down a bike!



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The front is pulled forward and down by the tie downs, and the rear, if you look closely is pulled back and down by more tie downs. The front brake is also on and its in gear...even if the trailer did a 360, i doubt the bike would go anywhere!! :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, you can definetly feel the extra weight around town, but its fine on the highway...i dont plan on driving around all the time like this. Its just to take for LONG distances on extended highway stretches...try to keep out outta town as much as possible though. Ive got a 1100 mile drive of me next week, and wasnt going to take it along with me, but looks like ill be tearing up the So. CA coast on the bike!! :twisted:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fanatiCBR said:
What's the velcro for on the triple clamp? That where you put your
cell phone or something?
Its my 10 cent fix for the 85 dollar GPS holders. Works amazingly well, and havent had the thing come flying off yet...but i do lanyard it to my key just to be on the safe side!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,687 Posts
Jeffro600 said:
Yeah, you can definetly feel the extra weight around town, but its fine on the highway...i dont plan on driving around all the time like this. Its just to take for LONG distances on extended highway stretches...try to keep out outta town as much as possible though. Ive got a 1100 mile drive of me next week, and wasnt going to take it along with me, but looks like ill be tearing up the So. CA coast on the bike!! :twisted:
Can't pass that one up! :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,830 Posts
Cool, but you should have the rear straps pulling forward into the chock too, not rearward. Since that canyon dumper is essentially one strap, if it lets go, the rear straps will pull the bike off the back of the trailer. All straps should pull the bike into the front wheel chock. There is a chock on the trailer right? Can't see from the pic. If you are holding the bike just by pulling it in 2 directions you will end up with a bad trans and bent frame.
Oh yea, with the way I have my truck setup pictured below, I get 20mpg highway pulling 2 bikes. Just don't need that stupid Hemi. :lol2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,830 Posts
Bike rocking against the trans gears using the motor as a brake, not good. Pulling the frame in 2 different directions, not good. Seen some bikes at GMD that were never crashed, just tied down poorly for a year of going to the track and then they wonder why they handle weird. Nevermind the fact if a strap goes the bike will end up off the triler quickly.
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
CBRBob said:
Cool, but you should have the rear straps pulling forward into the chock too, not rearward. Since that canyon dumper is essentially one strap, if it lets go, the rear straps will pull the bike off the back of the trailer. All straps should pull the bike into the front wheel chock. There is a chock on the trailer right? Can't see from the pic. If you are holding the bike just by pulling it in 2 directions you will end up with a bad trans and bent frame.
Oh yea, with the way I have my truck setup pictured below, I get 20mpg highway pulling 2 bikes. Just don't need that stupid Hemi. :lol2:
Good tip! :thumbup: Never knew that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CBRBob said:
Bike rocking against the trans gears using the motor as a brake, not good. Pulling the frame in 2 different directions, not good. Seen some bikes at GMD that were never crashed, just tied down poorly for a year of going to the track and then they wonder why they handle weird. Nevermind the fact if a strap goes the bike will end up off the triler quickly.
I find it VERY hard to believe that a little bit of rocking back and forth will do any damage to the transmission while its in gear...considering the massive forces put on it while under a full load at its peak HP, i can assure you, the stresses of being on a trailer are nowhere near that! Not to mention, the brake is on and it doesnt rock at all. There is a bit of play built into a tranny...put your bike in gear and roll it forwards and backwards...it takes a few inches of movement for it to catch. As for pulling on the frame in two different directions, what do you think your doing when you tie yours down as shown? Your just pulling it forward and sideways instead of forward and back/and to the side like im doing. If your bending frames, or having a weird handling bike your seriously tieing your bike down with WAY too much force...and i think its in your head! In terms of tying it down properly, i see no more stress on the frame than maybe a 200 pound person sitting on it. In all the years ive been hauling bikes around, ive never had a strap "go"(knock on wood)...if it makes YOU feel better, ill put two on the sides too... :roll:
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top