Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did my first trackday at buttonwillow. I use my rear brake on the street all the time. I was told not to use the rear brake when I went to the track. It took me a while to get used to braking without using my rear brake., but by the 3rd round, I was getting the hang of it. Does anyone use their rear brakes at the track? If so, what is the proper technique? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I dont use it at all unless I run off into the gravel.

Plenty of successful racers say not to use it, and the same amount say they cant get by without it. I guess its personal preference. Just know that they arent really using it for heavy braking, but more to trail brake when already turned in and heavy braking is done.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
just dont go stomping on the rear brake and ull be fine....personally i hardly touch my rear brake unless I am coming in too hot or running wide

·
Registered
205 Posts
I used the rear brake my first day too. Came in too hot one time, heavy on the front brake slightly leand and tried to apply some back and it came round on me quick but saved it somehow. I asked round the pits and was told not to use it also.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
I went to use it once... Then realized I never put fluid in the m/c :) (because I never use it...)

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
i never use my rear brake at the track. the only time our instructors told us to use them is when you go off road, then use your rear brake only.

i hardly ever use the rear brake on the streets anymore coz i'm so used to the same at the track.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I've only used it when going off roading at the track. With that being said..I'm going to be taking myself to task and trying to utilize it more often for trail braking.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
I've only used it when going off roading at the track. With that being said..I'm going to be taking myself to task and trying to utilize it more often for trail braking.
Don't bother yourself too much with it. Yes it can be an asset but you have to sacrfice control in order to do it.

When you can trailbrake without using the rear while maintaining control you get the best of both worlds (just MHO though)

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Don't bother yourself too much with it. Yes it can be an asset but you have to sacrfice control in order to do it.

When you can trailbrake without using the rear while maintaining control you get the best of both worlds (just MHO though)
I could get pretty aggressive w/the front brake on my SV (03 gsxr750 front end), even at full lean, not sure of what I can get away with on the RR???

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I could get pretty aggressive w/the front brake on my SV (03 gsxr750 front end), even at full lean, not sure of what I can get away with on the RR???
Everyone has their own ideas of what "pretty aggressive" and "full lean" is, but in my idea of it, you'd be on the ground in the first corner if you tried that on any bike, let alone the RR.

I trail brake with the front, and like Niner said you can get away with it if you are smooth and dont ask too much of the front. Full lean and aggressive braking is too much and you'll go down. I love trail braking though, in places you can do it. Really allows me to set corner speed much better than if I just let off the brake and go in the corner. With trail braking, my corner speeds are much higher, plus I feel more stable doing it now than -get all braking done then steer-

·
Registered
482 Posts
use it under super heavy braking, or scrubbing a lil speed with a very slight, quick tap when tipping over going into the turn. it all depends on your riding style. I now some guys who could take the rear caliper off completely if they "wanted" to, they NEVER use it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i ran rear brake only on my harley for 6 years and wastruly comfortable like that even in emergency stops but the first ride on on my 03rr moving pretty good hit rear break and chinese acrobat time havent really used it since then and never on the track but i would like to have teck science or the physics info just to understand the true points at which the rear can be used and when not lean angle speeds cornering weight transfer probably to heavy to comprehend but trial and error is not an option for my old bones

·
Registered
212 Posts
i never use my rear brake at the track. the only time our instructors told us to use them is when you go off road, then use your rear brake only.

i hardly ever use the rear brake on the streets anymore coz i'm so used to the same at the track.
Exactly what I was gonna say, just got into the habit early of never using it besides specific situations

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
i ran rear brake only on my harley for 6 years and wastruly comfortable like that even in emergency stops but the first ride on on my 03rr moving pretty good hit rear break and chinese acrobat time havent really used it since then and never on the track but i would like to have teck science or the physics info just to understand the true points at which the rear can be used and when not lean angle speeds cornering weight transfer probably to heavy to comprehend but trial and error is not an option for my old bones
Nah, its not too heavy for you. Just think about it logically... there is no weight on the rear tire in heavy braking. the chances of locking it up go up exponentially, and because the rear tire is so light under heavy braking that even if you could use the brake without locking it up you arent going to get any stopping power anyways.

The reason you can kinda use it while entering the corner and off of the heavy braking is because some of the bike's weight has transferred back to the rear of the bike making the rear brake more usable.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If it's a wet trackday, I'll use the rear brake at the end of long straights.

If you think about it, the best chance of locking up the front tire is at the very beginning of your braking... before the weight has transferred to the front and the tire has squatted.

The least chance of locking up the rear tire is at the beginning of the braking zone.

So, I will use some rear brake just as I'm rolling off the throttle to help the bike squat rather than nosedive. As I progressively squeeze the front brake, I'll progressively let go of the rear... until I am back to just front brake.

I find this method helps ensure I don't grab the front brakes too hard, too soon... because I'm adding another step between gas and front brake.

If it's dry, or I'm just using the brakes to scrub a little speed... then I just use the front for the reasons mentioned above.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts