Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fascinated by the isle of mann, and just like racing at daytona, it is on my list of things to do in this lifetime.

I know the costs are monumental to say the least, but I was told that recieving entry as an american is not difficult since we are so few and far between. ( I was told this by and Englander while in Spain) But that the challenge lies in actually qualifying for it.

There was a guy who was featured on Speed who ran a Kawasaki at the Isle. And I remember reading an article on him trying to ride a bicycle around the island but the details are vaugue. Who is this guy and what was his name.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
ONEDWN5UP said:
There was a guy who was featured on Speed who...
He was on speed? No wonder he qualified! J/K
I couldn't help it!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember them saying they were doing everything they possibly could to help him qualify but it is challengning when A, not knowing the course like your competitors, and B, racing against people that have done this for a number of years.

Bike setup is also a supposed challenge since you have bumpy sections and actual jumps in a number of sections, then you have 180 mph open straights. So to find that balance must be tough.

The finances required to do this must be nuts. Tires, quick change swingarm and forks (even though it seesm like they just change the rear), additional wheel sets, basic mods depending upon class run, and oh yeah, the bike. And if you plan on running more than one class it is everything here X's 2 with additional costs for doing the formula class. And then there's the crew. Tires don't change themselves and bikes don't gas themselves back up. So make sure you add airfare and accomodations on top of everything else.

Still doesn't make me not want to do it. I need a big sponsor like Coke or Virgin Mobile. Or McDonalds. Some company that has global marketing appeal. How about Nike? I am sure they could make me a phat suit it they put their minds to it.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So does anybody have this guys name or what? I really want to know who this guy was/is.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Per Roadracing World:Tom Montano USA raced an MV Augusta 1000 and finished 13th place in the Senior Race. Wade Boyd USA had to pull out in the Superbike race (running a Yamaha R1) due to a loose steering damper. It goes on to say Craig McLean also raced but doesn't mention how he finished or what he was riding.

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
His last name may have been Winsman. A guy that I work with's son has raced in the Isle of Mann race. If it was him, I can get in touch with him. Why?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Call me crazy but I really want to know what is involved with racing the isle of mann as an american. Few people think about doing it and even fewer have the balls to actually try to do it.

I know a lot would be involved, namely acquiring sponsors who are willing to part with their money to send you overseas. But besides just finding sponsors, then selling them on the idea that giving you money to race in another country is good for them is probably only a small part of the equation.

I would like to be able to go to the isle of mann in 2007 and want to know what I have to do to get there. If you can put me in touch with anyone who is willing to tell me about their experience it would be greatly appreciated!

WherzRoony said:
His last name may have been Winsman. A guy that I work with's son has raced in the Isle of Mann race. If it was him, I can get in touch with him. Why?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im not really up on the history. I think Joey Dunlop was the only american to ever win it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The whole reason i have started racing also is to do my home,the isle of man (house about 3 miles from the course, which is quite convenient i might add), i've just moved from the island to america, me and my bro grew up watching it and said we'll do that someday, my bro started racing 2 years ago and is now entered for the first time in the Manx GP which is basically the same as the TT but he has to do the Manx GP before he can Qualify for the TT,so me and the wife go back home 18th Aug so i can be his pit crew,and i cant wait,so anyway back to the point once i start racing thats the first thing i'm looking into is how to get back to race the TT,cause thats the whole reason i've started, my bro is looking into it aswell for me now that i live in the states,i know i dont even know you but my mum takes people in all the time over the TT period,so people have a place to stay instead of camping,anyway i'm sure if you ever go to race or if your just going for 2007 which i'm trying to get back aswell cause thats one not to miss,i'm sure i'll be able to help you out alot when it comes to most things,seriously if you need to know anything then just let me know i'll be glad to help,i'll hopefully be racing the TT within 2 year well thats my plan anyway,cant wait to try and beat my bro, anyway i'm rambling, just let me know if you need anything.

Cheers

Tony

·
Superbike racer
6,177 Posts
dude you need to go and watch, experience the event and make your contacts while you are there. i believe it is something that you need to see 1st hand before you try the race. go in 2006 and check it out. you can start trying to put together a plan for 2007 but in 2006 you should be there watching

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's what I plan on doing. I plan on going there next year and renting a bike in London (already found a place that rents sport bikes). I am going to register to do the parade lap and then of course there is the several hours that they open the circuit up to the public. It's not like I could just show up and race with never being there. The plan would be to do it in 2007/8 if I could make it work financially.

BigTuna said:
dude you need to go and watch, experience the event and make your contacts while you are there. i believe it is something that you need to see 1st hand before you try the race. go in 2006 and check it out. you can start trying to put together a plan for 2007 but in 2006 you should be there watching

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks! You're the man!

WherzRoony said:
I just sent him an email, I'll let you know how I make out.

·
Registered
657 Posts
If anyone ever plans to race and go visit then give me a shout,i'm sure i could help you some way or another.weather it be where to stay or camp,best places to watch,best way of getting to the island,anything really i'm sure i'll be able to help just let me know

Cheers

Tony

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Tony. Do you plan on going back anytime soon or next year? Would be nice to hang with someone who has been there especially since I will just be scoping things out in lieu of a future attempt.

I started looking at all the application stuff and they want to know what endurance races you have done previously. Looks like I might have to do a few "team" challenge events by myself in order to log some long distance seat time. Either that or I'll have to do a few iron butt rallys.

tonyshowtime said:
If anyone ever plans to race and go visit then give me a shout,i'm sure i could help you some way or another.weather it be where to stay or camp,best places to watch,best way of getting to the island,anything really i'm sure i'll be able to help just let me know

Cheers

Tony

1 - 20 of 23 Posts