Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning I pulled a random mag out of the stack for my trip to the can, and i found this in one of last summers Motorcyclist. The artical was called "bigger is better, or is it?" and compaired the GSX-R1000 with the ZX-6R. i think these 2 paragraphs perfectly explaine why i love 600s. plus with the talk on this board about the new 1000rr and my own deep love for that bike i needed to be reminded. 600s really are more fun in the twisties.

"...Given the right balance of skill, common sense and willingness to wring the living snot out of it, the small bike will get from one end of that luscious stretch of meandering pavement about as quickly as the big one. Here's the difference: The GSX-R generates so much speed with so little effort that it genuinely loafs at velocities that will earn its rider a stint in various correctional facilites. Since there's no such thing as a small mistake on the big boy, discretion becomes the one and only part of valor. The chassis is truely brilliant and rarely wheelies with out overt encouragement, but any minor lapse in sanity can cause your right wrist to write a check the rear tire can't cash. At street speeds you'll never see more then half of what the GSX-R can do. Make peace with that fact and the Suzuki will be a constant source of adrenaline and joy even if you never get it to break a sweet.
Meanwile, the ninga needs you....flightly, demanding, and difficult to keep up with from time to time. Its more work to maintain to sort of RPM usually reserved for a Waring blender stuck on the frappe setting, but cue up 12,000 RPM exiting a sweeping third-gear corner just once and your hooked. Where the big bike mostly yawns at street speeds, the ninja makes going fast feel fast. Shift your weight a little and the chassis responds instantly. One finger on the lever and it scrubs off speed with rapid precision. You're really not going any faster then you would on the GSX-R, but it sure feels that way...its nice to be needed."

--Tim Carrithers, Motorcyclist.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i specifically remember reading that exact article! im always referring back to it when arguing that 600's are much more usable o nthe street to the average rider and that no one can ride a 1000 to it's FULL potential on the streets. good article for sure!

·
C.A.H.N founder / President
11,188 Posts
That mag is in the cabinet next to my can too. Great read too.

·
Registered
103 Posts
thats an awesome article, thats exactly why I put a shelfload of HRC parts on my 600 rr rather than get a new 1000. You can totaly use the bike to the redline all the time. heres a pic of the funnels, they are realy short compared to the stock set, polished to perfection too!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
i would assume it's just impossible to enjoy the 1000 as much as a cool 6. having the CONFIDENCE that you can let a little loose on a 600cc makes riding (track and street) so much better. you can go throttle happy, and feel like "holy sh*t, i'm owning this fukkin engine" when you're shifting gears @ 13.5k.

on the RR, your front won't lift up as easily (stock gearing, chain, sprockets). this in turn lets you wring the fukkin rubber off the grips. it's an awesome feeling. You can get closer to the bike's limits, faster and safely. On a bike w/ 170hp, you're much more likely to Fukk up in the process...whether your tire slips from under you exiting the turn, or the front lifts up on you in 3rd gear, then comes down violently and helllllo headshake/highside.

600's truly are just more fun.

Nothing against the liters, of course to each his/her own.

·
2006 BOTY WINNER
814 Posts
So I guess I have to be the odd man out. I find the 600 a great track bike, but for the street I would never have the 600 over the 1000. the 1000rr makes such a broad usable power band I find myself not haveing to shift all the time like on the 600. Out of town when I am in the upper digits on the speedometer the 1000 will always gets better gas mileage than the 600, which is working harder to keep up, at those triple digit speeds. When we push them hard I am lucky to get 60 miles out of the tank on the 600 compared to 80 miles on the 1000, and up here with the gas stops not that close it makes a difference. Just ask anyone who has both, which they would rather have if they could only have 1.

And the headshake setting the front down after 120mph wheelie is a non issue with the dampner(stock).

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I remember reading that too and wholeheartedly agree. I agreed back when I was riding my gs500 in the canyons, up against the 600's and 1000's.

I dont understand the whole "dont want to shift so much" argument for a literbike. I dont feel I'm shifting much at all, especially with such a broad rpm range. its not like you wouldnt get up to 6th gear on the freeway on a literbike, same as you would a 600.

The tightest canyons are one gear, wide open they're 2 or 3 gears tops. At streets of willow trackday last week I was in 2nd almost the entire time (tight track) except for 2 straights where I got to 3rd. I cant imagine being so lazy as to not want to shift ONE additional time.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
^^^ lol.
definitely with ya on the "shifting" complaint. a downshift takes MAYBE .3 seconds. and an upshift, even less.

a PCIII USB fixes your powerband if you don't like the current one....

600RR stock gearing puts you at 5 or 6k cruising speed in 5th on the highway (65mph).

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
highside, i was wondering how long it would take you to chime in on this thread...

i think the question is what kind of street riding are you talking about? I can see how one would favor a 1000 on the street if you're talking about light to light, around town, highway over here, ride down the drag over there, kinda street riding. but in the twisties i can't fathom that someone would say, "600 on track, 1000 on street." it just doesn't make sence when the roads are tighter, have trees and/or cliffs along the side, and 35 mph signs.

·
Registered
610 Posts
i'm not sure if i'll ever own a 1000. if i do, it'll be a race bike, for sure. riding on the street is an exercise in self control and frustration as it is. it'd be alot worse knowing you had 160+ hp on tap.

750s on the other hand.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went from a 600RR to a 06 1000RR. The 600RR feels more nimble, but debating the handling of the two bikes in "twisties" seems like spliting hairs to the average rider. They are both incredible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts