Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is that? What is needed for a trackday? I have never been before, but I am looking to go. Where in the NJ area are there tracks, and is there anyway to find a place (off the streets) to ride for cheaper?

Thanks.

Kyle

·
Superbike racer
6,177 Posts
Kyle

Do a track day with www.teampromotion.com

they do plenty of days at Pocono Raceway....they are a great organization. Well except for that old guy CBRBob :mrgreen:

why are they expensive???? insurance costs, maintence of a track, the fact that you need corner workers, ambulance crews etc etc....

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
cheaper than a ticket and the insurance increase that would result from a ticket. You get to speed all day long without things like cars, trees, curbs, gravel covered roads, or untethered puppy dogs ruining your day. It's a bargain.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Ha, ha, ha . . . try racing . . . then you'll really know the menaing of expensive . . . .

But seriously, pretty much what BigTuna said . . . including the stuff about CBRBob . . . .

·
Registered
623 Posts
There are no tracks in NJ, for now at least. Your best bet is Team Promotions or New York Sportbike club. TPM and NYSBC can be compared like this:

TPM = Domino's / Pizzahut Pizza

NYSBC = Favorite local pizza spot around the block

I like them both. Check either one of their sites for all your answers regarding what is needed.

·
Registered
624 Posts
eRacer777 said:
As long as you're not racing insurance should cover it. A buddy of mine just got his check from his trackday accident.

Are you sure he actually told the insurance company where he was at and what he was doing? That's a new one on me, insurance company paying for an accident that occurred on a race track.

·
Registered
777 Posts
vdub18t said:
eRacer777 said:
As long as you're not racing insurance should cover it. A buddy of mine just got his check from his trackday accident.

Are you sure he actually told the insurance company where he was at and what he was doing? That's a new one on me, insurance company paying for an accident that occurred on a race track.
Its true. Most insurance companys look at a track day as learning not racing. because most track days include a school on how to improve your riding. I have a buddy that just crashed at our last track day and his insurance is going to cover the whole thing.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Though I have not had the occassion to use it, it is my understanding from Progressive Insurance that:

Track day (No racing . . . but couched in terms of rider improvement/practice): Coverage

Race day (Club racing: C.C.S.., W.E.R.A., etc.): No Coverage

I know of others who have successfully made claims. Check ahead of time with your insurance company if you have any doubt. Ask them if they provide coverage for riding on a closed circuit for the purpose of rider improvement.

They won't give you an opinion letter to that affect, but you could ask them to cite the specific provision in the policy that they believe gives you the right to such coverage.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Call a track and ask them to send you an informational packet on hosting an event. Talk about sticker shock!!!

Some organizations are better than others in that some make a healthy profit on an event while others may only look to make enough to cover their own costs (free trackday, tires, travel, food, hotel, etc).

Also big difference in the 'amenities' provided. Some provide next to nothing while others kiss your @ss like you are at a vacation resort (read what goes on here for more upscale experience www.keigwins.com).

Insurance generally pays as long as there is not a paying purse involved in the activity. This covers trackdays, STAR school, etc. Just don't wreck in qualifying session for a race weekend and expect them to pay.

Easier for those who take their streetbikes to the track as this is a pretty easy call. Purpose-built trackbikes are harder to argue, but can still be covered. Don't know anyone who takes out insurance on a track/racebike though. Mine is only covered for Theft.

I love talkin' trackdays...17 weeks until Daytona, the first sign of Spring!!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Good Info, Thanks for the knowledge.

I was always being extra careful on track days, cause I don't have it paid off all the way, and the full coverage insurance I'm paying wouldn't help out if I wiped it big time.
Track Days vs. Competition ... ahh ... yes. I shall be much more comfortable in the corners and at the end of straight aways. Whew!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts