Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Ya'll betta RECKOGNIZE!!!!
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
people are seriously crazy thinking that they can sell their used bike for so much.. here are some of the ones that i see localy.

guy i work with just bought a 98 FZR600 for 2600. but the guy was asking 3,800. needles to say 2600 is about right maybe a bit high,, but 3800??

here are some other..

1995 CBR900RR
too much to list, very fast, never down, must see, $4750 B/O Watervliet, NY (518) 588-7185

1993 CBR600 F2
mint cond, runs excel, needs nothing, always garaged, adult owned, $3900 Hudson Falls, NY (518) 321-3745

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
oh jessus....that is high!

some guys at my area was selling a yellow F3(or F2, i don't remember) for like 600 dollars. It was a lil banged up, but seems like a deal tho!

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
Well, the KBB of the 95 F3 is $3195 and the 93 F2 is $2730. Obviously, these numbers are related to mileage as well. So, if the bikes have exceptionally low mileage as well as a great maintenance record, then sure, you might see a bit of a price hike. You also have to factor in aftermarket accessories, e.g. slip-ons, gearing, etc. All these things can add up. You can't just use the KBB value as "that's what he supposed to sell it at." Obviously, you don't have to buy it if you think it's too high, and they don't have to sell it if they think you're lowballing.

Also people don't want to believe that the depreciation of bikes is that much faster than cars. The moment you roll your bike off the lot, the value drops precipitously, unless you own an exotic.

N

·
0 Posts
The older rare models I can understand the price hike but some of the recent ones I'm just baffled.

I see them all the time.

2003 RR 16,000 miles, $6000
2004 RR 13,000 miles, daily commuter, $7000
2005 RR 12,000 miles, $7400

The list just goes on and on. But that's a good thing for me cuz when I sell mine I'll make sure to jack up the price to $8000.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Actually because they know that there is somebody out there who is desparate to ride..therefore they will get away with it. A motorcycle WILL sell.

·
Registered
479 Posts
They are worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

Older hondas hold their value very well, and actually if either that 900RR or F2 are as nice as they look in the pics then the prices are pretty fair. I'd say that there is about $500 to negotiate on either one of them.

They have depreciated as much as they are going to, so really it just comes down to their condition to determine a fair price.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
If taken care of properly, a good bike can outlast a car and will cost much less in upkeep. We pay good money for the motorcycles we have today, that is why people aren't gonna part with their bikes for nothin. I think for the most part, the used market is a sellers market still. Motorcycles don't depreciate like cars do. I mean, take my car for instance. I bought the first 1.8T Audi A4 sent to America in 1996. It is really considered a 1997 though, but it is the first of its kind. It has 62k on the odometer and not one door ding...perfect car. I did the valve cover gasket the other day and the valvetrain is spotless...not even any of that brown glaze. Synthetic oil and OEM filter changes every 3k from 500mi on odometer until now(62K). So anyway, the car is only worth $6-7k today regardless. I bought it for $28k and it is still practically new. You think I will sell it to you or anyone else for $6-7K? Not a chance. People have money invested in their toys and if the motorcycle is still good...it's worth some money still even if it isn't the newest thing.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Old CBR's are classic, especially the cherry ones. To a lot of people, $3K towards a good solid used CBR is better than $9K or more for a new one. It may be old, but my friends 87 CBR 600 still kicks ass and he still kills me on it at the crest...and I'm on an 06! Now, it's a fact that he is a better rider...but I've seen that bike of his perform beyond what I thought it was capable of. He tells me it is still a sick sportbike to ride.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Also remember some people aren't in a rush to sell their stuff. If you're not really that desperate to part with your bike, you may not really mind sitting on it for a bit waiting for the right buyer. Not to mention, people willing to spend more for a well kept older bike may have a higher chance of taking care of it once they become the owner, which might mean something to the previous owner...

I know when I sold my last Supra, I passed on a few offers from people I didn't think would care for it very well. I wanted the car gone but didn't want it to just go to any fool who would put it into the wall right after buying and I wasn't in a big rush to sell. So I waited for a good buyer who gave me my full asking price and was a previous Supra owner himself.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Old CBR's are classic, especially the cherry ones. To a lot of people, $3K towards a good solid used CBR is better than $9K or more for a new one...He tells me it is still a sick sportbike to ride
exactly. that's why i talk myself out of a new one every year. keep it maintained and clean and it will go forever, and i'm convinced that learning to go fast on this bike is making me a better rider.

that said, i still want an RR, which is why i talk myself into one every year just before i talk myself out of it again. lol. :)

Not to mention, people willing to spend more for a well kept older bike may have a higher chance of taking care of it once they become the owner, which might mean something to the previous owner...
very good point. if i ever sell mine i will fall into this catagory.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got a hard on for the F2's so I would be willing to give $3k for that one if its as nice as the pics. IMO with some bikes the physical alure is more important than the monetary value.:cruising:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
people are seriously crazy thinking that they can sell their used bike for so much.. here are some of the ones that i see localy.
You have to understand something. This involves some economics. No matter what KBB pricing is, or what people say it is worth, it's a supply and demand market. The supply of used bikes is low, even new bikes are hard to find sometime. This is controlling the price. Some of them may be outrageous, but some fit in with the market. Notice how prices go up before summer, there is more demand from the people who want to get into riding.

I think it's perfectly reasonable, and aside for the few skewing the results, it's a great example of supply and demand.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Sellers do not dictate the price of used bikes, the market does. If bikes are going for more than someone is willing to pay, then that person is lower in the demand pool. If a seller is asking more for a bike than the market will support, he will have a bike for sale for a long time because nobody will buy it.

I think it's rediculous though that people are getting almost as much for an 01-02 F4i than it cost new in 01 or 02. When the manufacturers raise the price of new bikes, for some reason the price of used bikes goes up with it. Weird.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts