Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ever since my ride got stolen...

I've had this urge to build a bike from the ground up. So doing a bit of research and some math. If i build a bike from the ground up (take example a 2003 600rr), it might actually end up costing MORE than if i were to just buy one already assembled. On top of all this the frame you purchased might have a salvage title and the engine you bought might have problems.

so my question is now.... why do people build their own bikes? Why not just wait a bit and buy someone else's?

Besides the possible fun hobby factor... why do people do it?

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
i do it to have something unique ,and ive never yet spent more than it takes to buy one new or already customized .

i would neve rbuy someone elses bike already to go and i would never in a million years buy new.You can have a brand new bike in about 3 months after they come out,cuz the salvage yards will start collecting them from the newbs who bought new off the showroom and dumped it 30min later.

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
id also take that route.
for me starting from the bottom up...would be for self satisfaction and something fun to do.
youll get to customize/upgrade/mod it the way you want. jus like you stated...fun hobby factor.

im thinkin later down the road to find a salvaged, yet very stable and reliable 07 to build for track/street.
i know theres noobs out there that have wrecked and claimed it a total loss. but yet is a really still reliable bike to build on.

·
Jack Daniels is my bff
1,985 Posts
Are you talking about buying everything piecemeal and building it? Lol...i guess you could do that but it would take a long time and prbly end up costing more. Id just find a decend used one take it apart and customize the hell out of it or find a salvage, rebuild it and track it....

·
Registered
180 Posts
I am doing some what of this kinda of thing right now. I have a 03 RR I got with a bad motor and light hit in the front($1500). So now I have it completely apart, I have an 06 motor going into it, also fixing and painting all body parts for my style. Number one reason self satisfaction and if something goes wrong only one person to blame (yourself).. Total when all said and done right around 2700 bucks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Good for the soul. And you appreciate a machine a lot more when so much of your blood and sweat has gone into it.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am doing some what of this kinda of thing right now. I have a 03 RR I got with a bad motor and light hit in the front($1500). So now I have it completely apart, I have an 06 motor going into it, also fixing and painting all body parts for my style. Number one reason self satisfaction and if something goes wrong only one person to blame (yourself).. Total when all said and done right around 2700 bucks.

See this is what I'm talking about... I've been really interested in building a bike from the ground up but I'm getting mixed responses from people.

Some of you guys are telling me it's going to cost more, and some of you guys claim to have spent only 2700 bucks to rebuild an entire bike?

I guess my question to those who spend so little to build a bike is....simply...HOW? I've been shopping around for frames and engines and they themselves cost over 2000. And i'm pretty sure you cant get the rest of the stuff for less than 700 bucks...

Please if anyone has any tips on how to get started on building this bike, let me know. I'm very interested......

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
you are better off buying a wrecked bike that runs, and has a straight frame. ^ if u buy everything individually it will cost ya.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well if i end up building this thing its because my roomate and i thought it would be a fun project... plus i think i can get a decent clean title frame and engine for a good price. so i can stepp over that initial financial hump... so im raelly just looking into the other parts and how much that might cost me....fairings, forks, swingarm...etc

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks paul. I'll look into it and i'll definately keep you guys updated on whether we decide to take this project on or not.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The starter bike to start is the key to the price. Like I said mine was 1500 bucks for the bike, I thought that was a killer price to start it out with except more pieces came in a box then on the bike lol. Long story short I just knew a girl who bought the bike for her boyfirend, he rode it with no insurance and wrecked. She didn;t know how or who to sell it to. So I flashed the only cash i had in her face and she took it in a heart beat. Best 1500 bucks I spent. And no I don;t think you'll find a deal this good but you never know when people are desporate.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what damage did the bike have when you purchased it? I'm thinking i might just want to wait till march or april where some newb will crash their 08 1krr, lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts