Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to the canyons by myself for the first time today. I'd been several times before but always w/ a couple of other riders. I realized how much more different it is when you ride by yourself. Don't get me wrong. I totally enjoy group rides but I found that when you ride alone you can focus more on riding. I enjoyed my ride so much that it got me thinking. Why hadn't I discovered this passion earlier in my life. To think how much I was missing out on.

I've been riding for almost 2yrs logging 6k miles. Before taking the MSF class I didn't even know how to operate a motorcycle. My 07 600rr is my first ever bike. Some may say it's too much bike for a beginner but I believe as long as you respect the bike and the road you should be ok. I remember not having any interest in owning a bike. I just wanted to learn how to ride one just to know how to ride one. I always pictured the hero like James Bond in a tight squeeze needing to get a way and jumping on whatever was available at his disposal. Now, I wish I had picked up this "addiction", as Moe would call it, a lot sooner. If you asked me why I ride before, I would say "just to say that I can". I'm no adrenalin junky or risk taker but If you ask me now, it's because I love the ability to maneuver a machine through the twists and turns. Why do you do it?

·
Registered
960 Posts
It's a pure passion, Majority of my time and money got to my bike.
I'm looking into racing at out local MRA racing season next year.

I got my lady to ride.

I put about 10,000 a year on my bike and 3,000 on my car.

Have almost every single sport bike magazine out there.

Got autographs from famous SBK riders.

I work on trackdays and racing events.

My paychecks are planned around my bike.

You could put a supercar in front of me and I still take a bike. Or sale the car and get a Desmo.

Hopefully the Lord above permits me to ride for a long time.

I just graduate college about 2 weeks ago. But I did it to have something to fall back on if racing doesnt work for me also it helps my get a better job to make more money to be in the sport.

Can forget group rides, bike nights, and canyon carving.

To me it just a pure passion.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I do it for the freedom.

When I'm in a car, I know that I'm in a car - I've got a steering wheel in front of me, a door to my right, the backseat behind me, etc. and it all constantly reminds me that I'm stuck in a cage. But when I'm riding my bike, I can actually forget that I'm on a bike and it's just me and the open road and I love that feeling, that's why I ride.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I do it because I like adventure. I also always wanted to be like the guys in MotoGP haha (when I was like 16 years old).

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The power rush for little $$$, thinking of nothing else but the road in front of you. Knowing i can out gun any one else on the road with 4 wheels :) The noise of the exhaust, the relief of passing traffic congestion

·
Registered
589 Posts
Everytime I get on my bike I just think its the ultimate machine.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I ride because its fun and makes me feel alive, really alive; I love the rush, the intimacy with my surroundings, the freedom it gives, the risk and the visual excitement. Its socially positive and entertainment wise, pound for pound, IMO, you cant beat them.Motorcycles to me are like a fairground ride where I get to design a new ride every time I ride...I aint complete without a bike.

OP, that you wish you had found motorcycling earlier is common. I have been lucky to start very young and even luckier that I have converted many friends into motorcyclists. Those who dont know, just dont know what they are missing..

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ride because its fun and makes me feel alive, really alive; I love the rush, the intimacy with my surroundings, the freedom it gives, the risk and the visual excitement. Its socially positive and entertainment wise, pound for pound, IMO, you cant beat them.Motorcycles to me are like a fairground ride where I get to design a new ride every time I ride...I aint complete without a bike.

OP, that you wish you had found motorcycling earlier is common. I have been lucky to start very young and even luckier that I have converted many friends into motorcyclists. Those who dont know, just dont know what they are missing..
Very well said.:five:

·
Registered
412 Posts
I can be in the worst mood ever, pissed off, upset, depressed or just generally spaced out.

When I go for a ride I am able to literally leave all of that negative energy behind me and just focus on the moment.

I don't require a destination; I just go and see where I end up. It never fails, when I'm done I always feel better.

That's why I do it.

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
For some it's a passion... my first car was a 1980 Kawi 550LTD ...I have just always loved motorcycles. Now that I am alot older, it has become somewhat Therapeutic ...I love hitting the twisties on the RR but i do enjoy them just as much on my cruiser. I'm not attached to just sportbikes, I love them all. From the RR to the Apillia, to the BMW, to the HD Ultra Classic, to the Kawasaki Z1000. I would have them all if i could.
It's my only real escape from everyday bulsh!t.

Glad you found a new release.
Be safe out there.

P.S.
I know what you mean about riding alone, but you also have to keep in mind that if something were to happen to you, it would be nice to have a friend there that can get you help.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For some it's a passion... my first car was a 1980 Kawi 550LTD ...I have just always loved motorcycles. Now that I am alot older, it has become somewhat Therapeutic ...I love hitting the twisties on the RR but i do enjoy them just as much on my cruiser. I'm not attached to just sportbikes, I love them all. From the RR to the Apillia, to the BMW, to the HD Ultra Classic, to the Kawasaki Z1000. I would have them all if i could.
It's my only real escape from everyday bulsh!t.

Glad you found a new release.
Be safe out there.

P.S.
I know what you mean about riding alone, but you also have to keep in mind that if something were to happen to you, it would be nice to have a friend there that can get you help.
Most definitely. I would prefer the group rides any day.

·
Registered
379 Posts
for me it just is the feeling i get.. i wanna say ecstacy but ionno i just can't describe how awesome it is to just ride.. that and im a adrenaline junkie

·
Registered
193 Posts
I ride, because i feel great when i do. i dont have to worry about working or school or anything...well the traffic (unless im in the twisties) but even then i can just look around and see me, nature, and the one thing thats makin my ass go, and i love it

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
If I could put it in one word it'd be "euphoria." It just makes me feel complete, energized, and free. Always great to forget all the worries in the world and enjoy the beauty of nature (in the case of riding in the canyons and wilderness and what not).

I'm like the OP though and just always had the urge to want to learn how to drive everything. I still haven't made it up to heavy machinery yet, haha... but that's how I got into it and got immediately hooked the first time I even sat on a bike.
It's a pure and somewhat innocent passion, I love it

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Freedom. When I'm riding, no one bothers me. Even in group rides, I don't hear anyone talking to me; it's just me inside my helmet, and on my bike :)

Like the OP, the 600rr was my first bike. I took the MSF course right after I graduated from college because I had always wanted to learn to ride one. I enjoyed the first day of the MSF course so much that as I was driving home, I sat at a stop sign staring into a wall for 45 seconds and just imagining how fun it'd be to ride and enjoy the freedom of not having to take passengers.

After 7 months of riding, I've put on 8000 miles :-D

Freedom!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts