Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i use mine almost everytime i get on the brakes because i commute pretty much everyday in stop and go traffic.

i thought it was common sense that using the front and the rear will allow shorter stop distances in case of emergency. hell, i even use mine very gently in the rain with no problems whatsoever.

it just seems like everyone is terrified of the evil rear brake when it may save your ass one day.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I was thinking the same thing...reading all these posts where everyone claiming they don't use their rear brakes, only their fronts :neutral: I try to use both at the same time all the time.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I use mine all the time. I have no idea why you wouldn't. I suppose that one could argue that a majority of the stopping power is with the front, but I for one like to know that I am using 100% of my stopping power. I will admit that there are times when it just isn't necessary, but for the most part... I use the rear brake.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I mostly only use the fronts because Im not skilled enough to tactfully manipulate the rear brake in hard conditions. On the street especially, overusing the rear brake is more likely going to hurt you rather than help you.

It can easily cause a highside if you get even a bit overzealous, (then back off)

Its easier to put alot of weight on the foot lever inadvertedly, more so than a hand lever.

Also, you can use a superbikes copious engine braking to slow the rear wheel in the majority of planned stops.

Mostly because its really easy to lock up the rear, and alot of the stopping power comes from the front anyways

With all that said- yeah, tactfully using the rear brake in all situations is probably a better approach, but just using the fronts eliminates alot of variables, and especially for newbs, makes it safer if not the most proficient.

·
Registered
595 Posts
i use the rear on the streets when just going from light to light, but track training taught me to keep my toes up on the pegs and that alone makes it a chore to reach my foot down for the rear brake. I stay on my toes to keep them from dragging, so i never have my foot in a position to reach for the rear.

casual riding is one thing and track riding is another. I guess most people that NEVER use the rear brakes are trying to say that they only ride aggressively or something. There ARE members on here that ONLY ride on the track, and i can see why THEY wouldn't ever use the rear brakes. People that ride on the streets use their rear brakes or at least they should be.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Its all in your comfort level I think. I for one am highly confident of the front and only a little of the rear, although the rear has saved me several time going off track into the dirt. I still know I am better on the front and also know that for probably 95% of the people I can out break using just the front then they could using both and in 95 % of the conditions as well.

·
Registered
484 Posts
wow. so far i'm unconvinced by the reasons for not using the rear brake. it doesn't seem like a likely scenario that one would lock up the rear wheel if one were depending on the front for majority stopping power. (yes, i know it's possible and i've done it intentionally, but you really have to hammer down on that pedal and go easy on the front. in a panic situation, however, it's just not as likely. you're more likely to lift the rear from heavy front usage than lock it up, and then the rear isn't doing anything anywahy.) as for engine braking before a stop, one would only be able to using the engine to slow down so much before needing brakes. at that point, one would have much better control of the bike if he used engine braking plus front and rear brakes. and in emergency situations you don't have time to engine brake. hamming down on the front brake in those situations is likely to make things much worse: you'll upset the chassis big time and you still wouldn't stop as fast as you would have if you had used the front and rear. as for track use, doesn't the rear brake help to settle the chassis and final drive going into and exiting turns?

i dunno. i use the rear brake all the time, while riding aggressively or not. it's there for a good reason. learning how to use it properly is just about a non-question for me.

·
Superbike racer
6,177 Posts
i am not afraid of the rear brake, but the front brakes give you all the braking power you need. i rarely use the rear brake, once in awhile i will lock it up to slide into a stop sign or something.....but on the track my toes are on the pegs and rarely do i use it.....once in awhile i will tap it......but for no other reason than it doesn't offer much stopping power

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
phaderlanx said:
I mostly only use the fronts because Im not skilled enough to tactfully manipulate the rear brake in hard conditions. On the street especially, overusing the rear brake is more likely going to hurt you rather than help you.

It can easily cause a highside if you get even a bit overzealous, (then back off)

Its easier to put alot of weight on the foot lever inadvertedly, more so than a hand lever.

Also, you can use a superbikes copious engine braking to slow the rear wheel in the majority of planned stops.

Mostly because its really easy to lock up the rear, and alot of the stopping power comes from the front anyways

With all that said- yeah, tactfully using the rear brake in all situations is probably a better approach, but just using the fronts eliminates alot of variables, and especially for newbs, makes it safer if not the most proficient.
Not knowing how much pedal to use in an emergency situation is not the correct justification for not using it. For those riders who don't use your rear brake because of this, practice! It's is VERY important to know how much rear brake you have available before the tire breaks loose. Go to a parking lot and practice hard breaking using the rear brake ONLY. Start off slowly and work your way up to a spirited braking routine. When you start to hear the rear tire "screaming" at you, you know you've reached the tires limit. It will start to "scream" right before it breaks loose. Don't push past the limit.

When you feel comfortable with your new found rear brake skills, switch to the front and practice on the front brakes only. Once you start using both front and rear, you've just improved your stopping distance by 10-15%!

Now, once you have mastered using both front and rear together you can move on to phasing in engine-braking which will help even more. However, be very careful with engine-braking if your not used to it. DO NOT "dump" the clutch during heavy engine-braking at high RPM's. You won't like the results! Simply slip the clutch slowly until your more familiar with the bikes characteristics. It's not possible for me to tell you at what RPM to downshift from gear to gear. There's too many variables that change this factor. (i.e. riders weight, tire life, tire pressure, road conditions) You'll just have to find the "sweet spot" on your own. Just make sure when you practice this technique there are no cars behind you. I wouldn't want anyone to get run over practicing!

Good luck, ;-)

Tim

·
Registered
45 Posts
I use mine all the time and belive its good to practice locking it up at 20-30mph if you know how to manipulate the handlebars to keep from loosing your rear wheel it will save your a** from hi siding some day if you ever do get on real hard.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use them both together....that's how you keep your bike stable under extreme braking. Use the rear with your front under hard braking and it will help eliminate that wiggle from the rear.

·
Registered
287 Posts
the rear brake is all i use on the street, i use it to stop for lights, stop in traffic, slow myself down while splitting lanes. Saves the front brakes for the canyons, will add on a few thousand miles before i have to change pads.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
when the cager infront of me decides to slam on his brakes.. i usually slam on my rear brakes, causing it to lock up and having my back whip side to side with a nice long mark like i used to do on my huffy.. haha its quick thinking if you ask me.. would it be safer to jam on the front brakes, letting that lock up or getting on the rear brakes and having it whip out? anyways, i use my rear brakes often.. sometimes when im just cruising and need to slow down a bit

·
Registered
154 Posts
There`s no need to use the rear brakes unless you want some drifting...!
The frontbrakes are powerful enough to lift the backwheel, so why would there be any use for the backbrake?
I never use mine. When braking really hard one the front, the engine can make the backwheel go from side to side. What use will the backbrake have then?
The ONLY time I use mine, is when going very slowly dowhill on gravel. Because I`d rather lock up my backwheel, than my front in that situation.

Just my opinion... ;-)

·
Registered
392 Posts
shifty5616 said:
i use my rear brakes as much, if not more than my fronts
same here.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts