Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a huge motorcycle racing fan. My favorite and most competitive series is World Superbike/Supersport. I have always wonderd why Honda doesn't do well in the AMA.

Why doesn Honda not do well in the AMA? Yet they do awesome in World Superbike/Supersport. Honda has dominated formula X-treme but that is it in the AMA. Is the AMA not very Honda freindly as far as set ups go and such?

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Well this is honda's (what 2nd or 3rd year) as R&D by American Honda. In case you didn't know, they used to lease the bikes from HRC. But they felt they could do more work to the bike if it was 'their' team...

So American Honda took over the race team for AMA. Ever since it has kinda fallen off some, but we have seen a steady climb back up and hopefully will see some more podiums out of MD and JZ this year!

That and BS and MM are damn FAST!

Here, maybe this will help some: http://www.hondaredrider.com/insideline/archivefeaturedetail.asp?PageNum=2&ArticleID=090111c0801e7d67&Type=RR&bhcp=1

·
Registered
45 Posts
WSB superbike and supersport rules allows more/different mods than AMA rules. Also honda doesn't offer contingency support in ama so privateers pick the bikes that pay so more developement is done on those bikes. TenKate racing has shown the bikes have what it takes -- they have put out the most potent hondas being raced.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
The mods don't matter because ALL the teams must comply, if Honda can't do it then neither can Zuk, Kawi, etc...

·
Registered
45 Posts
The mods do matter -- World supersport allows more mods than ama and you can see how competitive the hondas are there. Also some mods may be effective with one brand but not the next.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
I agree with that some mods will work better for some bikes then others... but I don't agree that it's the rules fault that the Honda has been less competitive (in AMA Superbike).

I say it's a combination of American Honda taking over the Race Effort and riders.

Gotta give the credit to Ben Spies and Matt Mladin, they are FAST!

But once again that's just my opinion.

K

·
0 Posts
The mods do matter -- World supersport allows more mods than ama and you can see how competitive the hondas are there. Also some mods may be effective with one brand but not the next.
You're forgetting that a Euro Spec 600RR is a more powerful bike out of the box than an US Spec 600RR to begin with.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
You're forgetting that a Euro Spec 600RR is a more powerful bike out of the box than an US Spec 600RR to begin with.
That goes for street legal bikes, I would HIGHLY doubt that applies to race bikes. And it wouldn't affect the competitive nature in AMA since that applies to ALL the bikes, not just Honda.

K

·
0 Posts
That goes for street legal bikes, I would HIGHLY doubt that applies to race bikes. And it wouldn't affect the competitive nature in AMA since that applies to ALL the bikes, not just Honda.
Actually, it does on both fronts. AMA SuperSport series is Stock motor. I mean showroom floor STOCK. you're right that the big guns put a lot of competion into AMA stock class races, but this year, Kawasaki beat Honda. They have a more powerful, better balenced design this go around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts